SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

Air Racer GB Round 2

247 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
Air Racer GB Round 2
Posted by Scorpiomikey on Thursday, September 16, 2010 1:40 AM

Ok so this is the sequel to Vetteman's Air Racer Group Build 

Start date will be this sunday 19th September 2010.

End Date will be 14th September 2011, the start of the Reno Air Races next year (can someone confirm this?)

Ill do things a little differently to Vetteman. With this one im using the categories of the Reno races.

Biplanes: small, aerobatic aircraft like the Pitts Special, the Mong, and the Smith Miniplane, racing on a 3.11-mile course at speeds reaching 250 mph

Example Picture.

Formula One: built according to strict technical specifications. The fastest Formula One aircraft reach almost 250 mph on the 3.11-mile race course at Reno.

Example Piture

Sport: high-performance, commercially-available kit-built aircraft, reaching speeds of over 400 mph on the 6.39-mile course at Reno.

Example Pic

AT-6: "stock" T-6 Texan, Harvard, or SNJ aircraft. The fastest T-6 aircraft generally post race speeds in the 210-220 mph range on the 4.99-mile course at Reno.

Example Picture

Jet: racing between jets with non-afterburning engines, racing on a 8.355-mile course, reaching speeds over 500 mph.

Example Pic

Unlimited: open to any piston-driven aircraft with an empty weight greater than 4500 pounds, generally including stock or modified WWII fighters like the North American P-51 Mustang, Grumman F-8F Bearcat, and Hawker Sea Fury. Speeds in the Unlimited Gold Race on Sunday reach 500 mph on the 8.355-mile course.

Example Pic

Follow the links for details.

Ill also include an "Extreme" and "Golden Age" Category if you want to enter with something that doesn't fit the above categories.  So, on to the major rules.

First and foremost, have fun. Thats the aim of these GB's.

Anything Race plane Related. Pick a category and go hard.

Also, Build status must be 50% or less to enter. 

Biplanes.

Pretty much any biplane.

Formula One.

Race aircraft must have 66 square scale feet of wing area. (just going by the reno rules. Heres an article on how to work it out http://www.ehow.com/how_5087643_wing-area-model-airplane.html)

Must have Fixed landing gear and fixed pitch propeller.

Sport.

So for this one im gonna allow any homebuilt style aircraft.

AT-6.

AT-6's, SNJ's, Harvards. Whatever you wanna call them.

Jet.

Any non-afterburning jet with less than 15° of wing sweep.

Unlimited.

The Unlimited Class is open to any piston-driven aircraft with an empty weight greater than 4500  pounds(The real aircraft, not the modelTongue Tied).

Golden Age.

Golden age racers. GeeBee racers, travelair racer. Pretty much anything from the 1930's-ish. If you feel like its a golden age racer. just enter it under here. 

Extreme.

Anything not listed above.

Just remember people. anything goes as long as its got race numbers.

I hope i can do as good a job hosting this one as Vetteman did. If you have any suggestions or criticism,  Feel free to voice it.

Crossovers are more than welcome.

As for a badge. My photo shopping skills are useless, so if anyone wants to donate a GB Badge that would be much appreciated. For the person that does donate a badge you'll get a mention both here on the main page and it will be noted under your Entry that its your badge were using.

Righto, thanks heaps to Richard (kermit) for provided our awesome badges.

Sqeee!. So yeah. Download it when youve completed your first build and do with it as you please.

Enjoy.

Disclaimer: All images are property of their respective owners. All information about the classes taken directly from http://www.airrace.org 

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how i soar"

Recite the litanies, fire up the Gellar field, a poo storm is coming Hmm 

My signature

Check out my blog here.

Posted by Scorpiomikey on Thursday, September 16, 2010 1:43 AM

So this post is for the entrants. Ill list the categories and your names will go under your category of choice.

Biplanes.

jmabx.

Glencoe Albatros "Foster Special" 1:48

Formula One.

Sport.

AT-6.

Jet.

Unlimited.

kg4kpg.

Monogram P-39 modified 1:48

Kermit.

Promodeler P-39 Modified 1:48

lewbud.

High Planes RB-51 1:72

Tamiya P-51D Jay Dee 1:48 

nomad68.

Monogram P-51D 1:48 "Miss America"

Scorpiomikey.

Hobbycraft F8F-1B Bearcat 1:48

Vetteman32.

Testors F8F-2 Bearcat 1:48  "Good Ole Boys Racing Enterprises"

Completed Pics Of "Fat Cat" on Page 13

Golden Age.

daddy1.

Williams Brothers Wedell-Williams Gilmore Special 1:32

Williams Brothers Hall's Bulldog 1:32

Vetteman32.

Pegoso Midget Mustang 1:48

bondoman.

Testors Classics (Hawk) Curtis Racer R3X-2 Cuddihy's airplane 1:48

Testors Classics (Hawk) Travel Air Mystery Ship 1:48

Oron Macchi M.C.72 1:24 (Card model)

Stage_Left

Testors/Hawk 1/48 Gee Bee R-1

Scorpiomikey

Airfix 1/72 DH88 Comet

Echolmberg.

Posting this one for inspiration.

Extreme.

My signature

Check out my blog here.

Posted by jmabx on Thursday, September 16, 2010 7:52 PM

I'm a definite on this one Mikey! Yes  I may need a little time to get started though. I'll get back to you this weekend with what I would like to build. I managed to build two kits for the last one and would like to do so again with round 2. Smile

Jeremy    Propeller

Posted by Scorpiomikey on Thursday, September 16, 2010 9:04 PM

Sweet. Ill leave it up to you to pick a category (the categories are a good idea right?) and ill pop your name down then. 

My signature

Check out my blog here.

Posted by vetteman42 on Thursday, September 16, 2010 9:15 PM

Mikey I will jump in on this one too I will be building a1/48 Revell P-51D not sure which racer it will be yet. I do have a question though will you be allowing golden age racers ? I have a 1/48 Testors Gee Bee R1 that I didnt get to build for round 1 or are you holding it to Reno racers.

Randy So many to build.......So little time

Posted by Scorpiomikey on Thursday, September 16, 2010 9:25 PM

vetteman42

Mikey I will jump in on this one too I will be building a1/48 Revell P-51D not sure which racer it will be yet. I do have a question though will you be allowing golden age racers ? I have a 1/48 Testors Gee Bee R1 that I didnt get to build for round 1 or are you holding it to Reno racers.

Everythings welcome. I just thought id use the Reno format to add a little edge to it. I think im butchering this already lol. Hmm, i might change it to Biplane/Vintage category. Open to biplanes or anything built before 1939.

My signature

Check out my blog here.

Posted by jmabx on Friday, September 17, 2010 9:17 PM

Hey Mikey, not butchered at all. I like the Reno format and somewhere to add the Golden Age racers would be cool as I have a few also. Can we do what if aircraft? If so, I would like to enter into the biplane category with something cobbled together from the spares box. We'll call it the "Foster Special" for now. I may add another build later. Yes

Jeremy    Propeller

Posted by Scorpiomikey on Friday, September 17, 2010 10:49 PM

Yup, what ifs are welcome. As long as it ends up with race numbers on it its more than welcome in here.

My signature

Check out my blog here.

Posted by daddy1 on Saturday, September 18, 2010 1:16 PM

I'm in with these two Williams Bro.s Kits. for the Golden Age category. 

1/32 Wedell-Williams Gilmore Special

1/32 Hall's Bulldog

May be a little bit till I get started on them. I need to finish up Tantrum as well as a couple other projects, but can't think of a better place to share these two beauties.

Howard

http://whlswngsthngs.shutterfly.com/

Posted by Scorpiomikey on Saturday, September 18, 2010 4:35 PM

Sweet, ill pop you on the list. These 2 are gonna rock. i like golden age racers

My signature

Check out my blog here.

Posted by kermit on Saturday, September 18, 2010 4:44 PM

Would a promodeller P39Q with custom paint/ decal job apply in one of the categories? If yes, then im in!Big Smile. It's still bugging me that my build had to be binned last year...

Richard

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill

Posted by Scorpiomikey on Saturday, September 18, 2010 6:20 PM

Yup, that would count as an unlimited entry. I believe they were heavier than a mustang so yeah, go hard. what scale?

My signature

Check out my blog here.

Posted by kg4kpg on Saturday, September 18, 2010 8:04 PM

Count me in as well.  I'll build a Monogram 1/48 P-39 using some race markings and a resin oil cooler I have plus I'll have toi fab a 4 blade prop.  I'm sure I can complete it in a year.

Chris

Posted by Scorpiomikey on Saturday, September 18, 2010 9:23 PM

sweet, another one in. I can see this one taking a while to get started. i should got this thread up and running sooner. Oh well. Its not a race...erm, yeah lol. Still thinking on a badge.

My signature

Check out my blog here.

Posted by kermit on Saturday, September 18, 2010 10:58 PM

Scorpionmikey,

The promodeller P39 is 1/48 scaleSmile. Haven't thought up a scheme yet but i am sure me and the miss(us) can come up with something dashing lol. She once said to me that some warplanes look a bit boring sometimes with all OD color and stuff. She'll like this oneBig SmileYes

Richard

P.s. I promise to let you work on a badge first before i finish LOL

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill

Posted by Scorpiomikey on Saturday, September 18, 2010 11:53 PM

Lol, that would be much appreciated Richard. Although if you feel like having a play and making a badge for us thatd be awesome. I loved the one you made for the alley cat GB

My signature

Check out my blog here.

Posted by kermit on Sunday, September 19, 2010 12:18 AM

HmmmmHmm I could look into it....

Gimme a few days and ill get back to you on thatSmile

Richard

Posted by kermit on Sunday, September 19, 2010 12:48 AM

Errr make that a few mins lol. Something along these lines maybe??:

Richard

Posted by Scorpiomikey on Sunday, September 19, 2010 3:39 PM

Yeah, that looks good. I like it.

My signature

Check out my blog here.

Posted by Scorpiomikey on Sunday, September 19, 2010 5:17 PM

Ok so thanks to kermit, we have a badge. Yay for kermit. Big Smile always hauling my ass out of the fire lol

My signature

Check out my blog here.

Posted by simpilot34 on Sunday, September 19, 2010 6:48 PM

There's no way I can commit to this but have reserved a seat in the cheering section nonetheless. I've already overcommitted myself. Looking forward to seeing these great builds come together!!!!Toast

Cheers, Lt. Cmdr. Richie "To be prepared for war, is one of the most effectual means of preserving the peace."-George Washington
Posted by Scorpiomikey on Sunday, September 19, 2010 7:17 PM

lol, sweet as sim, wouldve liked to see some of your work in here but oh well. Im a bit over commited myself. So this one i may see how i go. i really wanted to take part. but i might settle for GB host untill i can clear my bench a little.

My signature

Check out my blog here.

Posted by vetteman42 on Sunday, September 19, 2010 7:53 PM

Kermit nice work on the badge YesYes

ScorpioMikey can you add me to the list of builders with a 1/48 Testors Gee Bee R1 ? I am also going to try and get in a P-51D, and an Extreme racer if I can, but dont wish to commit to them just yet.

The Unlimited Gold race was canceled today Crying do to 40mph winds gusting to 50mph. So young Steve wins in Strega by default. Looked like it would have been one of the great races too, better to be safe than sorry with winds like they were having though.

Randy So many to build.......So little time

Posted by simpilot34 on Sunday, September 19, 2010 8:19 PM

Bugga!!! But AWESOME as well!!! That makes Steve Jr. a two time back to back Unlimited Champeen!!!ToastBow Down

Cheers, Lt. Cmdr. Richie "To be prepared for war, is one of the most effectual means of preserving the peace."-George Washington
Posted by echolmberg on Sunday, September 19, 2010 8:37 PM

I've never actually taken part in any group build simply because once I start a project, due to work and family obligations, I never know how long it'll be before I finish a kit.  It could be two weeks or it could be eight months.  So I hope I'm not breaking any rules here but I'd like to submit my entry.

I'm working on a bunch of aircraft from WW1 all through the "Golden Age" of flight and that includes air racers.  A friend of a friend is redoing her 9 month old son's room in the Golden Age theme (obviously the lady has excellent taste in decore) and I've built four kits for her so far.

So here is my Curtiss R3C racer.  It's the Testor's 1/48 offering.  I think it was an old Hawk kit but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.  This was an extremely simple little kit but I loved it.  Great fit.  Easy paint scheme.  It was a big plus that my in-laws just got back from a trip to DC and they bought me a book with great pictures of the R3C they have on display at the Air and Space Museum.

Please, comments and critiques are ALWAYS welcome.  Oh, and in case anyone was wondering, I just hand brushed everything using Testors gloss black for the fuselage, gold for the wings and bare metal foil for the prop.  'Nuff said.  Enjoy.

Eric

[View:/themes/fsm/utility/:550:0]

Posted by simpilot34 on Sunday, September 19, 2010 9:07 PM

Eric, that is some AWESOME brush work!!!! Look how smooth that back is!!!! I have only had one success like that in brush painting the wings of my OLD 1/72 Revell Stearman in yellow. AWESOME!!!!Toast

Posted by echolmberg on Sunday, September 19, 2010 9:43 PM

Thank you Simpilot34!

I feel so horrible because I'm one of those guys who posts a lot but (almost) never show any of my work.  I find I have so little time to upload stuff to Photobucket, cut and past image addresses, etc.  So now I thought it was time to put my money where my mouth is.  Really, people, I do build models!  LOL!

Thank you for the kind words.  I haven't been getting a lot of those lately.  But the Testors paint just leveled off so beautifully.  Normally whenever I brush paint, I thin the paint out with maybe 10% thinner.  But this time, I just did it directly from the bottle using a good, soft brush and that was all there was to it.  You know how it is.  Some days you can do no wrong and some days you can't build your way our of a paper bag.  While working on this simple and fun little kit, it was just one good night after the next.  Heck even the stretched sprue rigging behaved!  The pilot figure was a bit soft on the detail side but oh well.  I could never paint them very well anyway.

Eric

Posted by kg4kpg on Sunday, September 19, 2010 10:14 PM

kermit
Scorpionmikey,

The promodeller P39 is 1/48 scaleSmile. Haven't thought up a scheme yet but i am sure me and the miss(us) can come up with something dashing lol. She once said to me that some warplanes look a bit boring sometimes with all OD color and stuff. She'll like this oneBig SmileYes

Richard

P.s. I promise to let you work on a badge first before i finish LOL

Hey Richard,

If you're interested you can have the second set of P-39 race  markings I have.  It is for Jack Woolams red #75 Skylanes Unlimited Racing Team from the 1946 Thompson Trophy Race.  They are from the Accurate Miniatures kit.  I'm going to do the yellow Tex Johnston plane.

Mikey, I'm wondering...this GB is based on the Reno classifications, are Thompson Trophy Race schemes okay?   

Posted by Scorpiomikey on Sunday, September 19, 2010 10:27 PM

kg4kpg

Mikey, I'm wondering...this GB is based on the Reno classifications, are Thompson Trophy Race schemes okay?   

kg4kpg.

its not really based on the reno races. I just decided to use the reno format as a template to start with. Any race planes are welcome. Id say most of the Thompson Trophy planes would go under Golden Age.

Eric.

Shes a beaut mate. I should put something down about how far along in the build you can be to enter. Also the rules state it must have race numbers. Id love to plonk this on the front page. but yeah. If you were to build another and pop some numbers on her (that aircraft flew under 3 and 43 if i remember correctly)  Id be more than happy to put her up.

My signature

Check out my blog here.

Posted by echolmberg on Monday, September 20, 2010 12:04 AM

Thanks Scorpion,

Oddly enough, the Testors kit, for whatever reason, left off the big number "3" on the side of the plane.  I'll have to see if I can muster one up from my spares box.

Eric

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.