SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

Looking to get into Air brushing... Need thoughts on best compressor/ air brush to start with.

23 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
Looking to get into Air brushing... Need thoughts on best compressor/ air brush to start with.
Posted by JCurtis on Tuesday, February 14, 2012 5:40 PM

requesting some suggestions as to best set up to start with... reasonably priced of course.

Posted by Reasoned on Tuesday, February 14, 2012 5:45 PM

This is the one I have, quiet, adjustable, works well & inexpensive.  Harbor Freight

Science is the pursiut of knowledge, faith is the pursuit of wisdom.  Peace be with you.

On the Tarmac: 1/48 Revell P-38

In the Hanger: A bunch of kits

Posted by keilau on Wednesday, February 15, 2012 12:39 PM

JCurtis

requesting some suggestions as to best set up to start with... reasonably priced of course.

The answer depends on your definition of "reasonable". The equivalent of one, two, three or four Tamiya 1:32 P-51 kits?

If you want to keep the spending under $100, it is worth taking a look at the Airbrush Depot TC-20 compressor that comes with a 2 years warranty for $80. There is no indication whether there is any difference in quality from the HF ones. But you get a slightly longer peace of mind for the same price.

The HF compressors come with a 90 days warranty. And the manual says 500 hours operational life. It does not mean that the compressor will die after 90 days or 500 hours of running. But why not get the same compressor with longer warranty! My first compressor was made in China and I bought another one last year for test. Both ran quietly, but the cylinder heads are much hotter than that of a Sparmax or Iwata. Heat is the worst enemy to small oilless compressors.

If you can, spend the money to buy a Sparmax. If you know that you are modeling for the long haul, it is worth the investment. If you are in the US, the Sparmax TC-2000 can be had for about $200 by mail order or at Hobby Lobby.

If you are in UK or Europe, the Revell Master Class Compressor is a wonderful value at £166.66 before VAT.

Airbrush professionals likes the Super Silent type compressor from Silentaire or Jun Air. But they are above my league at $600 or more. You can call those "best" compressor for airbrushing.

Posted by Cadet Chuck on Wednesday, February 15, 2012 1:03 PM

I bought the Sparmax TC-2000 at Hobby Lobby using their 40% off coupon.  I've been very happy with it- it's quiet, well made, the regulator and gauge are a nice bonus, and it is a twin piston unit, which minimizes air pulsations.

Gimme a pigfoot, and a bottle of beer...

Posted by panzerpilot on Wednesday, February 15, 2012 1:12 PM

I have been using a Thayer and Chandler Air Star V. Now, labeled as the Badger Air Star V, I've had it for 8 years and it's never missed a beat. I don't know if $200 is reasonable, but it will last forever.

-Tom

Posted by iraqiwildman on Wednesday, February 15, 2012 1:32 PM

Reasoned

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/175x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_11828.jpg

This is the one I have, quiet, adjustable, works well & inexpensive.  Harbor Freight

I have been using this for about 2 years and really like it.

Tim Wilding

Posted by modelmatters on Sunday, February 19, 2012 1:37 PM

get something with a small tank that holds some air so you can maintain the pressure you set. that is the most valuble tip of all. cheaper one will be noisy of course I use a hydrovane with a 50 litre tank on bottom more than enough .but does not make much noise  as it has a rotary engine also it does not have work often to fill up tank...do plenty of window shopping  ..all the best. lokk at industrial noisy ones with a small tank 5 litres .one has to pay a fortune for something quiet .

Dont Know what signiture means but I mean it when I say I am interested in all aspects /subjects ,I guess I especially love Aircraft and military dioramas plus  sci-fi  and figures

Posted by GreenThumb on Sunday, February 19, 2012 1:47 PM

I have been using this one for about 8 years now and love it.

It is pricey as it is a high end silent compressor but it will outlast me if properly cared for.

Mike

Posted by wjbwjb29 on Sunday, February 19, 2012 1:59 PM

Reasoned how does the HF compresser work, does it come on when you start to airbrush and then go off or does it run all the time. with no tank I would assume the air line is the tank.

Bill

On the Bench:   Trumperter Tsesarevich on deck Glencoe USS Oregon

Posted by Reasoned on Sunday, February 19, 2012 6:08 PM

wjbwjb29

Reasoned how does the HF compresser work, does it come on when you start to airbrush and then go off or does it run all the time. with no tank I would assume the air line is the tank.

Bill

Yes, auto on/off and I've noticed no problems without a tank. Seems like consistent airflow all the time.

Science is the pursiut of knowledge, faith is the pursuit of wisdom.  Peace be with you.

Posted by keilau on Monday, February 20, 2012 7:33 AM

wjbwjb29

Bill

No, the airhose of the Harbor Freight compressor does not work as a tank.

In some Iwata or Sparmax compressor, they have a long coiled plastic hose between the compressor and the regulator/filter unit. The hose is under the higher compressor pressure before being reduced at the regulator. The elasticity of this first host is supposed to cool and smooth out the air flow acting like a mini air tank. You can modify any compressor in similar fashion for less than $10.

Yes, the automatic on-off feature is very important. The HF compressor has it. In addition, shop for long warranty period from established vendor who can support it. Ask the user how hot the compressor get after extended use of half hour or longer

Posted by Bick on Monday, February 20, 2012 5:19 PM

Regarding the HF compressor, I've had mine for over two years -  it's had daily use for the last several months and works just fine; it doesn't get hot. And, importantly for me it doesn't 'walk' all over the shop while its running like my diaphragm compressor does. Interestingly, there are no pulsations at the airbrush even with out a tank. I use a 6 ft HF hose with mine. There is a reservoir (however small) of air in the combined compressor, moisture trap/regulator and hose. If I turn my compressor on, wait til it turns itself off, then turn the compressor OFF, then depress the trigger on my AB I get a flow of air (yes, at diminishing pressure) for 4-5 seconds before the 'reservoir' is empty. I haven't found the need for a tank even though I think a tank is a useful addition.

Posted by keilau on Tuesday, February 21, 2012 7:51 AM

Bick

Regarding the HF compressor, I've had mine for over two years -  it's had daily use for the last several months and works just fine; it doesn't get hot. And, importantly for me it doesn't 'walk' all over the shop while its running like my diaphragm compressor does. Interestingly, there are no pulsations at the airbrush even with out a tank. I use a 6 ft HF hose with mine. There is a reservoir (however small) of air in the combined compressor, moisture trap/regulator and hose. If I turn my compressor on, wait til it turns itself off, then turn the compressor OFF, then depress the trigger on my AB I get a flow of air (yes, at diminishing pressure) for 4-5 seconds before the 'reservoir' is empty. I haven't found the need for a tank even though I think a tank is a useful addition.

The main issue with Chinese made compressor is the inconsistence in qulaity control. It is not unlike the quality problem that Don Wheeler reported on the Neo for Iwata airbrush. To protect youself, it is better to get one with 2-years warranty instead of 90-days.

Judging from the posts at this forum, the percentage of people getting good Chinese made compressor has increased significantly. The chance is much better than, say, 2 years ago. It would be very helpful to other compressor shoppers if some of the users can try measuring the compressor head temperature after holding down the trigger on an airbrush for 30 minutes to force continuous running of the compressor. Then measure the same temperatuer at an normal airbrush session when the AB is off-on after an hour.

Posted by Reasoned on Tuesday, February 21, 2012 1:54 PM

keilau

Bick:

The main issue with Chinese made compressor is the inconsistence in qulaity control. It is not unlike the quality problem that Don Wheeler reported on the Neo for Iwata airbrush. To protect youself, it is better to get one with 2-years warranty instead of 90-days.

Judging from the posts at this forum, the percentage of people getting good Chinese made compressor has increased significantly. The chance is much better than, say, 2 years ago. It would be very helpful to other compressor shoppers if some of the users can try measuring the compressor head temperature after holding down the trigger on an airbrush for 30 minutes to force continuous running of the compressor. Then measure the same temperatuer at an normal airbrush session when the AB is off-on after an hour.

Admittedley new at this, I have never had to run my compressor for more than a 5-10 sec burst (probably longer when I clean it), with a total session lasting 10 min max or so before switching paint.

Posted by keilau on Tuesday, February 21, 2012 4:38 PM

Reasoned

keilau:

Admittedly new at this, I have never had to run my compressor for more than a 5-10 sec burst (probably longer when I clean it), with a total session lasting 10 min max or so before switching paint.

I did this type of test to help uncover the potential problem of a compressor. It is called accelerated test in engineering term. It should not do any damage to a well built compressor.

The compressor starts generating heat and wear of the lubricating coatings on the piston and cylinder wall the moment it runs. The compressor is a fair amount of metal that takes awhile to heat up. Running it continuously for a while makes it easier to measure and compare.

Besides, if the compressor has defect, it is better to know it when new instead of after warranty.

Posted by goodidea on Tuesday, February 21, 2012 5:04 PM

I purchased this a bit over a year ago. Tank is built into the handle.

Love it.

Jim Heikkala

http://www.iwata-medea.com/index.php/products/tubular_compressors_smart_jet_plus

Posted by Bick on Tuesday, February 21, 2012 6:01 PM

Kellau,

You may be correct about QC problems but I wonder how many brand name compressors are made from Chinese parts with just enough local activity to legally allow "made in [wherever]"? I'm not defending HF or any other distributor who sells compressors 'made in China' but rather expressing my experience.  And, BTW, with my current HF compressor, I would like a tank. Not because it reduces pulsations but because it reduces the number of on/off switching. Those pressure switches have a finite life (don't know what their cycle life is) and having the compressor turn on once every two or more minutes with a small tank as opposed to every 5 seconds while I'm spraying without a tank is a real advantage. If I get some time I'll measure the temps on my HF.

Posted by wjbwjb29 on Tuesday, February 21, 2012 6:40 PM

I just picked up that HF  unit and it is alot quieter than my pancake. I think I am going to like it alot. And for the price (it was on sale) cant be beat.

Bill

On the Bench:   Trumperter Tsesarevich on deck Glencoe USS Oregon

Posted by RedCorvette on Tuesday, February 21, 2012 6:59 PM

I've got a thirty-year-old Badger oil-less compressor.  Can't remember what I paid for it. but it was their entry-level model.    It's a bit noisy, but it still works great.  Other than having to replace the hose several times, I haven't had any problems with it.

I did add an in-line moisture trap which helps here in humid Florida.

Mark 

FSM Charter Subscriber

Posted by keilau on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 5:47 AM

Bick

Kellau,

You may be correct about QC problems but I wonder how many brand name compressors are made from Chinese parts with just enough local activity to legally allow "made in [wherever]"? I'm not defending HF or any other distributor who sells compressors 'made in China' but rather expressing my experience.  And, BTW, with my current HF compressor, I would like a tank. Not because it reduces pulsations but because it reduces the number of on/off switching. Those pressure switches have a finite life (don't know what their cycle life is) and having the compressor turn on once every two or more minutes with a small tank as opposed to every 5 seconds while I'm spraying without a tank is a real advantage. If I get some time I'll measure the temps on my HF.

Bick, if your HF compressor works quietly and powerful enough for your airbrush over time, it IS a good compressor to you. People come to this forum to get advise on the best value for their money. Those who post are willing to share. The statistics of one sample may not be the best indicator. I just pointed out that you can get the same quality of compressor at the same price, but a 2-years instead of 90-days warranty from aother source.

You can see my other post to learn why I proposed the type of checking on compressors. Does the heat indicator mean anything? As an engineer, I believe it does. When I get tools like the airbrush and compressor, I hope that they last me a long time. I believe that you do not have to spend $500-600 upward to get that.

As for adding a tank, I shared my experience a while back. With the Chinese compressor as cheap as they are today, it may be better to just get one with tank for the cheaper total cost. I tested one last year and posted the result here.

Posted by Bick on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 11:07 AM

Kellau or other interested,

I just ran my HF compressor for 30 minutes as suggested - temp was measured with a ProExotics infra red thermometer. Before starting, after sitting unused overnight, both cylinder head and motor case were 68.1 deg F (my basement workshop is on the cool side); after 30 minutes of continuous running the cylinder head was 110.2 deg F and the motor case was 123.6. Probably a little higher than I expected but a 40 deg temp rise with a fractional HP motor wouldn't be out of line. The 55 deg rise in motor case temp was higher than I expected since in normal airbrushing the motor case doesn't even get warm. Anyway, there it is for what it's worth.

Posted by waynec on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 12:47 PM
does that have a pressure adjustment? i have one like that and added a regulator but it doesn't seem very accurate. i have been using the harbor freight red 3 gal tank one. i tend to a/b tamiya at high pressure but it works so why not. it's noisy but i'm in the basement.

Никто не Забыт    (No one is Forgotten)
Ничто не Забыто  (Nothing is Forgotten)

Posted by Reasoned on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 1:17 PM

Yes, the HF 1/8 hp unit has a regulator, moisture trap, auto on/off and is very quiet.

Posted by keilau on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 5:11 PM

Bick

Kellau or other interested,

I just ran my HF compressor for 30 minutes as suggested - temp was measured with a ProExotics infra red thermometer. Before starting, after sitting unused overnight, both cylinder head and motor case were 68.1 deg F (my basement workshop is on the cool side); after 30 minutes of continuous running the cylinder head was 110.2 deg F and the motor case was 123.6. Probably a little higher than I expected but a 40 deg temp rise with a fractional HP motor wouldn't be out of line. The 55 deg rise in motor case temp was higher than I expected since in normal airbrushing the motor case doesn't even get warm. Anyway, there it is for what it's worth.

Bick, very useful information on made-in-China airbrush compressor. It is consistent with what I saw before in the other post.

We don't always have a cool basement to do modeling. The 55 degrees temperature rise could be marginal in hotter area. It is the reason that I suggest buyer of made-in-China airbrush compressor to do this quick test. If it does not trip the thermal cut-off switch or cause other problems, you get a good compressor for the money. If problem arises during the test, the compressor should still be under warranty and can be returned or exchanged.

An airbrush compressor is a precision made machine. Never, ever, buy one from the run-by-mill vendor on Ebay. Stick with the established vendors of aribrush equipments. There are a few house brand compressors you can choose from, BearAir, TCPGlobal (Airbrush Depot), Badger or Paasche. They are all made-in-China, but are cheap and with reasonable warranty.

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.