SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

1/200 Trumpeter Arizona Looks Good + Pics!

12 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
1/200 Trumpeter Arizona Looks Good + Pics!
Posted by tucchase on Friday, August 6, 2010 1:53 AM

Went up to Phoenix today and saw the Test Shot for this ship.  Overall, it looks real good, but it does still need some work.  I did take pictures and if they came out, I will post them when I learn how!  First, the good news. 

The Engineering Hatches in front of Turret #3 are molded wood in the deck.  They look a little simplified, but they are NOT raised steel plate hatches.  The odd thing is though, they include two plate hatches of the same shape on one of the plastic frets.  Maybe to appease those who refuse to believe the pictures in Stillwell's book, I don't know.  The man on duty for Stevens didn't know either.

The Potato Bin looks correct to me.  It is not a casting going all the way to the Quarterdeck with the side wings.  The side wings are both raised above the Quarterdeck, level with the Boat deck.  The center section does go down to the Quarterdeck as its supposed to.  The vents in the surfaces appear to be raised louvres, but no holes.

The deck is cast with rows of holes in it for, I presume, the canopy poles, for when canopies were rigged.

The personnel hatches in the decks are cast with their coamings, but the stairs leading down are the old fashioned Aztec type.  Maybe railings will be included with the PE?  Don't know.

There are no turrets for the 5"/51 guns.

The Lower Hull and Upper Hull split appears to be closer to the waterline than the Banner model.

Overall detail seems good.  All the portholes are actual holes, not dimples with a ring around them.  Some of the portholes have the rings, others don't.

Now for the bad news:

The Lower Hull shrank on this Test Shot.  It is about 1/8" shorter than the Upper Hull in length.  The man in the booth did not know when they might have this corrected.  It was cast as one piece in medium dark red plastic.  A bit darker than Insignia Red. 

The Torpedo Blisters, while they seem to go far enough fore and aft, have no clear demarcation at either end.  Smoothly blended into the original hull.  They also do not have the Reinforcement Bands on them.  Totally smooth.  They do extend around to the bottom of the ship leaving a raised outer edge about a 1/4" wide by, maybe, a 1/16" thick.

The Side Keels are not at the bottom of each side.  They are about a 1/4" up the side, in the middle, and a little more at each end.  So the "Smile" is back.

There are no bottom keels, at all.

No PE was included with the Test Shot.  And no other brass parts.

Whatever else may be wrong with this model, I don't know.  I'm just a layman, not an expert.  But they did fix the Engineering Hatches, and most of you may recall that has been MY particular pet peeve about the different Arizona models.  When I can get the pictures on here then, hopefully, you will be able to see for yourselves and tell each other what else may be missing or wrong.  Oh, of the four main turrets, they only had one on display.  And no brass parts, so no main barrels, either.

Ernie Gee, of G Factor Models, was set up right next to the Arizona display.  He told me he is planning to make some investment castings for this model.  Probably starting with the propellers, and then maybe some of the secondary guns, and/or machine guns.  He had a lot of landing gear on display, ship propellers, and what looked like a detailed twin 40mm with gun tub.  All of the landing gear was very detailed and cast in, I think he said, White Bronze.  The props were brass.

For those interested in other new releases, next to the Arizona was a board with a Test Shot of a 1/700 AO USS Sacramento.

Posted by tucchase on Friday, August 6, 2010 4:06 PM

I have to apologize.  I thought all the portholes were actual holes, but only the portholes on the Upper Decks are holes.  The portholes on the Upper Hull are just rings on the surface.  Anyway, here are some pics!

More to follow!

Posted by tucchase on Friday, August 6, 2010 4:12 PM

Here are some more pics.  I do not believe they had all the plastic frets shown.  Just a general sampling.

More to come!

Posted by SuppressionFire on Friday, August 6, 2010 4:16 PM

1/200? That is HUGE! Just a guess but it must be over 3 feet long (900mm for you metric dudes)

I like the option of full hull or waterline. Dan Jayne has a Arizona before & after Pearl Harbor in the newest issue of FSM.

Dam the box alone is big enough to use as a coffin once the Mrs. sees the price!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y211/razordws/GB%20Badges/WMIIIGBsmall.jpg

Posted by tucchase on Friday, August 6, 2010 4:21 PM

Here are the rest of my pics.

That is all!  Enjoy!  I have already ordered mine.  According to someone on Ship Model Forum, WEM is going to make a PE set for this ship.  They say the PE included will just not do for a kit this size.  I would think Tom's and GMM will have their versions also.

Posted by tucchase on Friday, August 6, 2010 4:38 PM

Here is what WEM has posted on their website:

With the Trumpeter 1/200 USS Arizona kit looming on the horizon, we are looking seriously at a WEM photoetch set to augment the PE included in the kit. Let's face it, 76 PE parts for a 1/200 scale ship just won't do the job--at least not to WEM standards. We think there's enough interest to warrant the effort, but we're asking that you pre-order (no charge made, of course) to firm things up. Dave will have PE 2002 up on the Catalogue side of the website in the next day or so, and in the meantime you can simply e-mail your order.

Posted by SuppressionFire on Saturday, August 7, 2010 8:30 AM

General thinner could help out the cranes, gun shields & other intricate details. I would dare to say all this ship needs is a PE handrail set to really stand out.

*I am far from a ship guy yet the plastic test shots show enough well molded detail to keep most content.

Wood decks could be scratch build to keep 'sticker shock' reasonable.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y211/razordws/GB%20Badges/WMIIIGBsmall.jpg

Posted by Leftie on Monday, August 9, 2010 3:56 PM

Just order my Arizona. How bad can it be?  I bought the FSM Mag with the Arizona article. I thought I read that the Arizona's guns weren't independent, This guy had the front guns at different angles. Right or Wrong?

Posted by EdGrune on Monday, August 9, 2010 6:23 PM

Leftie

Just order my Arizona. How bad can it be?  I bought the FSM Mag with the Arizona article. I thought I read that the Arizona's guns weren't independent, This guy had the front guns at different angles. Right or Wrong?

The guns were not capable of being independently elevated.

Posted by TD4438 on Tuesday, August 10, 2010 2:51 AM

EdGrune

Leftie:

The guns were not capable of being independently elevated.

Wow.Not something I ever considered.Why was this so?

Posted by EdGrune on Tuesday, August 10, 2010 8:07 AM

TD4438

Wow.Not something I ever considered.Why was this so?

The gun design from the early 19-teens (remember thats how old the Pennsylvanias were) had the guns sleeved together with only one elevating mechanism.  

There are other problems with Jayne's Arizona model.     Check the wallpapers elsewhere on the FSM site, especially the largest one (about 2500x1500).  It really shows all the warts

http://www.finescale.com/en/How%20To/Articles/2010/08/DESKTOP%20WALLPAPER%20Dan%20Jayne%20USS%20Arizona.aspx

There are also other problems with the article, such as Measure 14 on the 'fateful day'.   Measure 14 wasn't promulgated until the summer of 1942.   Measure 14 was overall Ocean Gray with painted/stained decks.  The model looks to be in prewar Standard Navy Gray #5 with bright wood decks - appropriate for the period up to spring of 1941.   

Was the text Jayne's or the editors at FSM?

Posted by tucchase on Tuesday, August 10, 2010 2:48 PM

Jayne's model looks like a fairly clean build, and the wood decking looks pretty good.  But EdGrune is right, as usual.  What research Jayne did was apparently just enough to confuse him.  This looks like a combination of several versions from 1936 up to December 7, 1941.  But I am fairly sure he enjoyed building it and that is why we build in the first place, right?

Posted by bondoman on Wednesday, August 11, 2010 3:15 AM

Yes Ed that stank of prevocation- "just as she looked..". It really rankled me, not just because it was incorrect, but also that FSM ...oh never mind.I think that article is really poor.The floatplanes are painted incorrectly too, etc.

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.