SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

Tamiyas new release - The french connection?

7 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
Tamiyas new release - The french connection?
Posted by bultenibo on Sunday, July 15, 2007 4:54 AM

Found this new kit from Tamiya on e-bay. Seems like the japanese are getting interested in french WWII vehicles, after totally ignoring them for 50 years. With this kit they seems to take up the fight with the smaller eastern European manufacturers, RPM in this case. How will it end?

I for myself think it's a wonderful idea that they broaden the sortiment. Getting a bit tired of the fact that there are one billon options if I want to build a Pz.kfw IV-VI, but that I'm forced spend a month wage on some rare OOP resin kit if I want to build an ordinary french, british, italian or polish WWII tank. Last time I looked they fought in the war too. Wink [;)]

/Tony aka bultenibo

Posted by jadgpanther302 on Sunday, July 15, 2007 6:07 AM
i saw that at my lhs yesterday. thought it was dml. Didnt look too closely. it looks good all the same.
Posted by T26E4 on Sunday, July 15, 2007 12:38 PM
Tony: I concur.  If Tamiya wants to continue with French stuff, that'd be fantastic.  Did you see the Char B1bis that was released last year by them?  One of my more enjoyable builds, surely.

Also don't forget the H39 by Bronco a few years back.

Roy Chow 

Join AMPS!

http://www.amps-armor.org

Posted by bultenibo on Monday, July 16, 2007 7:00 AM

T26E4: I agree, the Char B1 looks great. When it first was relesed I hoped that the kit would generate a lot of dioramas set in France 1940, quite a forgotten topic among the dio modellers, but I have not yet seen any.

The old Souma S-35 kit from Heller (re-released by SK Models, I think) is also a beuty. Unfortunately, the kit is not that good, unless one gives it a lot of work. I tried to build it a couple of months ago, but didn't finish it (trash can). Sad [:(] The mistake I made was that I didn't take the time needed to prepare all the parts. One also have to make good use of putty on that kit. I have another S-35 kit lying around though, and have bought a bunch of update/detail sets - Frimulmodel tracks, Eduard PE, Jordi Rubio barrel and an resin turret from Airedale castings. I'll have a go at this kit in the fall, since I planning a dio, set on the eastern front, depicting a anti-partisan unit. 

Two days ago I was lucky to find the RPM FT-31 - german designation PzKpfw 730(f) - Beutepanzer on e-bay, that I think I will build as a an airfield security tank, in the service of Luftwaffe. The colour of these tanks are unbeliviable! Here's one from the Overloon museum in Holland:

Maybe this could turn out to be a good GB theme - "French tanks in german service"? What do you think?

/Tony aka bultenibo

Posted by Graymodeler on Monday, July 16, 2007 2:58 PM

Tony, I am glad you mentioned the old FT-17. It is really the grand dad of the many WWII tanks. I will take this opportunity to show a tank that I copied from Mr Pete Dodge which featured in the April 2004 issue of FSM.  I still think his looks better.  Pirate [oX)]

Do the best job you can then be proud of your efforts.
Posted by bultenibo on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 9:39 AM

Greymodeler:

Thumbs Up [tup]That's a real beuty. I really like the color of the camo. Is it the RPM kit?

/Tony

Posted by Graymodeler on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 10:04 AM
Tony, it is kit 35006 from RPM.  I also ordered the track plate kit which adds a lot to the look of the model.  Greg
Do the best job you can then be proud of your efforts.
Posted by bultenibo on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 3:03 PM

Greymodeler: Just got a crazy idea:

Since the FT-17 was used by a lot of armed forces (Poland, Brazil, USA, Sweden, Nationalistic China etc) or manufactured in different national variants (T-18 in USSR;  Fiat 3000 in Italy) - why not have a FT-17 Groupbuild? I guess it probably would turn out to be the smallest GB on this forum! LOL

/Tony

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.