SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

Kawasaki Ki-61 Hien conversion

6 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
Kawasaki Ki-61 Hien conversion
Posted by Plastic-surgeon on Wednesday, October 5, 2011 4:39 PM

This is the Hasegawa 1/32 scale Kawasaki Ki-61-I hei Hien ( Tony) converted a Ki-61-II kai Hien “bubble-top”.

I always liked the Kawasaki Ki-61-II Kai Hien “bubble-top”  and had been dreaming about converting the Hasegawa kit into one but the main problem was the so-called “clear parts” which I could not make myself. So when I saw that Alleycat made a resin conversion Ki-100 for the Hasegawa kit I mailed them and asked if I could buy a Ki-100 canopy from them. After several emails telling my intention with use of the canopy, I could purchase one for GBP 7,50 ( including postalcost)

Before I could start with the kit I had to finish two other kits; a Tamiya A6M5 Zero and the Hasegawa Myrt both 1/48 scale. After done the two I noticed Alleycat had a resin conversion Ki-61-II Kai, and I thought of choosing the easy way and buy their conversion kit.  If I was a rich man I would……

But buying the conversion kit  AND the Hasegawa kit as a donor kit  would not please the misses…..

Modifications on this kit; - made the nose-section of the plane longer, filled the gap with Tamiya white putty and Evergreen, sanded off the “hump” on the cowling, build a larger air-intake.

Cut off  the “back” of the plane and filled it with plastic and sheets of Evergreen.

The vertical stabilisor is enlarged with Evergreen and white putty.

The canopy I bought from AZ models and it is part of their  Kawasaki Ki-100 resin conversion kit.

Everything is painted except for the numbers on the tail, thes come from a 1/48 scale Zero.

Best regards from the Netherlands;

Ulrich

All that scrathing is making me itch!

Posted by Hercmech on Wednesday, October 5, 2011 4:41 PM

Very nice! Love the color modulation!

Posted by tigerman on Wednesday, October 5, 2011 10:29 PM

That's cool Ulrich. I don't think I've seen that bubble-topped version. Nicely done.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y269/wing_nut_5o/PANZERJAGERGB.jpg

Eric 

Posted by Plastic-surgeon on Thursday, October 6, 2011 12:14 PM

The "bubble-top" version was the last version of the Ki-61 Hien only 70 of these saw action. Due to production problems with the inline engine they installed radial engines into the remaining 300 or so Ki-61-II kai airframes at the factory. These radial engined ones were named Ki-100-otsu.

All that scrathing is making me itch!

Posted by Anonymous on Thursday, October 6, 2011 12:17 PM

Plastic-surgeon

The "bubble-top" version was the last version of the Ki-61 Hien only 70 of these saw action. Due to production problems with the inline engine they installed radial engines into the remaining 300 or so Ki-61-II kai airframes at the factory. These radial engined ones were named Ki-100-otsu.

Yeah, and that Ki-100 was reported to be the best Japanese Army fighter of the war...I have the Hasegawa quarter-scale boxing of this a/c...

Posted by Gamera on Thursday, October 6, 2011 12:44 PM

Yeah, I too had never seen the 'bubble-top' outside the Ki-100. Very nice build and beautiful paint job.

Welcome to the FSM forums and I hope you'll be posting more of your excellent work!

Welcome Sign

"I dream in fire but work in clay." -Arthur Machen

Posted by jeaton01 on Thursday, October 6, 2011 4:27 PM

Welcome and nice work from me, too.

John

To see build logs for my models:  http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.