SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

Revell P-47N sprue shots "2011 version"

19 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
Revell P-47N sprue shots "2011 version"
Posted by randypandy831 on Tuesday, July 26, 2011 2:06 PM

had to grab this kit because my academy kit had so many problems. makes me think if someone left it in the oven. it was warped really really bad.

no complaints for $20 bucks.

tamiya 1/48 P-47D $25 + shipping

tamiya 1/48 mosquito $20+ shipping

hobby boss 1/48 F-105G. wings and fuselage cut from sprue. $40+ shipping. 

Posted by ww2psycho on Tuesday, July 26, 2011 2:08 PM

I picked this kit up last week. Test fit the main parts together, only fit issue is the wings attaching to the fusalage, but if you work with it they arent too bad.

Posted by jeaton01 on Tuesday, July 26, 2011 2:29 PM

You have to work to get enough dihedral, the kit will fight you there, and the gear attach method results in a gear that is wobbly, at least mine is.  I liked the kit a lot in the Pro Modeler issue and it looks the same.

John

To see build logs for my models:  http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html

Posted by randypandy831 on Tuesday, July 26, 2011 2:41 PM

i had a feeling it wasn't going to go smooth. i was going to pull out the sprue cutters and dry fit the fuselage and wings but got lazy. maybe it's just me but revell kits always seem to be sloppy. 

Posted by stikpusher on Tuesday, July 26, 2011 3:05 PM

Well sloppy comes from all makers. I have been test fitting the wings on my Hasegawa P-47 and there is a substantial gap on joint between the lower fuslage and front edge of the lower wing assembly. Nothing that I can't correct myself with some basic skills and tools. This problem should not be there, but it is. But it makes me chuckle at all the fandom I see on here on how wonderful every new tooled (this is a new tooled kit) Tamigawa kit is. I hit a speedbump, I will fix the problem, and I drive on. No need to start a new thread about how I will never buy another kit of theirs again.

F is for FIRE, That burns down the whole town!

U is for URANIUM... BOMBS!

N is for NO SURVIVORS...

- Plankton

LSM

Posted by DoogsATX on Tuesday, July 26, 2011 3:45 PM

I think I built this one back when I was a youngin...

Been meaning to add it to the stash so I can have a full line of Jugs, Razorback, D-bubble, M and N. Don't remember the blast tubes being inserts, how do they look on the sprue (hard to tell from the pics).

Also, it's been like 20 years so I don't remember how exactly the kit goes together, but if its anything like the Monogram D kits, welding some thin strip styrene along the top of the wing at the wingroot seam does a great job eliminating the gap.

/the Tamiya Jug may well be my favorite kit of all time. 

//I still have a major, major weak spot for the old Revellogram P-47 kits. 

///Between the excellent Tamiya kit and the simple-but-solid R/M offerings, I see zero reason to ever pick up an Academy or Hasegawa P-47.

On the Bench: 1/32 Trumpeter P-47 | 1/32 Hasegawa Bf 109G | 1/144 Eduard MiG-21MF x2

On Deck:  1/350 HMS Dreadnought

Blog/Completed Builds: doogsmodels.com

Posted by stikpusher on Tuesday, July 26, 2011 3:59 PM

DoogsATX

///Between the excellent Tamiya kit and the simple-but-solid R/M offerings, I see zero reason to ever pick up an Academy or Hasegawa P-47.

Yeah but if you love Jugs Stick out tongue(can I say that here?Wink) and can find the Academy or Hasegawa for a good price anywhere, I wont pass them up... So many markings choices and such a beautiful big brute of a fighter...

N is for NO SURVIVORS...

- Plankton

LSM

Posted by redraider56 on Tuesday, July 26, 2011 4:08 PM

stikpusher

Well sloppy comes from all makers. I have been test fitting the wings on my Hasegawa P-47 and there is a substantial gap on joint between the lower fuslage and front edge of the lower wing assembly. Nothing that I can't correct myself with some basic skills and tools. This problem should not be there, but it is. But it makes me chuckle at all the fandom I see on here on how wonderful every new tooled (this is a new tooled kit) Tamigawa kit is. I hit a speedbump, I will fix the problem, and I drive on. No need to start a new thread about how I will never buy another kit of theirs again.

Ditto

Had my eye on this kit at the LHS.  Looks like a decent kit from the sprue shots and I may just have to pick it up next time

-Matt

On The Bench: 1/48 HK B-17G "Man-O-War II"

On Deck: 1/48 Tamiya P-38H, 1/48 Revell PV-1

Posted by randypandy831 on Tuesday, July 26, 2011 5:18 PM

well, nothing surprising with a revell kit. broke out the sprue cutters. one thing i never liked about revell/monogram is the sprue attachment points. i just thought since it's a newer kit it wouldn't be a problem. proble just a rebox with new decals. i have a tamiya D both in bubble top and razorback and M. only if they made an N model. like i said i can't complain for $20 bucks. 

how did you tackle the wing to fuselage gap? 

Posted by stikpusher on Tuesday, July 26, 2011 9:24 PM

It looks like a job for gel super glue and sanding sticks (course to fine).... Patience and persistance pays off. I am backdating it to a P-47C to make Robert Johnson's first mount, "Half Pint" where his combat career was almost closed out just as it began.

N is for NO SURVIVORS...

- Plankton

LSM

Posted by DoogsATX on Tuesday, July 26, 2011 10:03 PM

stikpusher

DoogsATX:

Yeah but if you love Jugs Stick out tongue(can I say that here?Wink) and can find the Academy or Hasegawa for a good price anywhere, I wont pass them up... So many markings choices and such a beautiful big brute of a fighter...

Well, I have a bit of dislike toward Academy in general. The kits of theirs I've touched have all felt slighly half-*** in execution, and that's something I've seen in a lot of reviews as well. That and I rarely see a deal that would make the Academy or Hasegawa a significantly better buy than the Revell or Monogram kits, or cheap enough that they so significantly undercut the Tamiya offerings. Basically I can pretty much always get a Monogram D for around $10-$15. And I can pretty much always get a Tamiya D for $30. Not really a massive range for Acadegawa to play in there, and so like Oldsmobile, they get caught in the middle. Especially when I've got two Tamiya Razors, and Monogram Razor, and a Tamiya M in the stash. I've got a lot of patience for the screaming deals to roll in...

On the Bench: 1/32 Trumpeter P-47 | 1/32 Hasegawa Bf 109G | 1/144 Eduard MiG-21MF x2

Posted by jeaton01 on Wednesday, July 27, 2011 12:34 AM

I did a build log when I built mine, maybe something there will help.

http://yolo.net/~jeaton/mymodels/p47/pmp47n/pmp47n.htm

John

To see build logs for my models:  http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html

Posted by Gamera on Wednesday, July 27, 2011 8:02 AM

Thanks for the photos Randy.

I'm assuming this is the same kit as the older Promodeler one? Anything added, deleted, or changed?

I've seen reviews that there are slight issues with both this and the Academy kit but this one seems to be slightly better. Recently picked up a bunch of great decals for the P-47N and dang did they get some great nose art. Heart

"I dream in fire but work in clay." -Arthur Machen

Posted by echolmberg on Wednesday, July 27, 2011 8:23 AM

Not sure if I'll pick this one up.  I understand the fuselage bulges laterally and is 2 scale inches too wide on either side.

Eric

PS.  Yes that was sarcasm!  I love the P-47N so I'll definitely be picking this one up as soon as I can.  The available nose art options are stunning!

Also, for what it's worth, I've built one Hasegawa P-47 (Razorback version) and I loved it.  Went together great and no real issues that I can remember.  But as Doog said, gimme a Monogram Jug any day!

Posted by B17Pilot on Wednesday, July 27, 2011 8:31 AM

Gamera

I'm assuming this is the same kit as the older Promodeler one? Anything added, deleted, or changed?

Kinda of wondering that myself.  I got the Pro-Modeler -N I'm about to do, and was wondering if the current release is just a repop of the pro-modeler version.  Got a Tamiya -M in the stash as well.

Tags: P-47

Posted by randypandy831 on Wednesday, July 27, 2011 10:26 AM

academy kits were a hit or miss for me. their D built fine but the N was a different story. i love the camo on the M. only if hase or tam released an N. 

it's ok though. this kit will help build my skills up. 

Posted by echolmberg on Wednesday, July 27, 2011 2:03 PM

The Pro-Modeler version wasn't a reboxing of the Academy//Minicraft version, was it?

Eric

Posted by Gamera on Wednesday, July 27, 2011 2:46 PM

echolmberg

The Pro-Modeler version wasn't a reboxing of the Academy//Minicraft version, was it?

Eric

According to Osprey's 'Modeling the P-47 Thunderbolt' they're different kits.

The Promodeler is better detailed and more accurate than the Academy kit though it has a rough surface to the plastic that needs to be sanded down if you're doing a NM plane. And oddly the landing gear legs are molded as part of the gear bay walls so you have to put the gear on when you close the wing. Or so Osprey says. Seems most of the folks here like the model so it sounds good enough for little old me.

"I dream in fire but work in clay." -Arthur Machen

Posted by DoogsATX on Wednesday, July 27, 2011 2:59 PM

Well, for all my griping on Academy, found the P-47N for a steal at the LHS today. That + my 20% off coupon brought it in cheaper than the Revell reissue, AND I do love the "Expected Goose" markings. 

Cursory inspection of the sprue reveals a few interesting tidbits.

1 - It is definitely NOT the same kit as the Revell -N. The wings are four pieces, rather than two uppers and a single lower that incorporates the belly. Also, the cowl is a two-piecer. Not really sure why, but whatevs. 

2 - Overall a far better thought-out kit than the Academy kit that made me hate Academy kits, the P-38. Been reading a few fit and warp problems in here, so sprue vs. build who knows? But none of the stupidity a la the "house of cards" P-38 canopy assembly. Seems more in line with their solid Nieuport 17.

3 - Separate leading edge inserts for the blast tube fairings. These are 1 - horizontal to the ground, rather than the wing edge, so kudos on that detal! and 2 - holed to accept the blast tubes as separate pieces, rather than molded-on plastic sticks. Which means I can totally transplant the superior Tamiya tubes destined for a Monogram Jug that flamed out in the decal stage.

4 - Oh my god the seat. Why did they even bother molding one if it's going to be that bad?Thankfully I have a second Ultracast in the spares.

Posted by randypandy831 on Wednesday, July 27, 2011 5:39 PM

im with Doogs. i don't like the two piece cowl. the office is horrible. my academy N had more fit problems then the revell. 

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.