SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

USMC stencils

10 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
USMC stencils
Posted by Ghostrider114 on Tuesday, February 8, 2011 5:08 PM

I just picked up a Tamiya 1:35 sherman tank, and I'm thinking of making it as a USMC tank, with custom decals, does anyone here know what font would be best for me to use for the registration number stenciling?

Posted by Rob Gronovius on Tuesday, February 8, 2011 5:21 PM

Archer Fine Transfers has WW2 Marine Sherman sets. Go to their US armor complete sets (dry or waterslide) and the first two listed are Marine tanks. http://www.archertransfers.com/

Posted by Ghostrider114 on Tuesday, February 8, 2011 5:46 PM

that's cool, but I wanted to try printing them myself for this one.

Posted by BigDaddyBluesman on Tuesday, February 8, 2011 5:53 PM

The Archers look good and are inexpensive. You can get them directly from Acrher.

Posted by Ghostrider114 on Wednesday, February 9, 2011 11:43 AM

I'm sorry if there's been some confusion, but I'm looking for a computer font that is similar to USMC stencils, so I can do them myself.

Posted by Ghostrider114 on Wednesday, February 9, 2011 3:26 PM

thanks, one or two of those might work

Posted by HeavyArty on Wednesday, February 9, 2011 6:19 PM

I am assuming you are talking about white stencils on WWII vehicles.  I don't know how much experience you have with making your own decals, but unless you have an Alps printer, you can't make white stencils easily.  A normal home printer doesn't print white since the paper is white.  To make white, you have to use white decal paper and surround the stenciling with a square the same color as your vehicle color.  That is the hard part, matching the vehicle color.  This is the reason Archer and other AM decals are so popular.

Gino P. Quintiliani - Field Artillery - The KING of BATTLE!!!

Check out my Gallery: https://app.photobucket.com/u/HeavyArty

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

Posted by Ghostrider114 on Thursday, February 10, 2011 3:10 PM

it's my understanding that the Marines also stenciled in Reg. numbers in yellow, which would solve that problem.

Posted by HeavyArty on Thursday, February 10, 2011 3:30 PM

Not really.  It is hard to get a lighter color (red/yellow) to appear on a darker color like OD Green.  Home printers don't lay down a lot of color and the decals appear almost transparent.  To get them to show well, you still have to use the white backing paper.

Gino P. Quintiliani - Field Artillery - The KING of BATTLE!!!

Check out my Gallery: https://app.photobucket.com/u/HeavyArty

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

Posted by Ghostrider114 on Thursday, February 10, 2011 4:23 PM

thanks, that's good to know, I guess I will use the Archer set then

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.