SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

Field Grey color clarification for German artillery

5 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
Field Grey color clarification for German artillery
Posted by adb2323 on Monday, November 15, 2010 9:16 PM

Hi There, I've been working on a Trumpeter German 15cm sFH 18 field howitzer and painted it Tamiya FX65 Field Grey according to the instructions.  Since this is the first German WWII artillery piece that I have made, I am not sure if this is the correct color to use.  The Field Grey seems to have a very green cast to it which seems odd to me.  Is this historically correct?  Is there another color I should be using?  Any help would be appreciated....

Thanks!

Al

Posted by T26E4 on Monday, November 15, 2010 9:54 PM

It should be Tamiya XF -63 German Grey -- an almost black paint.  Sorry but Trumpeter led you down the wrong path.

Roy Chow 

Join AMPS!

http://www.amps-armor.org

Posted by Anonymous on Monday, November 15, 2010 10:16 PM

...panzer grey...

Posted by wbill76 on Monday, November 15, 2010 11:01 PM

Field gray is one of those misnomers...it is definitely more green than gray. Panzer or "german" gray is definitely the way to go. The Trumpeter instructions must have gotten the codes wrong and/or they just made a general mistake (not the first time) in their recommended colors.

Posted by Phil_H on Monday, November 15, 2010 11:31 PM

The Trumpeter instructions actually quote Gunze Aqueous/Mr Color Field Grey, not Tamiya. Looking at the instruction pics, Gunze's Field Grey is roughly equivalent to Tamiya's Dark Grey, which may be passable for a well faded Panzer Grey.

Posted by adb2323 on Wednesday, November 17, 2010 5:19 AM

Thanks everyone!  I suspected it should be the darker Panzer Grey.  I realize Trumpeter spec'd Gunze Aqueous/Mr Color Field Grey, but after checking this online paint chart (http://www.paint4models.com/paintchart/paintconversionchart20100101a.html#) it gave the Tamiya Field Grey as the equivalent for the Gunze Aqueous/Mr Color Field Grey spec'd.  Thanks for clearing this color issue up for me.  Any suggestions for priinted/online sources for historical color info (Besides you guys, of course... ) ?

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.