SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

Thinner for Floquil besides DIO-SOL

5 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
Thinner for Floquil besides DIO-SOL
Posted by Ti4019 on Tuesday, June 22, 2010 10:19 AM

anyone use floquil anymore, and use anything besides DIOSOL?
if I go the LHS route, its a speicla order. If I mail order, Im ordering and waiting.

I havent tried Lacquer thinner yet because I dont want to waste the precious bottle of paint I have (it was given to me by someone who ordered it, and wiated).

Other products that I can pick up locally so I can paint tonight?

thanks!

If you aren't having fun, you're doing it wrong! Build to please yourself and they will flame you every time!

Posted by ACESES5 on Tuesday, June 22, 2010 11:06 AM

Ti4019: Ok thats all I ever used in place of DIO SOL  Ace Hardware brand works good if you can't get Ace brand Sunnyside brand works real good also. Just be sure it's a good grade of lacquir thinner.  Aceses5Welcome Sign

Posted by rjkplasticmod on Tuesday, June 22, 2010 11:22 AM

The Floquil paint formula was changed when Testors bought them out.  It used to be a pretty hot lacquer & Diosol was the thinner of choice.  Currently, Floquil is a pretty hot enamel & any hardware lacquer thinner will work well.  I use a lot of Floquil with lacquer thinner from Ace Hardware & have never had a problem. 

Regards,  Rick

RICK At My Age, I've Seen It All, Done It All, But I Don't Remember It All...
Posted by Ti4019 on Tuesday, June 22, 2010 12:11 PM

Rick

thanks for the quick answer, and the bit about the formula change. No Barrier Cote? Yay!

Im painting tonight! :D

If you aren't having fun, you're doing it wrong! Build to please yourself and they will flame you every time!

Posted by Ti4019 on Monday, July 5, 2010 11:14 AM

ok finally got a chance to shoot it on this morning. PT worked fine and I cleaned out with LT and a complete dissassemble. Im happy with the coverage and abitlity to hide underlying colors. 

Posted by checkmateking02 on Saturday, July 10, 2010 7:19 PM

Micro-Mark has a product they say is the equivalent of the old Dio-Sol.

http://www.micromark.com/SearchResult.aspx?deptIdFilter=0&searchPhrase=dio+sol

I've never tried it, although I always used Dio-Sol for airbrushing all kinds of paint, including ModelMaster.  Unfortunately, I'm afraid you'd end up waiting on the mail again.

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.