SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

Academy MiG-21 PF 1/48 DONE!

23 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
Academy MiG-21 PF 1/48 DONE!
Posted by dupes on Saturday, May 10, 2008 4:11 PM

Finally finished up the Fishbed I've been working on for the "In My Stash 2" GB. It's the Academy kit with an Eduard Zoom PE set thrown in (which was pretty sweet), done in Egyptian AF markings. Went together pretty well for the most part, no major issues. Really love the paint scheme on this one. Wink [;)]

All comments HIGHLY welcomed! Big Smile [:D]

Posted by JMart on Saturday, May 10, 2008 4:27 PM
really really nice dupes! love the unusual markings, great job on the pit, crisp construciton (like the panel shading), all in all a GREAT build! Cheers

Posted by squeakie on Saturday, May 10, 2008 7:00 PM

that has got to be one of the very best paint jobs I've ever seen! And then of course the model is outstanding on top of that.

gary

Posted by rjkplasticmod on Saturday, May 10, 2008 7:07 PM

She's a beauty Dupes.  Well done Thumbs Up [tup].

Regards,  Rick

RICK At My Age, I've Seen It All, Done It All, But I Don't Remember It All...
Posted by ruddratt on Saturday, May 10, 2008 9:06 PM
I've always liked the lines of this bird.....it looks brutish and sleek at the same time. Very nice, dupes! Thumbs Up [tup]

Mike

"We have our own ammunition. It's filled with paint. When we fire it, it makes pretty pictures....scares the hell outta people."

Posted by Von Alfalfa on Saturday, May 10, 2008 9:21 PM

wow! what a beauty you have there.

What can you tell me about this Academy kit? Im planing to get and build some russian fighters for a friend and I was thinking in Academy kits as a option. (I mean cuz they are cheap) :-P

Posted by Wulf on Saturday, May 10, 2008 9:31 PM

Very impressive work there. The finish and cockpit look sharp. Good job....

Andy

Posted by wing_nut on Saturday, May 10, 2008 9:37 PM

Hey, is this the bizzaro world forum? Your posting completed jets, I'm posting completed tanks.Wink [;)]

Excellent Mig dupes.  That is really cool camo.  Turned of out just great.Thumbs Up [tup]Thumbs Up [tup]

Marc  

Posted by dupes on Saturday, May 10, 2008 9:58 PM

Wow, thanks a lot guys! Big Smile [:D] Glad everyone likes it so far!

JMart - thanks about the pit! That Zoom set made it much better. 

Ruddratt - until you build one of these, you don't realize how much it really is just a rocket tube with a seat and some wings strapped on - think that's where the "sleek" comes from!

Squeakie - thank you sir! Bow [bow] I'm really happy with how it turned out... I guess that silly putty isn't just for armor builds anymore. Mischief [:-,]

Alfalfa - this kit really was an easy build. The fit was very solid, with careful glueing you can avoid most all putty-type work. The only thing beef I had at all was the decals - pretty typical Academy, really thick, and despite a LOT of Micro-Sol/Set (long story) I couldn't alleviate silvering entirely. If you could find some AM ones, it would no doubt be a big improvement. I've got their MiG-29 in the stash as well, may have to move that over into the build pile soon. Thumbs Up [tup]

Wingy - I think I alluded to something similar to the "bizarro" forum in your Pz.IV post. Wink [;)] What's the world coming to? I guess we need to switch allegiances or something...Whistling [:-^]

Everybody else - thanks! Cool [8D]

gzt
Posted by gzt on Saturday, May 10, 2008 10:28 PM
ery nicely done !! I like the scheme and the way you painted those light shades. Well done !!!

Flying is a thrill #2 known to mankind. Landing is #1.

http://www.rwd-6.org

Posted by Daywalker on Saturday, May 10, 2008 10:54 PM
Outstanding work there dupes!  Excellent masking, superb finish.  That camo is quite striking, and you really nailed it.  Kudos! Bow [bow]

Frank 

Posted by Anonymous on Saturday, May 10, 2008 11:18 PM
All I can say is "WOW!"...nicely done...I built one a while back in North Vietnamese markings and can attest that the kit is not a "shake and bake"...
Posted by Von Alfalfa on Saturday, May 10, 2008 11:39 PM

Thanks for the advice about this kit... however I think I have not much choice for this subjet, as far I know there's just Academy and Kopro for Mig-21 in 1/48 in the market. And I don't know anything about how's Kopro kit.

Congrats for you Mig21 again... hope when I build mine finish it as beautiful as yours.

Posted by Kolja94 on Sunday, May 11, 2008 1:40 AM
Very nicely done!!

Karl

Posted by leemitcheltree on Sunday, May 11, 2008 4:04 AM
Hey, man....That's a lovely Fishbed....I alwaus did like the Mig-21.  The paint scheme is beautiful...and your general quality of assembly is just excellent...the pics of the 'pit show sharp and extremely clean detail - just lovely to look at.  Next to no weathering...but a wash.....very simple, and very nice to view.
You should be very happy with that - thanks very much for posting the pics, mate.
Makes me want to go out and buy a Fishbed.....

Cheers, LeeTree
Remember, Safety Fast!!!

Posted by mucker on Sunday, May 11, 2008 8:35 AM
That's superb, Dupes. The paint job is awesome, as is the rest of the build.

Posted by dupes on Sunday, May 11, 2008 10:03 AM

Man, you guys are all making me want to build some more exotic-schemed jets. Wink [;)]

Thanks again to everybody for all of the comments! Big Smile [:D]

Manny - do you have any pics of your NV '21? Did they just use Russian colors?

I've got the other MiG-21 (MF) that Academy put out in my stash...debating whether to go with the "standard" Sov markings, or one of the Hungarian or Indian ones that come with the kit. Hmmmm.

As for weathering, I'll confess I don't really know which way to go when it comes to weathering aircraft (beyond a panel wash). Seems to be a fair bit of debate as to how far to go when it comes to wing-ed builds. Any suggestions as to where to go next time around? 

Posted by Anonymous on Sunday, May 11, 2008 2:10 PM
 dupes wrote:

Man, you guys are all making me want to build some more exotic-schemed jets. Wink [;)]

Thanks again to everybody for all of the comments! Big Smile [:D]

Manny - do you have any pics of your NV '21? Did they just use Russian colors?

I've got the other MiG-21 (MF) that Academy put out in my stash...debating whether to go with the "standard" Sov markings, or one of the Hungarian or Indian ones that come with the kit. Hmmmm.

As for weathering, I'll confess I don't really know which way to go when it comes to weathering aircraft (beyond a panel wash). Seems to be a fair bit of debate as to how far to go when it comes to wing-ed builds. Any suggestions as to where to go next time around? 

Dupes, it is in a NMF:

Posted by ruddratt on Sunday, May 11, 2008 4:34 PM
If this thread keeps going the way it's going, you guys are gonna force me to yank my 1/32 Trumpeter kit out of the stash. The problem is I don't have the room to display it!!! Sigh [sigh]

Mike

"We have our own ammunition. It's filled with paint. When we fire it, it makes pretty pictures....scares the hell outta people."

Posted by dupes on Monday, May 12, 2008 6:44 AM

DANG Manny...sweet build! I hadn't even considered a NMF! Shock [:O]

I was thinking of going that route on the MiG-19 I've got kicking around, however. Wink [;)]

Posted by Mark Joyce on Monday, May 12, 2008 8:29 AM

Very nice work Dupes!  Your painting abilities are superb.

Mark

Ignorance is bliss
Posted by SMJmodeler on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 2:09 PM

Mark Joyce:  Hey, SMJ here...don't want to distract from dupes' thread but I've settled in here in NY, be looking for an email real soon!

dupes:  Outstanding work dupes!  I continue to be awed by your cross-genre modeling skills.  That airbrush work is extremely well done for an "armor type"Laugh [(-D].  I know slim-to-none about MiG jets, I just know a fine looking build when I see one.  Hopefully I'll get to see this one in person soon, congrats on another finished buildMake a Toast [#toast]

Posted by philo426 on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 4:15 PM
Nice Mig!I liked that kit alot!Here's mine 
Posted by dupes on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 6:05 PM

Hey fellas, thanks a lot! Big Smile [:D]

SMJ - with Wing_Nut completing his invasion of the Armor side of the forum, I may have to spend some more time over here "cross-pollinating". Wink [;)]

Do you two guys know each other from back in Cali?

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.