SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

Kubelwagen engine compartment color

3 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
Kubelwagen engine compartment color
Posted by Zero Enna on Sunday, March 5, 2006 3:37 PM
What color to use?... The german red oxide primer... the same as the whole vehicle or maybe natural metal... Another thing: I'm building the Academy 1/72 Kubelwagen... The instruction sheet calls for Dunkelgelb or Panzer Gray for painting it... Can I try another camo?... like a tri- color scheme... or maybe there is another nice camo... Thanks in advance.
"Vivir venciendo o morir matando"
Posted by Anonymous on Sunday, March 5, 2006 4:53 PM
The engine compartment color would have been panzer grey. While some were dunkel gelb in color overall, every reference Ive seen the engine compartment is panzer grey.
There were camo schemes applied in the field, so you would be safe to camo it.
Posted by Kykeon on Sunday, March 5, 2006 4:59 PM

If the base color is Dunkelgelb, the engine compartment is Dunkelgelb, unless this was a field workshop repaint of a Dunkelgrau vehicle, in which case the engine compartment would most likely not be repainted and would be left in it's original color.

Since Kubelwagens served throughout the war, in all theaters of operation, the full range of German color combinations are possible.

I have color photos of kubel engine compartments.

Posted by Anonymous on Monday, March 6, 2006 3:17 PM
The instruction sheet from the 1:48 Tamiya Kubelwagen shows a tri-colour scheme of (Tamiya paint ref #'s) of TS-3 Dark Yellow, XF-61 Dark Green and XF-64 Red Brown used by JG3 in France, June 1944. The plate number shown is WL-244 165 and I believe this indicates it was in use by the Luftwaffe.
JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.