SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

Propeller warning stripes

6 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
Propeller warning stripes
Posted by wjbwjb29 on Saturday, September 18, 2010 2:18 PM

Hello;

I am about ready to paint the warning stipes on my propeller for the AM F3F-1. My question is it states in the instructions that it has 4" warning stripes made up of  red yellow and blue, now I assume that is the total width of all three stripes or am I mistaken. Also any tips on painting these strips would be appreciated. This seems to be a project by itself. After this, comes the canopy masking and I am sure I will be asking more questions. All in all the model is coming out great except for loosing the ring sight.

Bill

On the Bench:   Trumperter Tsesarevich on deck Glencoe USS Oregon

Posted by Iain Hamilton on Saturday, September 18, 2010 10:38 PM

Masking Canopy: 1: I found an easy way to do this is to place a single layer of masking tape on the canopy. 2:  You will use a very sharp exacto to cut along the inside edge of the frame work and remove the masking tape from the frame leaving the glass panels masked. 3: This next step is important, your forst color will be the color of the inside of the frame work. This will be what is visible when looking through the canopy. For the F3F, I believe it is zinc cromate but CHECK YOUR REF.! 4: Once the initial color has dried, you can procede with the exterior color.

Word to the wise. Be careful when cutting your mask, it is easy to score the glass panels. Also, It looks best to glue the windscrean in place and clean up the gaps before painting. This helps blend the widscrean into the fusalage but keep in mind that on most aircraft there is a seem where the frame is rivited to the fusalage.

Posted by berny13 on Sunday, September 19, 2010 10:07 AM

Iain Hamilton

This next step is important, your forst color will be the color of the inside of the frame work. This will be what is visible when looking through the canopy.

The problem there is when viewed from the inside the under coat will look gloss and not flat.  That is why I always paint the inside of canopies and wind shield frames with a flat paint.

Berny

Phormer Phantom Phixer

On the bench

TF-102A Delta Dagger, 32nd FIS, 54-1370, 1/48 scale. Monogram Pro Modeler with C&H conversion.  

Revell F-4E Phantom II 33rd TFW, 58th TFS, 69-260, 1/32 scale. 

Tamiya F-4D Phantom II, 13th TFS, 66-8711, 1/32 scale.  F-4 Phantom Group Build. 

Posted by wjbwjb29 on Sunday, September 19, 2010 12:48 PM

Thanks guys for the info but my main question was about the stripes on the propeller.

Thanks Bill

Posted by rjkplasticmod on Sunday, September 19, 2010 1:26 PM

After painting the prop color, aluminum in your case, I first mask the tips for the entire width of the combined colors, 1/4" for this example.  Then spray Yellow.  Cut a thin piece of tape, 1/12", & mask the center of the yellow tips.  Over mask the tape & outer tips & spray Blue.  Remove the over mask tape from the tips being careful not to disturb the center mask & overmask the center tape & the Blue.  Spray Red.  Remove all tape & you should have a nice sharp Red/Yellow/Blue stripe on your prop tips.

Regards,  Rick

RICK At My Age, I've Seen It All, Done It All, But I Don't Remember It All...
Posted by hkshooter on Sunday, September 19, 2010 1:30 PM

Each color is four inches.
I like to spray the end of the blade the first color on the inside, in this case blue. Once dry lay a stip of masking tape across the blue and spray the remainder of the tip yellow. Once the yellow is dry lay another strip of tape and spray the red. Note that the rear of the blade tip is yellow.

To be honest, I prefer to brush paint the tips when multi colors are called for. Here is an example of brush painting the tips.

Posted by wjbwjb29 on Sunday, September 19, 2010 1:58 PM

Thanks again guys for some very good info.

Bill

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.