SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

Cyber-Hobby/Dragon Bf 109E-4

16 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
Cyber-Hobby/Dragon Bf 109E-4
Posted by DoogsATX on Thursday, January 27, 2011 2:25 PM

Got a call from the LHS today. Seems they remembered me asking about the new Cyber-Hobby/Dragon 1/32 109E-4 a few weeks back, and it was in stock. I need another kit like I need a hole in the head, so pulling out every willpower stop I had, I of course jumped in my car, drove over, and bought it.

I know there's been some interested bandied about regarding this kit, so I thought I'd share...

The guys were so eager to see it that we cracked it open right there in the store and inspected it. Since I'm working on Eduard's E-7 Trop right now (which I've seen a few reviews call the best 1/32 109E), it was kind of amazing to see just how much this new E-4 blows it out of the water. The cockpit, the exhausts, the wheel wells, the engine and guns and pretty much everything is cleaner, more crisp. The exhausts are hollowed out to a degree beyond Eduard's. The cockpit is crackling with detail. The fuselage looks fantastic. And the drop tank, which I'm pretty sure E-4s didn't even use (wasn't range and drop-tankability the catalyst for the E-7?), is quite possibly the single best-looking drop tank I've ever encountered.

All for less than Eduard's 109 weekend editions, much less their profi-packs. 

On the Bench: 1/32 Trumpeter P-47 | 1/32 Hasegawa Bf 109G | 1/144 Eduard MiG-21MF x2

On Deck:  1/350 HMS Dreadnought

Blog/Completed Builds: doogsmodels.com

Posted by BigSmitty on Thursday, January 27, 2011 2:45 PM

Interested to see how you like it.  It's been getting great reviews over on Aeroscale.  Might have to add this one into the stash as well.  A 1/32 E-4 can't be bigger than that 1/32 B-25 I've got on pre-order.Big Smile

Matt - IPMS #46275

"Build what ya love and love what ya build..."

Build Logs, Rants and Humor

Posted by DoogsATX on Thursday, January 27, 2011 2:51 PM

BigSmitty

Interested to see how you like it.  It's been getting great reviews over on Aeroscale.  Might have to add this one into the stash as well.  A 1/32 E-4 can't be bigger than that 1/32 B-25 I've got on pre-order.Big Smile

I like it enough that I'm tempted to put aside my E-7 (not going to...it's nearly to filling/sanding...but I'm tempted). 

Yeah...1/32 109s are about as big as I can go and still fit in my bookcases. I'd venture they're right about the size of a 1/48 Mosquito. No idea where I'm going to put that Wing-Scale B-25!

On the Bench: 1/32 Trumpeter P-47 | 1/32 Hasegawa Bf 109G | 1/144 Eduard MiG-21MF x2

Posted by satch_ip on Friday, January 28, 2011 7:33 AM

There is a build log on the Dragon Facebook page.

Dre
Posted by Dre on Friday, January 28, 2011 1:07 PM

Thanks for the write-up, Doogs.   It really is that nice?  I have the Eduard and the Trumpy 109's and was impressed by their detail, the Trumpy's a little nicer than the Eduard in some ways...  and vice-versa.

How many decal options are there in the Dragon kit? 

Posted by DoogsATX on Friday, January 28, 2011 1:51 PM

Dre

Thanks for the write-up, Doogs.   It really is that nice?  I have the Eduard and the Trumpy 109's and was impressed by their detail, the Trumpy's a little nicer than the Eduard in some ways...  and vice-versa.

How many decal options are there in the Dragon kit? 

It really is. Sadly, my E-7 is pretty much done with main assembly, since these are begging for some side-by-side sprue shots. I'm going to try to do some side-by-sides of the drop tanks tonight to illustrate the difference.

Obviously things may change when I actually start putting the thing together, but on the trees, it's as pretty as Tamiya's new Spitfires.

Oh, and 5 options. Adolf Galland's with the telescopic sight and then four others. Really complete stencils, too.

Dre
Posted by Dre on Friday, January 28, 2011 3:16 PM

OK, that seals the deal.   I want.  

Posted by DoogsATX on Friday, January 28, 2011 9:47 PM

I'm planning to take some better pics tonight, but here's a crappy iPhone look at the Dragon vs. Eduard drop tanks (Dragon is the gray):

Posted by Bish on Saturday, January 29, 2011 7:35 AM

I was going to get the Eduard kit a couple of months ago, really glad i didn't now. makes a change, i usually get a kit, then a better one comes out. Over the dragon kit is the same price as the profi kit, i guess the main differance is the lack of the coloured PE with the dragon kit. But judging by the photos of those tanks, it will be very much worth it. I take it you can also build the E-7 with the dragon kit.

I am a Norfolk man and i glory in being so

On the bench: Airfix 1/72nd Harrier GR.3/Fujimi 1/72nd Ju 87D-3

Posted by DoogsATX on Saturday, January 29, 2011 8:59 AM

A few better pics

Drop tanks...

Exhausts...

DB601. The detail is good enough that I don't think there's any need to scrape off and redo the wiring (though more would be needed in other places).

Machine guns compared...

20mm cannons compared...

Posted by DoogsATX on Saturday, January 29, 2011 9:03 AM

Bish

I was going to get the Eduard kit a couple of months ago, really glad i didn't now. makes a change, i usually get a kit, then a better one comes out. Over the dragon kit is the same price as the profi kit, i guess the main differance is the lack of the coloured PE with the dragon kit. But judging by the photos of those tanks, it will be very much worth it. I take it you can also build the E-7 with the dragon kit.

Colored PE and masks, yep. That and Eduard has way better painting instructions. But the Dragon is cheaper.

It looks like the kit has all the parts necessary for the E-7. Tank and bomb rack options, at least three and I want to say four spinner options. The only thing that's missing is the filter box for the E-7 Trop, but heck, there's probably one hiding somewhere in the sprue!

Posted by Bish on Saturday, January 29, 2011 9:08 AM

Well i am sure there will be some PE out for it soon. The kit still isn't out over here yet. It deffinatly looks worth it, think i might add that to the shopping list when i get home.

I am a Norfolk man and i glory in being so

On the bench: Airfix 1/72nd Harrier GR.3/Fujimi 1/72nd Ju 87D-3

Posted by Mikeym_us on Saturday, January 29, 2011 11:23 AM

DoogsATX

A few better pics

Drop tanks...

http://i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/doogsatx/Dragon%20Bf%20109E-4/file.jpg

Exhausts...

http://i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/doogsatx/Dragon%20Bf%20109E-4/file-4.jpg

DB601. The detail is good enough that I don't think there's any need to scrape off and redo the wiring (though more would be needed in other places).

http://i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/doogsatx/Dragon%20Bf%20109E-4/file-6.jpg

Machine guns compared...

http://i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/doogsatx/Dragon%20Bf%20109E-4/file-9.jpg

20mm cannons compared...

http://i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/doogsatx/Dragon%20Bf%20109E-4/file-10.jpg

Honestly the only 1/32 BF-109E that I own is the Trumpeter BF-109E-3 and it also includes a drop tank which looks quite similar detail wise to the one in your Dragon/CH kit. though the guns on the Trumpeter kit are of a multi-piece affair.

On the workbench: Dragon 1/350 scale Ticonderoga class USS BunkerHill 1/720 scale Italeri USS Harry S. Truman 1/72 scale Encore Yak-6

The 71st Tactical Fighter Squadron the only Squadron to get an Air to Air kill and an Air to Ground kill in the same week with only a F-15   http://photobucket.com/albums/v332/Mikeym_us/

Posted by MECHTECH on Monday, September 22, 2014 7:45 PM

The one thing that I found left out with the kit is painting instructions especially for the engine and the cockpit. They (Cyber-Hobby) could have given more info as to the paint colours that they advise to use especially around the cockpit. GSI CreosCorp./Aqueous Hobby color paints are not readily available here and trying to match those paints with other brands is a tedious task.

Posted by Nathan T on Monday, September 22, 2014 10:24 PM

Not too difficult to match RLM 02??...or any other RLM number for that matter.

Posted by MECHTECH on Tuesday, September 23, 2014 6:34 AM

Nathan, what I am refering to is that they give a list of paints to use. But the list does not include all the colors that they show in the instructions. And on parts like the engine, there are no colors given at all. When I check the web for engine colors, it looks like there are different colors given for different aircraft. I thought that an engine color would be common throughout, but color photos show different.

Posted by Nathan T on Tuesday, September 23, 2014 9:20 AM

I think the reason they left out the engine colors is like you said, it varied in real life. I've seen most German WW II engines (DB 600 series, and Jumo's) painted semi gloss black. Some Brands are better at paint callouts. Hasegawa comes to mind. They do list only Gunze paint codes, but they give the color name too so it would be easy to buy it in any brand.

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.