SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

1/35 PT 109 Conversion

13 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
1/35 PT 109 Conversion
Posted by steves on Wednesday, November 18, 2009 10:05 AM

Since there always seems to be a lot of interest on this forum in pt boats in general, and particularly PT 109, I have attached some photos of my conversion of the Italeri 1/35 PT 596 kit. My original intent had been to produce a generic, fresh from the factory, early 80' Elco boat, similar to the well known photo series of PT 117, in an early war dark grey over light grey paint scheme. In fact, I really wanted to avoid a PT 109 model for several reasons, mostly the scarcity of documentation for her exact appearance and fit during Jack Kennedy's tenure as her skipper, and it seems that PT 109 models have become almost a bit of a cliche. I'm not quite sure how it happened (probably a visit to the Kennedy Library in Boston two summers ago had a lot to do with it) but somehow the project turned into "another PT 109 model".  The model is meant to represent her as she was on the famous night of August 1-2, 1943, prior to being rammed and cut in two by the Japanese destroyer Amagiri.

As most will know, built from the box the Italeri PT 596 kit depicts a very late production 80' Elco boat, while PT 109 was one of the earliest 80' boats built.  Though the early and late boats share the same hull, running gear and basic layout above the deck line, there are actually a large amount of detail differences between the two.  In fact, apart from the hull, propellers and shafts, rudders, and mufflers, the only parts from the kit that could be used unmodified were the smoke generator, 50 cal machine guns and mounts, and some deck fittings such as cleats and bitts.  Everything else had to be either modified from the kit parts or built from scratch.

The major scratchbuilding effort was the four torpedo tubes, each of which contains over 200 individual pieces. Other scratchbuilt parts were the foredeck vents, depth charges and racks, early type mast, new engine room companionway and 20mm cannon base, sight and shoulder brackets. There are also modifications to the charthouse-bridge area, including relocating the 50 cal machine gun mount forward and modified windshield and spray shields and a new instrument panel.  The day cabin and engine room hatch area were also reworked.  Some of the kit parts, such as the ventilator cowls , were cast in resin as I needed more of them than the lit provided.  I also used some of the Eduard PE set for PT 596 as well as their 1/35 50 cal ammo belts for the gun turrets. The 37mm anti tank gun is a 1/35 resin kit by Trakz.

While building a truly accurate replica of PT 109 is probably not possible due to the lack of documentation, I have tried to build a model that it is at least consistent with the few photos and descriptions of PT 109 that are available.  The many non-documented details, such as exact colors, whether the mast was removed or folded back, or exactly how the 37 mm gun was lashed to the foredeck, represent my best interpretation/guess at how things might have looked.  What I have not done is attempt any major weathering or depiction of any of the repairs and/or damage that PT 109 was known to have undergone.  I'm just not very good at those techniques so I'm sure the model depicts the boat as much cleaner and less "beat up" than she actually was.

All told the build took about a year and a half, but work on several other projects accounted for some of that time.  My references for the basic PT 103 boat have mainly been Al Ross' plans and manual for his Bluejacket kit, along with Allied Coastal Forces.  I have also, in varying degrees, used information from most of the other well-known books and publications on the subject, as well as several pt related web sites and forums.

Steve Sobieralski, Tampa Bay Ship Model Society

Posted by PTConsultingNHR on Wednesday, November 18, 2009 11:02 AM

Sir,

THAT is simply a magnificent job ........ THAT's all I can say, well because, simply, I am totally blown away by it.

I would like to ask if you'd be so kind as to contact me offsite at PTConsultingNHR@aol.com because I would like to discuss something with you in private, thank you.

Once again sir, I am simply amazed at your project and with your skill, talent and your overall result in regard to your project.

Garth Connelly 

Posted by weebles on Saturday, November 21, 2009 7:59 AM

Nicely done Steve!  A lot of scratch building and work is required to get this boat into the 103 class configuration.  Thanks for sharing!

Dave 

Posted by RedCorvette on Saturday, November 21, 2009 8:05 AM

Very impressive.  I think the best PT-109 model that I've ever seen.

Mark

FSM Charter Subscriber

Posted by samreichart on Sunday, November 22, 2009 7:31 AM
Beautiful job on the model Steve.  The torpedo tube detail is amazing.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur :)
Posted by Firecaptain on Sunday, November 22, 2009 7:54 AM
OUTSTANDING work!
Joe
Posted by steves on Monday, November 23, 2009 8:49 AM

Thanks to everyone for the kind comments.

Dave, I should acknowledge that it was your posts that led me to some of the PT 109 photos and your post on converting the Revell kit lays out pretty much everything anyone needs to know to build a more accurate 109.  I am looking forward to seeing your 1/72 build.

Posted by weebles on Tuesday, November 24, 2009 8:56 PM

Thank you Steve.  I'm glad I could be of some help. 

I'm hoping to get the paint done on my boat in the next few months.  I'll be sure to post it as soon as it's finished.

Dave 

Posted by Drew Cook on Friday, November 27, 2009 2:36 PM
Great job, Steve. 

Your model sure makes me wish Italeri would release a 1/35th scale version of a 103-class boat...  
Posted by PTConsultingNHR on Saturday, November 28, 2009 10:38 AM

Unfortunately, I don't think they will Drew, an 'inside' source at MPC told me that sales of the 596 kit were stale.  And, that was over a year ago.

Garth 

Posted by steves on Saturday, November 28, 2009 6:05 PM

The only clue I picked up from they kit that they might have been planning to do earlier versions is that the four deadlight holes aft of the engine room hatch are molded into the deck, even though on the 596  they are completely hidden by the base of the 40 mm gun.  On the other hand, the rest of the kit does not appear to be engineered to accomodate earlier versions.  The day cabin, for instance, has a lot of molded-on detail that is not appropriate for the early boats.  If they were planning to do a 103 you would think they would have molded the cabin parts clean, so that either version could utilize the same parts.  The bottom line is that to do a proper 103 class boat Italeri would have to provide new parts for almost everything above the deck surface, and that would be almost a whole new kit.

Garth, do you happen to know how well the Italeri 1/35 S-Boot sold?

Posted by PTConsultingNHR on Monday, November 30, 2009 9:22 AM

Sorry Steve, I don't ...

Apparently, it's doing well I guess - as evidenced by all of the builds I've been seeing on the 'net.

Garth

Posted by tankerbuilder on Monday, November 30, 2009 1:20 PM
 Hi-steves! I really ,really think that is one fine shew, to quote ED SULLIVAN.That,s a great build!! I have not done anything larger on these than LINDBERGS middle size kit.I won,t build the bigger one till I have more time(the BOW/STEM area is WRONG). I especially like the torpedo tubes and the changes topside that DEFINITELY bring it closer to the "actual" 109.Again, great job.    tankerbuilder
Posted by Big Jake on Wednesday, December 2, 2009 11:22 AM

She looks clean and sweet, Great JOB. 

About 3 years back we did a complete scratch build on a 5' PT-109 for a retiring navy guy. But he did not want como or standard paint, we did it non-war paint style Top deck is Mahogany.  She's running 2-40,000K Astro Flight motor and move about 20 mph in the water weights about 65#.

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/550954925tCjrKx?start=0

Enjoy

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.