SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

1/72 SH-2F Seasprite (pics)

12 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
1/72 SH-2F Seasprite (pics)
Posted by allan on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 12:31 AM

Here are some pics of my 1/72 Airfix SH-2F Seasprite. Just finished this one last Sunday evening.  The kit decals adhere well and leave almost no silvering, but the printing quality is quite poor, and some are off-register. I should have purchased aftermarket decals for this one.

Comments most welcome!

No bucks, no Buck Rogers

Posted by Anonymous on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 12:54 AM

I really like this model, very very nice work!!!!! What was the kit like??

Will

Posted by Pete11964 on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 1:17 AM

Hello Allan,

This is my first post on this forum.  Very nice build.  I've been looking for the Airfix SH-2F kit for some time.  I was an SH-2F "Kaman Coffin" tactical sensor operator and rescue swimmer in the late 70's to mid-80's in HSL-30, and HSL-34, both homeported at NAS Norfolk, Virginia.  Just a couple of minor points.  The retention assembly and pitch control cranks on the top of the main rotor hub (and the tail rotor) were a medium blue-grey color, as I recall, and the blades required crutches to support them  when folded. In fact, there was no auto blade fold system as found on other Navy helicopters, and the blade folding evolution required several people to accomplish safely.  One person had to be on top of the helo to release the blade folding locks, and at least two people were required to slide the crutch "boots" over the blade tips and then walk the crutch and the blade aft, where it had to be attached to the rear fuselage with pins.  An unsupported folded rotor blade could cause damage to the blade or the retention. Could be a hairy evolution on a badly rolling frigate or destroyer. Otherwise excellent job.....   reminds me of my glory days.  

Warm regards,

Pete

Posted by Anonymous on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 1:20 AM

Sign - Welcome [#welcome] to the forums Pete, its a great place.

Will

Posted by allan on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 4:20 AM

Thanks Will and Pete!

Will,

Surprisingly for an Airfix kit, detail is good. The interior even has details.  But I ended up modifying most of them. The kit has raised panel lines and rivets, so I re-scribed the entire helo.  The kit provides landing gear with molded-on gear doors. Most of the photos Ive seen show that the doors appear to have been removed, so I used a motor tool to sand away the doors. The greatest headache are the sinkmarks and ejector pin marks found on all the wrong places.

Pete,

Many thanks for the inputs! I feel honored to have my kit reviewed by an actual crewmember. Wish I had talked to you before I started work on this helo.  Ive wanted to make crutches for the blades, but the one photo Ive seen with crutches on doesnt give me a good idea of what the entire thing should look like. I think I could still make crutches for this kit. By any chance, do you have pics of the crutches?  Thanks!!

No bucks, no Buck Rogers

Posted by Anonymous on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 4:46 AM

allan wrote:
 The kit has raised panel lines and rivets, so I re-scribed the entire helo. 

Cool, how was the re-scribing, fun??

Will

Posted by Anonymous on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 11:30 AM

Nice build! Thumbs Up [tup] I've got the old Revell 1/48 on my shelf. Being a SAR guy, I'm thinking about converting it to the utility version in a CSAR configuration. The Revell kit just begs for some detailing. Nice thing about living in Pensacola is that the archives at the Naval Aviation Museum are wide open for research and full of pics!

Posted by J.H. Primm on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 4:51 PM

Excellent work!

By the way guys...What do SH-2s, SH/HH-3s, S-61s, HH-52s and CH/UH-46s all have in common?

All are/were powered by variants of the same engines....General Electric T-58 Series...

Just my two cents worth for the day.

Jonathan Primm

Youngsville, LA

Posted by Pete11964 on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 10:36 PM

I looked through my cruisebooks, some old cruise photos, and the Internet, but found no decent pics showing the blade crutches.  If you ever get a chance to get to the USS New Jersey in Camden, NJ, there is a beautifully restored/maintained H-2 (with HSL-33 markings, by the way, with blade crutches)  on the starboard side next to the number 3 turret.

Regards,

Pete

Posted by allan on Thursday, August 17, 2006 1:13 AM

Thanks FltMedic and Jonathan!

Will,

Oh yes, fun.  It was a little eye-straining as I re-scribed even the rivet marks, but I really had a lot of fun.

Pete,

Theres a picture of an SH-2G at the Patuxent River Naval Air Museum website:

http://www.paxmuseum.com/photos/sh2/MVC-015Fb.JPG

This SH-2 has its blades folded and mounted on crutches. Is this the type of crutches used on operational SH-2s? Only problem is, I cant see how the blades rest on the crutches.  Thanks!

No bucks, no Buck Rogers

Posted by Melgyver on Thursday, August 17, 2006 7:42 PM

Looks great!  I wish I could make the Matchbox/Revell kit look that good! 

Clear Left!

Mel

Posted by allan on Friday, August 18, 2006 3:35 AM

Thanks Mel!

No bucks, no Buck Rogers

Posted by Pete11964 on Sunday, August 20, 2006 12:51 PM

Allan,

I've never seen the type of crutches that are used on that Pax River SH-2G.  In fact, they (it) look (s) like some kind of locally fabricated substitute.  The crutches used operationally were far more substantial in construction, consisting of telescoping aluminum tubing for the supports, and plastic and canvas (or nylon fabric) for the "sleeves" that fit over the blade tips. There was one crutch for each blade, and the crutches were designed to be "one size fits all", since the blades are different lengths and at different heights relative to the fuselage when folded. 

Regards,

Pete     

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.