SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

Paasche DA400R Toggle Switch

7 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
Paasche DA400R Toggle Switch
Posted by M1 A1 A2 Tanker on Friday, February 17, 2012 12:05 AM

Just got my DA400R in the mail today. Played with it a bit and all seems fine.

But I cannot find the toggle switch mentioned in the July 2008 FSM to save my life.

Does anyone know where this is located? Or did Paasche do a redesign and remove it?

Thanks

Scott

“Computers are like Old Testament gods; lots of rules and no mercy.”  ~ Joseph Campbell

Posted by keilau on Friday, February 17, 2012 6:58 AM

M1 A1 A2 Tanker

Just got my DA400R in the mail today. Played with it a bit and all seems fine.

But I cannot find the toggle switch mentioned in the July 2008 FSM to save my life.

Does anyone know where this is located? Or did Paasche do a redesign and remove it?

Thanks

Scott

There are at least 3 versions of the DA400R if not more. I am very curious which one you got. What type of on-off switch you model has?

Before August 2008, the DA400R was made by Sparmax in Taiwan which has a simple on-off toogle. Then, they switch to a Chinese supplier which put a 3-way toggle with the "continuous on" option. See my post about it here.

According to the Paasche web site, they switched back to a supplier in Taiwan again in August 2011, but I have no information whether it is Sparmax again. If yes, it is very good news because of the much higher Sparmax quality.

The product tag on your compressor should say "Made in (Taiwan or China) for Passche".

My older Paasche DA400 runs really cool. The temperature of the cylinder head gets no more than warm to the touch even if I force the compressor to run continuously for 30 minutes. The made-in-China one will get much hotter.

Posted by Milairjunkie on Friday, February 17, 2012 8:27 AM

keilau

According to the Paasche web site, they switched back to a supplier in Taiwan again in August 2011, but I have no information whether it is Sparmax again. If yes, it is very good news because of the much higher Sparmax quality.

It's possibly not current, but the image of the DA400R on the Paasche website doesn't appear to be of a Sparmax built model?

Posted by keilau on Friday, February 17, 2012 10:46 AM

Milairjunkie

keilau:

It's possibly not current, but the image of the DA400R on the Paasche website doesn't appear to be of a Sparmax built model?

Not sure what you mean.

The August 2011 DA400R manual said "Manufactured in Taiwan for Paasche". Yes, they did not mention Sparmax, nor did they in the pre 2008 manual or the compressor itself.

The picture in the current manual definitely has the old black color and looks like the old model. The old one was generally believed to be made by Sparmax. Do I have prove? No. Where was it made? The tag says "Taiwan".

Posted by M1 A1 A2 Tanker on Friday, February 17, 2012 11:44 PM

keilau

Milairjunkie:

keilau:

Not sure what you mean.

The August 2011 DA400R manual said "Manufactured in Taiwan for Paasche". Yes, they did not mention Sparmax, nor did they in the pre 2008 manual or the compressor itself.

The picture in the current manual definitely has the old black color and looks like the old model. The old one was generally believed to be made by Sparmax. Do I have prove? No. Where was it made? The tag says "Taiwan".

Mine says "made in Taiwan." and looks exactly like your picture keilau. Except it is blue.

I believe they switched back to the original guys.

See ya

Scott

“Computers are like Old Testament gods; lots of rules and no mercy.”  ~ Joseph Campbell

Posted by Milairjunkie on Saturday, February 18, 2012 10:09 AM

keilau

Not sure what you mean.

I'm saying that the current picture of the DA400R on the Paasche website doesn't look like a Sparmax built compressor. What other images I have seen of other versions of the DA400R don't look like Sparmax built models either.

I'm not saying that they aren't built in Taiwan, but I don't think that they are built by Sparmax - an easy way to check is to remove the chrome end plate at the front of the compressor where you should find the casing clearly marked with the Sparmax name/logo.

Posted by keilau on Saturday, February 18, 2012 2:20 PM

Milairjunkie

keilau:

Not sure what you mean.

I'm saying that the current picture of the DA400R on the Paasche website doesn't look like a Sparmax built compressor. What other images I have seen of other versions of the DA400R don't look like Sparmax built models either.

I'm not saying that they aren't built in Taiwan, but I don't think that they are built by Sparmax - an easy way to check is to remove the chrome end plate at the front of the compressor where you should find the casing clearly marked with the Sparmax name/logo.

Many of the Chinese compressors mimiz the popular Dinghwa/Iwata compressor style. It is no proof that the compressor comes from the Sparmax/Iwata factory even if they look similar. There are quite a few manufacturers in Taiwan that produce airbrush compressor and Dinghwa is not even the biggest one. Most of the twin piston airbrush compressor from Taiwan use a 1/6 horsepower motor and rate maximum pressure at 90 psi or higher. On the contrary, similar Chinese compressors will rate the motor 1/3 horsepower and maximum pressure at 60 psi.

I believe that a real measure of the  compressor quality is how hot the piston head gets after extended continuous run of, say, 30 minutes. When I forced the Paasche DA400 to run continuously for 30 minutes, the compressor cylinder head got warm, but I can keep my hand on it without feeling burnt. A laser thermometer registered 104°F in a 80 degrees basement. In normal use, on and off, it hardly even gets warm.

It all boils down to have a good design, use the right coating material for piston and cylinder wall and tight tolerance in machining. I tested a few Chinese compressors which heated up to 45-55°F above room temperature. It still provides good, quiet service for modelers, but may not last as long as the cooler one. It is not bad at all compared to my first airbrush compressor. It was a Silentaire Scorpion-I (Model MA-1000A) clone from China, sold by Airbrush City. It looked identical to the Scorpion down to the last details, same instruction manual. But it ran hot and will shut down itself in a 30 minutes normal airbrush (on off) session. (It has a thermal protection shut-off switch when it gets too hot, but the motor runs continuously.)

If you do a search on "DA400" or "DA400R" at this forum, you will find a few complaints on hot running Paasche DA400 during the 2008-2009 period. Some ended up having to return theirs. Paasche probably learnt the lesson and switched back.

I hope that the DA400R that Scott got runs as cool as mine. It does not matter who made it.

Posted by keilau on Saturday, February 18, 2012 2:36 PM

M1 A1 A2 Tanker

keilau:
 Milairjunkie:
 keilau:

Not sure what you mean.

Mine says "made in Taiwan." and looks exactly like your picture keilau. Except it is blue.

I believe they switched back to the original guys.

Scott

I hope that your new DA400R will run as cool as my old DA400. Good luck.

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.