SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

Squadron Putty: White or Green?

14 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
Squadron Putty: White or Green?
Posted by bushman32 on Thursday, October 15, 2009 10:15 PM

What is the difference between Squadron's White and Green Putty. Thanks.

Ron W.

Ron Wilkinson

Posted by Woody on Thursday, October 15, 2009 10:20 PM
I've been told the white is smoother but I really can't tell a difference in consistency. I much prefer Dr MicroTool putty but they are out of business so I switched to 3M Acrylic Blue Putty. Great stuff!

" I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way." --John Paul Jones
Posted by bushman32 on Friday, October 16, 2009 10:10 AM

Thanks Woody. Maybe I should try that 3M putty. Do you get that stuff at a home hardware store or hobby shop?

Ron W.

Ron Wilkinson

Posted by Woody on Friday, October 16, 2009 12:35 PM

I buy mine online but autobody supply houses should have it if they carry 3M products. One thing though, the tube is big so you'll be covered for a long time. I squirt mine into a small glass jar and use it from there. The tube is like 22oz!

" I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way." --John Paul Jones
Posted by EdGrune on Monday, October 19, 2009 8:03 AM

Woody wrote:
I've been told the white is smoother but I really can't tell a difference in consistency. I much prefer Dr MicroTool putty but they are out of business so I switched to 3M Acrylic Blue Putty. Great stuff!

If you liked Dr Microtools red putty, check out Bondo Spot Glazing putty from the auto parts store.   Same stuff.  

I don't buy much hobby-branded materials anymore.  I've found that I can buy the same stuff,  in a larger quantity for a lesser price, by shopping in a auto supply shop, hardware store, or beauty supply store.   

Posted by jimbot58 on Wednesday, November 11, 2009 2:27 AM
Do either of those have a longer working time over the Squadron putties? It seems like it's already setting up before I can even spread it in place, and it ends up with the consistancy of dried bread dough....

On my workbench now:

Fujimi F-4K Phantom "Yellow Bird" and Zvezda Su-27SM Flanker

Posted by wjbwjb29 on Wednesday, November 11, 2009 12:07 PM

put any of the puttys in a small jar and add laquer thinner to thin it down. thias gives you alot longer working time.

bill

On the Bench:   Trumperter Tsesarevich on deck Glencoe USS Oregon

Posted by smeagol the vile on Thursday, November 12, 2009 10:47 PM

I definatly find white easier to work with.  Its not smoother, its finer.

I do the laquer thing too, I actuially find that if you add 3 to 1 laquer to putty you can make a great texturing thing, I use it all the time to texture kits, also, it fills small seams alot better.

• From: 41 Degrees 52.4 minutes North; 72 Degrees 7.3 minutes West
Posted by bbrowniii on Thursday, November 12, 2009 11:57 PM
 smeagol the vile wrote:

I definatly find white easier to work with.  Its not smoother, its finer.

I do the laquer thing too, I actuially find that if you add 3 to 1 laquer to putty you can make a great texturing thing, I use it all the time to texture kits, also, it fills small seams alot better.

Couldn't agree with Smeagol more.  I vary the amount of laquer depending on how thin I want my putty.  I actually recently put a tube of Tamiya putty into a babyfood jar and filled it with thinner (probably between 5 and 10 to 1 thinner to putty).  The result is a really nice, thin... ooze, really.  But like Smeag said, it is great for filling tough to reach seams.  I also am using it for a Zimm pattern that I've been wanting to try.

PS I also agree that Squadron white is the way to go.  I was a green man for a long time, but have recently embraced the white!

'All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing' - Edmund Burke (1770 ??)

Posted by smeagol the vile on Friday, November 13, 2009 7:44 AM
I did green for the majority of my time modeling, but when my HLS ran out and I got white... I never went back

Posted by Aaronw on Friday, November 13, 2009 6:53 PM

jimbot58 wrote:
Do either of those have a longer working time over the Squadron putties? It seems like it's already setting up before I can even spread it in place, and it ends up with the consistancy of dried bread dough....

I use the Bondo glazing and spot putty, I find it much easier to work with. I tried the Squadron and Testors putties and it always seemed like they were half dried up coming out of the tube.

The Bondo putty is also about 1/2 the price since you get much more for the same price. 

Posted by Ed Wong on Saturday, January 16, 2010 10:40 PM

I just joined this forum. A couple of weeks ago when my tube of White Squadron putty was almost empty, I was looking to find some place on the web to buy some. Google showed me this forum. I went and looked for the Bondo 'Glazing and Spot Putty', and found it at Wal-mart for $3.29 for a 4.5 oz tube. I have been using it for the past 2 weeks to do my Horizon Iron Man kit "conversion project". I like it a lot better than the green glazing putty I had used, since this Bondo stuff dries a lot faster but is a lot more easier to sand and form. It is also a "usable" substitute for the Squadron White putty, but it doesn't go on as thick as the Squadron can.

thanks, newbie, Ed

My models Galleries are at:

http://wonged.com/models.aspx

Posted by MikeV on Saturday, January 16, 2010 11:24 PM

Don't waste your money on those lousy ones. The best is 3M Acryl-Blue Glazing Putty.

One tube will last you many years if you seal it good.

http://www.rwmallon.com/catalog.asp?prodid=551433&showprevnext=1

Wisdom is the right use of knowledge. To know is not to be wise. Many men know a great deal, and are all the greater fools for it. There is no fool so great a fool as a knowing fool. But to know how to use knowledge is to have wisdom. " Charles Spurgeon
Posted by hkshooter on Sunday, January 17, 2010 8:27 AM

I have used both, couldn't tell the difference between the two but for the color. Squadron should change the lable to indicate what the difference is, if there is one other than color, so folks would know instead of just assuming there's some magical way people will know the difference because of the color difference.

A personal note on the 3M putty. I tried it a number of years ago and didn't like it. I tried the red glazing putty. The stuff dried slower than say, squadron, and it dried much much harder. It took much longer to sand to shape and I lost much more of the surrounding plastic as a result. I may give the blue stuff a try since it comes highly recommened.

Posted by MikeV on Sunday, January 17, 2010 11:35 AM

hkshooter

I may give the blue stuff a try since it comes highly recommened.

Definitely try it Shooter, it is fantastic. Yes

The red you tried is made for filling deeper depressions in automotive applications whereas the blue is for more minor things like deep scratches.

It spreads very smoothly and has a very fine grain plus it is only $15-18 for a huge 21 oz tube.

Wisdom is the right use of knowledge. To know is not to be wise. Many men know a great deal, and are all the greater fools for it. There is no fool so great a fool as a knowing fool. But to know how to use knowledge is to have wisdom. " Charles Spurgeon
JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.