SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

Tamiya 1/35 M1A1 Abrams Updated with fix, page 2

34 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
Tamiya 1/35 M1A1 Abrams Updated with fix, page 2
Posted by New Hampshire on Sunday, February 7, 2010 7:23 PM

I started this kit a good 4 months ago, but that was with shelving it for a month and a half.  I had kind of gotten into a funk and moved on.  But last month I decided to pick it back up again and roll.  I have tried to work ONLY one kit at a time (or at the very most I will work one armor and one aircraft while the other is drying, etc.)  Anywho, long story short this is what I have been working on for the last few weeks:

Details:

I used the Eduard full photo etch kit for this.  Obviously did not use everything, but there is quite a bit of tiny metal on there.  That is partly why it took so long.  Paint is a base of Tamiya Desert Yellow for shading with Buff for the highlighting.  I spent a good 3 hours one day looking at Abrams pictures, and I have to say that while there were a bunch of beat up Abrams, the vast majority seemed to be surprisingly clean...and we are talking about field operating vehicles here!  Thats why I once again chose to go simple dusty type weathering.  Now, I have had problems lately with Mig Pigments on the desert colored vehicles.  Basically they all seem to vanish amongst the sand colored vehicles.  So to make it stand out this time I decided to mix Buff and Dark Earth until I got a color I liked and then airbrushed on the dusting except for the tracks where I was able to used Dry Mug pigments.  I used Tamiya's smoke for the bulge on the gun because I saw a bunch of photos where this was prominent.  Also for the vents on the back I saw some 50/50 with darkened smoky coloring and clean.  I took a little artistic liberty and chose a more heavily smoked vent simply to add contrast.  So I don't know how close to reality it truly is.  But to me it looks good.  Stowage is from Italeri's modern US equipment except for the ALICE packs which were given to me by ModelManiac96*.  They were painted Tamiya Olive Drab, shadows black artist oils, highlights MM Russian Armor Green.  That is about all I can think of for right now.

Anyways, I am thinking of calling this one done, but before I make that bold statement I am looking for comments and critique that might need working on.  Anyone spot something that could use working on?  Looks good?  Looks bad?  Let me have it fellas!

Brian

*He actually only had 3 to give me, and I was going to use these as a base to make a mold and try my hand at resin casting.  Long story short I don't know what I was doing wrong.  Mold came out fine, but I had serious problems pouring.  Tons of bubbles no matter what I did, and it took me literally 6 attempts to get ONE extra pack decent enough I could use gap filling super glue to fill bubbles on and give me a servicable pack.  And sadly this was the best of the pieces I modeled and tried to cast....I won't even begin to describe the troubles the K89 Mausers gave me.

Posted by HSteve on Sunday, February 7, 2010 8:11 PM

Looks great, man...

Maybe fade the paint a bit, but you're right - Desert conditions leave stuff dusty but clean...

" I'm the navigator. I have a right to know where I'm going. "

- Don Eiseli,  Astronaut, Apollo 7

Posted by HeavyArty on Sunday, February 7, 2010 8:28 PM

Looks pretty good.  Good job on the finish and weathering.  A few pointers though.  The circular race for the loader's MG should be steel.  It is actually bare metal.  The antennas should be dark green as well, and only 2 3/4 inches long in 1/35 scale.  The wheel center hubs should be painted a black with a sand colored nut in the center.  They are actually clear and filled with oil.  They are clear so the crew can quickly check to ensure there is plenty of oil to lubricate the hub.  Here is how they look.

Lastly, you need to paint the periscopes around the commander's cupola.  The actual ones have r iridescent anti-laser coating.  To represent this, I find it best to first paint them black.  Next, put on a couple coats of clear red, then a couple coats of clear gloss.  This gives  a good, thick finish that changes color when looked at from different angles, just like the real thing.

Good job.  A couple tweaks and it can be great.

Gino P. Quintiliani - Field Artillery - The KING of BATTLE!!!

Check out my Gallery: https://app.photobucket.com/u/HeavyArty

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

Posted by New Hampshire on Sunday, February 7, 2010 8:48 PM

Thanks for the replies fellas.

HeavyArty, thank you very much for the tips.  I had to go with the "looks about right" length for the antennas, but now I know better I will fix those.  I wish the darn instructions would have listed such a simple detail.  I will also try your method for the windows around the commanders cupola, paint the machine gun race and wheel hubs.  I can't believe I actually missed something so simple as the windows around the cupola.......

Brian

Posted by Nachtflieger on Monday, February 8, 2010 3:51 AM

Brian,

I'm glad you decided to continue working on this one! Very nice work.

Nate

Posted by Phil_H on Monday, February 8, 2010 4:40 AM

Hi Brian,

Nice Abrams, I like the subtle weathering effects. Yes

Apart from Gino's observations and suggestions, I believe you have the ammo box/mount on the wrong side of the 0.50 Cal. It should be an easy fix though.

Posted by Boomerang on Monday, February 8, 2010 5:13 AM

Nice Abrams you have there. The details the other chaps have picked out would really make it!  But i still think it is really great so far. Yes

What is the box on the right hand rear? Is it the APU?   If it is...i have never seen one mounted here before. I have only ever seen APU's at the rear of the turret. Interesting.

Great job..

Boomer...

Posted by Phil_H on Monday, February 8, 2010 5:24 AM

Boomerang

What is the box on the right hand rear? Is it the APU?   If it is...i have never seen one mounted here before. I have only ever seen APU's at the rear of the turret. Interesting.  

Hey Boomer,

It is indeed the "early" APU, which was used up till the early 90's (?) and mounted as you see, on the rear right of the hull. This was superseded by the bustle rack APU.

Posted by HeavyArty on Monday, February 8, 2010 5:52 AM

AI believe you have the ammo box/mount on the wrong side of the 0.50 Cal.

Yup, good eye.  Simply swap it to the left side of the gun and you will be good.

Gino P. Quintiliani - Field Artillery - The KING of BATTLE!!!

Check out my Gallery: https://app.photobucket.com/u/HeavyArty

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

Posted by New Hampshire on Monday, February 8, 2010 6:53 AM

Hey fellas,

Man, I don't know how I screwed up the ammo feed rack.  I am a gun guy and should have KNOWN better. Embarrassed .  I popped that off and fixed it to the other side.  I cut down the antennas (my "Looks about right" method worked pretty good, the antenna were 3" as measured but I still cut off the extra 1/4") and painted them Olive Drab.  The hubs were hit with MM Burnt Umber.  And the windows got painted black and clear red as suggested.  All I have to do now is break out the artist oils and blend everything down again in the areas I worked on.  Will repost new pics when I can.

Brian

Posted by usmc1371 on Monday, February 8, 2010 7:12 AM

Just out of curiosity, I know the .50 can be feed from either side.  Does the mount on the Abrams not allow this function?

-Jesse

Posted by Phil_H on Monday, February 8, 2010 7:36 AM

usmc1371

Just out of curiosity, I know the .50 can be feed from either side.  Does the mount on the Abrams not allow this function?

-Jesse

Not sure Jesse, I'll make a couple of assumptions here and say that on the M1A1 at least, the 0,50 is/can be fired by remote from within the turret when buttoned up and the optical sight is on the right side of the mount. If the ammo box was on the right, the field of view of the sight would be obscured. This is not the case on the M1A2, where the 0.50 is fired manually. (Different cupola design)

Posted by usmc1371 on Monday, February 8, 2010 10:11 AM

From doing some research, the modern M2 is still capable of being fed from either side.  It just requires some reconfiguration of the internal components which can be done in less than a minute with no tools. 

I image then the the mount for the .50 cal on the Abrams limits the ability for it to be fed from either side.

-Jesse   

Posted by I make stuff on Monday, February 8, 2010 10:16 AM

This looks great, Brian, worn but not abused.  Man, there sure is a lot of colective knowledge here, isn't there.

Nice pictures, too.

Bill 

Posted by New Hampshire on Monday, February 8, 2010 10:33 AM

Bill, thank you for your kind words.  You are right, this forum is a wonderful place, helpful and knowledgable, and friendly to boot!

Ok, so here we go.  The latest update with all the fixes done:

Better?

Brian

Posted by usmc1371 on Monday, February 8, 2010 11:21 AM

Looks good, Brian.  I like the weathering especially since I'm not a "mud and rust" kind of modeler.  Keep up the good work.

Posted by New Hampshire on Monday, February 8, 2010 12:29 PM

agentg

I love the overall finish. What you did with the basecoat is just stunning.

Good Job Brian!

Thanks G!  I have come to find the best modelling tool purchase I have made to date was to upgrade to a Badger Renegade Velocity airbrush.  My other Badger has served me well, but the kind of detailing I can get with the Renegade has opened up great possibilities for me.  I spent a good 3 hours working on the basecoat between spraying the Desert Yellow base to finishing the last of the Buff highlighting.  It was a long paint session, but I am very pleased with the results.

USMC1371, thank you for your comments.  I too like a nice "lived in" but not abused look.  I think there are plenty of skilled modellers here who turn out some gorgeous mud, rust, and in "dead and burned" looks.  But for me I like building dirty but not thrashed.

Brian

Posted by redleg12 on Monday, February 8, 2010 3:49 PM

Nice work...Weathering is light but there....that is a matter of choice. I try not to heavy weather but some people are dirt nuts!!.

Rounds Complete!!

"The Moral High Ground....A Great Place to Emplace Artillery."

Posted by Boomerang on Tuesday, February 9, 2010 12:01 AM

Those minor detail changes look good. Now i want to start my Aussie Abrams kits. One is planned for the one colour sand camo and the other is for the new three colour camo. The new one is cool. Bah.....so many projects to do...

Very nice photos too by the way. Toast

Boomer...

Posted by wbill76 on Tuesday, February 9, 2010 1:58 PM

Nice work on t this one Brian, the subtle weathering is just the right touch for this one IMHO. Yes

Posted by New Hampshire on Tuesday, February 9, 2010 5:15 PM

Redleg and Bill, thanks my friends, I appreciate the kind words!

Boomerang, I have been considering doing some kind of Aussie armor.  So far I have built American, Russian, German and now have started on British armor, but for a while now I have had a hankerin to do something in Australian markings.  Been toying around with some options.

Brian

Posted by Boomerang on Wednesday, February 10, 2010 12:00 AM

And what are the options you have been toying around with? Confused Big Smile

Boomer...

Posted by New Hampshire on Wednesday, February 10, 2010 7:28 PM

Hey Boomerang,

I have tossed around the possibility of:

Vickers Light Tank

Matilda

or even a captured Fiat M13/40 (just imagine that thing with the kangaroo's painted all over it!!!)

Problem is I have not really delved into decal sources for these kits.  So I don't know what I could realistically do with the above ideas.

Brian

Posted by Boomerang on Thursday, February 11, 2010 1:40 AM

New Hampshire....  Heavyarty pointed out the colour of the TC's cupola vision block lenses. Just out of interest, looking at your new pics the drivers lenses are coloured too. One pic of your model shows clear lenses over a sand colour. Only trivial again. But colouring these would break up the sand colour and look great. The middle block is blue and the two outer ones are red.

Also, you said you wanted some contest at the rear where the engine grills are. Your exhaust stains are spot on!! Yes They look exactly like the Abrams at where i work. If you want to contrast it more, the Aussie Abrams have two of the three grills black (not sure if all Abrams are like this). The paint burns off these real fast (the heat from the rear of an Abrams is tremendous. You don't want to get to close and the smell is quite sickening. If ours go out on a publc road i do believe they attach a warning sign for the public to stay back at least 30 metres. No tailgating these baby's!! Stick out tongue

Here are some pics to show you the coloured vision blocks and the black grills.......

Don't get me wrong......your tank is great. I have saved all the pics. Hope you don't mind..Wink. Your paint job is really fantastic. Wish i could paint like that!! You've got talent man!!Toast

Oh, by the way, you said you are baulking at doing a world war two Aussie tank because of the markings.? I remembered Italeri do the captured Italian tank you mentioned. They do the 1/35 Carro Armato M13/40 with the markings for the catured Aussie tank. Has biiig Kangaroos on it!! It doesn't show it on the box art but the decal sheet has the markings you want.  I looked it up for you. It's kit number 6213. It's a limited edition kit. I have been thinking of getting one too.

Anyway, hope all this stuff is of interest to you...

Posted by Phil_H on Thursday, February 11, 2010 4:42 AM

Boomerang
Also, you said you wanted some contest at the rear where the engine grills are. Your exhaust stains are spot on!! Yes They look exactly like the Abrams at where i work. If you want to contrast it more, the Aussie Abrams have two of the three grills black (not sure if all Abrams are like this). The paint burns off these real fast (the heat from the rear of an Abrams is tremendous. You don't want to get to close and the smell is quite sickening. If ours go out on a publc road i do believe they attach a warning sign for the public to stay back at least 30 metres. No tailgating these baby's!! Stick out tongue

http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/tt299/PHANTOMSTANG_O1/IMGP1206.jpg

Hey Boomer,

There are three segments to the rear grille. In the pic above, you can see the engine exhaust in the centre, surrounded by the mounting flange for the DWFK (Deep Water Fording Kit). Left and right of the engine exhaust are the transmission cooling air outlets. These outlets don't get as hot as the exhaust and don't get "burnt" like the main exhaust.  I'm surprised that our tanks don't mount the exhaust deflectors when they get driven on public roads..

Posted by Boomerang on Thursday, February 11, 2010 5:19 AM

Phil.... your right mate. The grills either side of the actual turbine exhaust don't get near as hot. I work for BAE at Puckapunyal and have been watching with keen interest the painting of the new camo colours. It only takes a couple of manouvers from the paint shop and the paint has burnt off.  I have never seen any of the SOA Abrams with exhaust deflectors at Pucka.  Mind you i don't think they would get to far out on the road. Not very reliable i'm afraid. Sad. Most of the ones at SOA are down and out at the moment. If they are taken anywhere it is always on the MAN Tank Transporters.

Needless to say they are an awesome looking tank and i love the sound of the gas turbine engine.  The new colours make them look a lot smaller.....but maybe they just shrunk in the paint booth...Stick out tongue

The M88's look great in the new camo as wellCool

Boomer...

Posted by Phil_H on Thursday, February 11, 2010 5:29 AM

I'll be interested to see what they look like in Aussie 3-tone.

I'm guessing we'll have to wait till the official "public release" photos though. Sad

Posted by Boomerang on Thursday, February 11, 2010 5:50 AM

Mouse House Enterprises is showing illustrations of the new cam on their website. I saw it tonight. It gives you an idea. But unfortuneately they have it wrong. Not sure where they got the camo plans from. It's close but it's wrong...[8-) At Pucka 7 tanks were painted and then the scheme was changed.

http://www.mheaust.com.au/Aust/Research/Abrams.htm

Boomer...

Posted by New Hampshire on Thursday, February 11, 2010 5:35 PM

Hey Boomerang,

Choosing a route for weathering was tough.  I spent 3 hours looking at picture after picture and was surprised how clean these things remained.  I found rear grills that were all black, some with just the middle grille in a burnt umber color, and a majority all still sand colored.  In the end I decided to just go with some Tamiya Clear Smoke and went that route.

And thanks for the info on the Italeri kit.  You are my hero!!!!  The Carro really is my first choice simply because the novelty of those massive kangaroo decals would be, IMHO simply AWESOME.  Seriously, just think about being an ANZAC out there, plucking away with your rifle, when all of a sudden this little tank comes speeding by covered in white 'roos.......Yup, I am sold on the Italeri kit! Big Smile

Brian

Posted by New Hampshire on Thursday, February 11, 2010 8:25 PM

I just found out the Tamiya kit also comes with the kangaroo decals!  I am more inclined to go with the Tamiya simply for the extra upgrades (metal barrel, photo etch) but also the link and length tracks.  Plus, what experience I have with Italeri kits, I would pay the extra cash just to not have to deal with all those ejector pin marks that the Tamiya kit would not have. Big Smile

Brian

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.