SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

Airfix 1/24 Spitfire Mk.I

10 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
Airfix 1/24 Spitfire Mk.I
Posted by Anonymous on Saturday, April 9, 2005 1:05 PM
Hi guys,

I'm planning to buy the Airfix 1/24 Spitfire Mk.I.
Is it a good kit? Did some of you guys ever maid it, or do you know a good review, please post it for me. Because I've only found one yet....

- Jürgen
Posted by flippersdad on Saturday, April 9, 2005 1:08 PM
Cool [8D] Jurgen, Everything I have heard about the Airfix 1/24 kits is good. I have the Stuka kit and am real pleased with it, but am waiting until I get set up to be able to use an airbrush before I really get going on it.
Cheers,
Eric
A great lie - "I'm from the FAA and I'm here to help." Politics - Many blood sucking insects. Flying - Long periods of boredom puncuated by moments of stark terror.
Posted by Zero Enna on Saturday, April 9, 2005 1:24 PM
Yeah... Airfix kits use to be a little bad... specially in 1/72... but I know that the 1/24 kits are really good... if you search in google for Airfix 1/24 kits, you can find finished kits' pics... they are really nice, and have almost no aftermarket pieces (thy are difficult to get in this scale), for example, here you have a review for the Airfix 1/24 Hawker Hurricane:
http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Fea1/701-800/Fea752_Hurricane_Mustafa/fea752.htm
"Vivir venciendo o morir matando"
Posted by cmtaylor on Saturday, April 9, 2005 2:52 PM
At the risk of putting a dampener on things, I feel I should point out that the Spitfire was one of the Earliest' Superkits', predating the Stuka by at least 10 years. It was Cutting Edge for it's time and certainly can be used as the basis for a really good superdetailing project. Actually, Airfix have added extra parts to build a Spitfire Vb
Gentlemen! You can't fight in here; this is the WAR ROOM!
Posted by murph on Monday, April 11, 2005 5:42 PM
I've never built the 1:24 Spitfire but I have built the 1:24 Bf-109E, Hurricane Mk1 and P-51D...all given to me as gifts. Thank goodness my friends bought them for me because if I had spent the money on those pieces of crap, I'd have been quite perturbed. The quality of the Hurricane is ok. The other two are absolutely brutal.

Personally speaking, I'd spend a few extra dollars and buy the Trumpeter 1:24 Spitfire. A friend built the kit and raved about it. If you're a masochist and invite abuse, buy the Airfix one.

Retired and living the dream!

Posted by Anonymous on Monday, April 11, 2005 8:14 PM
Murph, please take this as respectful disagreement, but I wouldn't be so fast to compliment to the Trumpeter kit. I'm in the midst of building the floatplane version after exhaustive research, but have had to put it on hold yet again while still MORE correction resin parts are cast for it. It is a collection of one inaccuracy after another. And that's forgetting the stuff specific to the floatplane. Just the parts specific to the Spit Vb, which is pretty much everything but the gear being replaced by floats and some modification to the rear fuselage. The kit has the wrong canopy (try fixing that one in 1/24) for the type as well as the wrong windscreen, the wrong prop blades, a seat that doesn't seem to go with any aircraft of the period, let alone a Spitfire. The horizontal stabilizors, which were, of course, sheet metal, are molded in an exaggerated fabric covering (!). The big spade control column comes about up to the pilot's face, the cannon are wrong, though usable, and there is the absence of the cannon firing switch on the spade grip (it's pretty conspicuous in that scale). There's an enormous "step" all the way around the rear fuselage that is virtually impossible to fix without using the resin correction parts.
And the cockpit detail on this 1/24 kit is no better than any good 1/48 scale kit. In many cases it is just downright incorrect, such as the shape of the throttle quadrant and the gear quadrant, also poorly shaped and, though this is getting too picky maybe, the lever is in the gear-up position (this part is not used, obviously, on the float plane, though Trumpeter would have you install it according to the instructions). The framing over the engine is mythical, BTW.
I could go on, but you get the picture. Airfix, in fact, has upgraded their Spit I, though I can't vouch for the newer one being better than the original, having only read reviews saying it is.
There are so many errors with both Trumpeter versions of the Spit Vb that MDC has a whole range of resin correction parts, large and small, for both the land plane and the floatplane versions. It's like I've been going on and on about: Trumpeter has a lot of nerve putting a suggested retail price of 120 bucks on a kit that has flaws that even a casual Spitfire buff would not have made..
So before investing in either the Airfix or the Trumpeter kit, read all the reviews you can find. I've seen a couple of people on the web, who apparently have plenty of disposable income, who bought both kits and combined the correct parts from both to make one accurate Spitfire. But if you are hellbent on making a big Spitfire, the surface detail on the Trumpeter kit is nice and if you can afford to buy all the correction resin, or if you are willing to overlook all the errors, go for it.
I wouldn't go on like some overwrought rivet counter if this wasn't a kit that cost so much, but people deserve better for their money. And I'll never stop shouting that mantra. It's not like the guy down at the LHS is going to let you go through the parts and compare them to a Spitfire reference book before you buy, and the problem with mail order is obvious. I suggest finding a review column in a web site or magazine whose word you trust, and pay attention to what they say before investing. That's not the perfect solution, but it's the best I can think of.
TOM
Posted by Bossman on Monday, April 11, 2005 8:47 PM
Jürgen,

Built it. Loved it.

Had some problems getting the cowling to fit on over the top of the engine - so I had to carve out some of the inside of the "hood" in order to get it to fit. There's a bit of a scratchbuilding project if you're inclined to box in the gear bays as I did - but I enjoyed the challenge - and I think it turned out OK.

Chris
Posted by Anonymous on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 3:05 AM
I've heard that the 1/24 Stuka and Hurricane are the best of the big airfix kits. I've built the big hurricane and it was an excellent kit, even with my level of experience, which can only be called "novice"
Posted by murph on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 9:27 PM
Tom,

No noses out of joint here.

I expressed my opinion regarding my trials and tribulations with the 1:24 Airfix kits that I've had the misfortunes of encountering. Everyone will also note I qualified my comments about the Trumpeter kit by saying that it was my friend's opinion of the kit. I don't have it nor do I plan on buying it. I can't make a subjective comment about the kit, as you have, because I don't have any first hand build experience with it.

Cheers,

Mike

Retired and living the dream!

Posted by Anonymous on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 1:02 AM
Hello - Does any one know if there is a decent large world war II plane that I can build whcih I can hang from a ceiling?. Preferably 1/12 scale even in wood if it is available.
Posted by Anonymous on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 3:03 AM
I built the airfix spit the year it came out, '69 I think, and I was about 11. I recall being dissapointed with the level of detail that wasn't there but the scope to employ a bit of old fashioned modelling is there and it is spitfire shaped. There are so many models and so little time that I limit myself to building only FAA subjects in 1/48, but I am still tempted to build one of these since this is possibly the best documented subject there is and it should be possible to scratch build detail right down to the fitters tea mug. I have seen a magazine article where this bloke took a spit mk1 and added the engine from I think the P51, lenthened the nose and built a mk9.
I shant be doing much modelling for a few months since the season approaches for to spend time with my boat on the Kennet and Avon canal, where the peace is only broken by the RAF frightening the squaddies on Salisbury plain! one day I will combine both hobbies and lay a flight deck on the boat.
JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.