SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

So, does Future yellow over time, or what?

6 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
So, does Future yellow over time, or what?
Posted by BGuy on Saturday, December 11, 2010 12:50 AM

I was just talking to my LHS guy and he went on a little quasi-rant about how Future actually yellows over time, and how people using it for something other than clear parts are cheaping out by using something for the long term that wasn't meant for that sort of thing.  He cited a friend who's cars have consistently changed hue due to Future gloss treatment.

So, what's the deal with Future?

Posted by The Judge on Sunday, December 12, 2010 9:33 AM

I have one model that I sprayed with Future about two-3 years ago, a King Tiger, and as far as I can tell, it has not yellowed, with the caveat that yellowing on German 3-color camo is probably not easily noticed. 

Swanny states in The Complete Future that he has examined a number of models where Future was used and yellowing occurred, and found in every case that it was the paint underneath that had discolored.  You'll have to search for it on that page, I'm not sure where that section is located, but it's an informative read.

Aloha

Sitting inside in Hawai'i...
Posted by hkshooter on Sunday, December 12, 2010 9:48 AM

I've been using it for about four years. A good friend and better modeler has been using it for about ten years. If the stuff yellows I sure can't tell it.
I think the above comments are right, that the underlying paint can change it. Especially if the paint was not allowed to completely cure before it was applied.

Posted by HawkeyeHobbies on Sunday, December 12, 2010 10:21 AM

Future has additives in it to prevent yellowing from UV light. Think how happy a homeowner (wife) would be if the floors turned yellow after application.

Models that do turn yellow is from one of three reasons...prolonged direct exposure to UV light....reaction from paint exposed to UV (most hobby paints do not have any UV protection additives)....and nicotine from having a smoker in the dwelling.

Gerald "Hawkeye" Voigt

http://hawkeyes-squawkbox.com/

"Its not the workbench that makes the model, it is the modeler at the workbench."

Posted by Bgrigg on Sunday, December 12, 2010 11:42 AM

All clear coats, even Future, will yellow given enough time. UV radiation is unstoppable, and can only be slowed. Future do contain UV inhibitors, but they are short term use only. Most kitchens get cleaned and have Future re-applied long before any yellowing can occur.

So long folks!

Posted by rjkplasticmod on Sunday, December 12, 2010 12:14 PM

I have models that are going on 10 years old with no sign of yellowing of the Future top coat.  However I have several that were top coated with Testors Gloss Cote that have yellowed significantly.  All are stored the same way & UV protected as much as possible. 

Regards,  Rick

RICK At My Age, I've Seen It All, Done It All, But I Don't Remember It All...
Posted by wing_nut on Sunday, December 12, 2010 4:20 PM

I have Futured canopies from the mid 's that are crystal clear.

Marc  

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.