SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

Amphibious assault ships

17 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
Amphibious assault ships
Posted by Anonymous on Saturday, March 19, 2005 12:30 PM
Hi all,

I'm relatively new here, as well as to the modelling scene.
Anyway, after building a few aircraft kits when I was a child I have never really made anything special. Until now!! I'm collecting a large fleet of Naval ships, most of them in 1/700th scale. My newest additions are the LST-4002 from Tamiya and the LHD-4 USS Boxer (BTW, those helo's, harriers and V-22's are really small in scale 1:700th!!Big Smile [:D]Big Smile [:D]) from Revell. Both are amphibious assault/support ships, which happen to be my favorite genre in ships.
Anyway, I was wondering if anyone here could give some tips in making these ships. Or are there any books on this subject?
BTW, speaking of the Boxer, she is a Wasp class Landing ship. But the scale is 1/700, I was wondering if this (or a similar design) is also available in 1/350th scale? You see, when I get some more experience (and more display space...) I'd like to take on a massive modelling project. Something that dwarves even the largest aircraft carrier to a "puny attackboat"Big Smile [:D]Big Smile [:D]
I'd like to create an AFSD which stands for "Afloat Forward Staging Base" more commonly known as "SeaBase". The basis for thsi ship is a super tanker or giant container carrier hull fitted with a large flightdeck. This would be capable of having a huge number of helicopters tiltrotors (V-22 Osprey and V-44 QTR) as well as VTOL aircraft (Harrier/JSF) to be stationed aboard.
Below is an image of such a design:

Massive!! I know, but before I ever be able to make such a ship... Currently the largest container ships are about 250-300 meters long. But in Korea they are already talking about ships of 400 meters and larger, possibly even 500 meters or more. Even now the ULCC's and VLCC's are comparable to this size, the biigest commercial ship (actually the biggest sailing vehicle in the world) is the ULCC "Jahre Viking" which is 458 meters long. So a 500 meter ship should be just around the corner. The various Marine Corps around the world are already drooling when thinking of these kinds of ships. Just imagine, an enormous amount of troops, vehicles, spares, supplies etc. etc. very near the frontlines, but far enough from shore to be relatively safe from hostile forces. No longer having to depend on foreign bases, and far better to control.

Sorry for the rambling, I get a little carried away sometimes...

Anyway, are there any models available of ULCC's or giant containerships? Preferably in scale 1/700th? Projected size for the ship should be about 70 or 80 cm long.
I'm also looking for a model of the HMS Ocean, the new LPH from the Royal Navy. I thought that Revell had a model of it, but I can't find any references of it anywhere...
Thanks for any help!!

Remko
Posted by Anonymous on Saturday, March 19, 2005 5:07 PM
Besides building the models I also like to draw my own ships. Most of them based on concept artwork found in books and on the net. As I usually draw them in 1/700th scale, I thought that the V-22 Osprey's included with the USS Boxer would make good reference material for determining elevator and flight deck size. Well, after assembling the second aircraft (the first got crashed under my chair after it fell of my desk Sad [:(]Sad [:(]) I measuered it up..... I was not happy at that moment.... The V-22 "model" is far to small.... It's not even close to being 1/700th, but rather 1/1,000th. Too bad Revell. I didn't thought it would be that difficult to produce a decent model.
As I'm not really experienced with this, I was wondering if this common practice in scale model aircraft for ship models. Or is this only Revell?
Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!

Remko
Posted by therriman on Sunday, March 20, 2005 7:19 PM
As a veteran of the "Gator Navy". I wish we could get more ships in our chosen scale (1/350 for me). I will always have a weakness for "our ships". But sadly they are not very popular.

P.S. I'm a veteran of the USS Guadalcanal (LPH-7).
Tim H. "If your alone and you meet a Zero, run like hell. Your outnumbered" Capt Joe Foss, Guadalcanal 1942 Real Trucks have 18 wheels. Anything less is just a Toy! I am in shape. Hey, Round is a shape! Reality is a concept not yet proven.
Posted by subfixer on Monday, March 21, 2005 5:37 AM
The AFSB concept has one glaring flaw that I see, the "putting all your eggs in one basket" risk. Granted, it would be hard to sink, but it wouldn't take much to foul things up.

I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Posted by boscotdg on Monday, March 21, 2005 8:33 AM
I agree with subfixer here A ship of that size would make it a primo target . I'm sure the boys in blue would rather have several smaller ships that would be available for several "hot spots" at the same cost rather than one huge one.
Posted by cdclukey on Monday, March 21, 2005 3:35 PM
Remko, keep an eye on the group build section of the forum early next year...I have an idea for a build that would be right up your alley.
Posted by dr207 on Tuesday, March 22, 2005 9:25 PM
There is one large scale "Gator Navy" ship kit available. Iron Shipwright makes a 1/350 LST kit. It's available off their web site. Nice kit, too. Additional amphibs are also available in 1/700 scale. Dragon makes the LHA class in plastic. JAG makes excellent kits of an LST as well as 3 varieties of LPD. I'm currently making their Austin kit (as USS Denver LPD-9), a nice build. These are resin kits.
Posted by Anonymous on Thursday, March 24, 2005 8:24 AM
What's the quality of the Dragon Tarawa (LHA) class models? Are they better than the Revell/Monogram or comparable in quality?

I'm still looking for this: Dragon Soviet Air Cushion Landing Craft
here's a link to Tridenthobbies.com featuring this model set: http://tridenthobbies.com/store/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=NM&Product_Code=DML7011
It's sold out there, and I was wondering if anybody here might know where I could find it. I've been looking for this set since I was about 12 years old, but my parents wouldn't give it to me back then at first. And when my mom finally succombed to my pleas and gave me the money to get the model, the shop was already closed.....Sad [:(]Sad [:(]Sad [:(]Sad [:(]Sad [:(]Sad [:(]Sad [:(]Sad [:(]
Any help would be very appreciated!!!!

Remko
Posted by seasick on Thursday, March 24, 2005 2:59 PM
Try Pacific Front Hobbies, or keep your eyes peeled on EBAY.

Chasing the ultimate build.

Posted by Anonymous on Thursday, March 24, 2005 3:10 PM
Thanks seasick, Pacific Front still has them!!!
I'm going to order it right away!!

Remko
Posted by Anonymous on Sunday, March 27, 2005 9:56 AM
Something went wrong I think...
Somehow my order didn't get through... I'll send them an e-mail sometime this week. But, they still have it in inventory, so I'm pretty sure the model will be in my possession soon!!!Big Smile [:D]Big Smile [:D]Big Smile [:D]

Anyway, the Australian Government is considering getting a new ship. It will be a so called LHD "Landing Helicopter, Dock" to support amphibious landings. I have a few images of a preliminary model that was on a defence industries show. Unfortuntately these are the only images available.....
Bow view:

Stern view:

This is a concept image of this ship. Too bad that it is so very small... I really like this ship!! The design was done by the Spanish company IZAR and the French company Armaris. I'll contact them and ask if they might be able to send some larger photo's/art!

Remko
Posted by Anonymous on Saturday, April 2, 2005 3:45 PM
I just came up with something. On websites such as GlobalSecurity.org and FAS.org there is some talk about a new LHD or LHA class os ship, currently known as the LHA(X)/LHD(X). For the moment this is still in the very early phases of development, and it may not be commissioned for another 15 to 20 years. It will be a follow up to the Wasp class, and have more space for LCAC's, helo's and the new V-22 Osprey and Lockheed JSF. GlobalSecurity.org gives the size of the ship as app. 300 meters long.
Now, I am looking for a reasonably priced model of a Tarawa or Wasp class ship, but in scale 1/600th. I will then add 1/700th details (weaponsytems, aircraft, LCAC's) and Bingo, instant LHD(X).
Only one problem.... Is there a model of a Wasp or Tarawa available in 1/600th?
I have already done a quick search, but haven't found anything yet... Sad [:(]Sad [:(]
Any help/info here?? Thanks!!

Remko
Posted by se5022 on Saturday, April 2, 2005 4:53 PM
I haven't seen an amphibious assault ship in 1/350th, and that is a shame!! I was aboard LHD-6 for Ex:Kernal Blitz several years ago and I've wanted a big model of one ever since. I figure I'll have to scratchbuild...
Posted by Anonymous on Sunday, April 3, 2005 6:31 AM
Or you haven't searched good enough....
However, it depends on the price you are willing to pay for it.....
For more information, look here: http://www.allwoodwings.com/index.html For Amphibious ships, go to "Ships and boats" => "Military ships" => "Amphibious forces" and click on the type of ship you like. If I could afford it, I would buy one in a heartbeat!! You can even get your customized ship!! However, they're not kits, although I don't mind that at all, they look excellent!! No plastic though... Just made of wood!!!

Remko
Posted by Anonymous on Tuesday, April 5, 2005 11:19 AM
I was wondering if someone here could help me with something.
I am looking for a model of the Dutch LPD-1, the "Hr. Ms. Rotterdam". It's an ENFORCER-series ship designed by Royal Schelde and Damen Shipyards. As the name already suggests, it is a Landing Platform Dock. Here's a link to it:
http://www.naval-technology.com/projects/rotterdam/
I have seen models of it, but I don't know if they are for sale....
I don't care wether it's in scale 1/350th or 1/700th (although I prefer the latter).
Any other modern LPD or LSD is also on my wishlist.
Any help would be much appreciated!!
Thanks!!

Remko
Posted by Anonymous on Tuesday, April 5, 2005 7:38 PM
You guys in the "gator Navy" are the best sailors in the navy. I was an Amtrac'er in the Marines for 10+years and had the privilige of "scraping the teak" on just about every wet well in 6th fleet and a couple of T's. Id love to see Portland LSD-37 and Carter Hall LSD-50 in either 1/700 or 1/350....as a diorama with my pigs splashing out the well!!!
Posted by Anonymous on Wednesday, April 6, 2005 3:37 AM
Actually I have never been in any of the armed forces, although my great uncle served on the Hr. Ms. Karel Doorman (former HMS Venerable of the UK Royal Navy) for some years. I'm still thinking about getting a large scale model of that for his birthday or something. I'll think about that later.....
I just like to read about military machines and built the models. The "Gator-force" is one of my favorite. Just because of the reason you said, Amtrakpaladin. There is nothing more awesome in the world than to see a large amphibious force positioning itself in off-shore and disgorging thousands of troops unto the beach!! I don't know for sure, but I can imagine that any enemy force watching this really has some serious "Brown-Trousers-Time"!!!!Big Smile [:D]Big Smile [:D]Big Smile [:D]Big Smile [:D]Big Smile [:D]

BTW, if you have been in the Marines, could you tell me something about your equipment? I have always loved those Warthog's Amphibious Assault Vehicles (official name LVT or AAVP7), even though I'm well aware of their poor "swimming" capabilities. If you have some photo's of them, that would be great!!
Anyway, Textron Marine Systems is working on a new LCU, based on the LCU-9 design from the late seventies. It's capable of carrying 3 (THREE!!!) Abrams Main Battle Tanks in only one sortie!!Cool [8D]Cool [8D]Cool [8D]
Here's a link to their website:
LCAC: http://www.systems.textron.com/index.html?topframe/top.html&leftframe/productsmenu.html&mainframe/products/tmls/lcac.html
HCAC: http://www.systems.textron.com/index.html?topframe/top.html&leftframe/productsmenu.html&mainframe/products/tmls/lcs.html
HSLCU: http://www.systems.textron.com/index.html?topframe/top.html&leftframe/productsmenu.html&mainframe/products/tmls/lcur.html

Remko

Posted by Anonymous on Wednesday, April 6, 2005 5:23 PM
Sure thing Remko, drop me an e-mail, or if you want we can make this thread a flaming folder.
Joe
JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.