16 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
Full Scale Horten 229 Replica?!?
Posted by benzdoc on Thursday, February 11, 2010 4:37 PM

Does anyone know any more about this:

Horten 229

Geez, that's cool!

Posted by FastasEF on Thursday, February 11, 2010 4:44 PM

Wow, that's pretty cool. Doesn't look airworthy though, I don't see flaps. I clicked on the link but I still want more pictures!

Josh

Posted by Bish on Thursday, February 11, 2010 4:52 PM

That is awsome. I love the head on pic with the german flags behind. And i never knew that a real one still existed. Be nice to see that restored.

One question though. Why was the Amerika Bomber plan 'diabolical'

I am a Norfolk man and i glory in being so

On the bench: Airfix 1/72nd Harrier GR.3/Fujimi 1/72nd Ju 87D-3

Posted by Hans von Hammer on Thursday, February 11, 2010 4:57 PM

Hard to restore a replica...Whistling

I'd bet it's a fiberglass mock-up like the "warbirds" in the hangar deck on the USS Intrepid Museum... A 1:1 scale model airplane..

Posted by Bish on Thursday, February 11, 2010 5:02 PM

Ain't pics 12 and 13 of the real thing, or whats left of it.

Posted by grandadjohn on Thursday, February 11, 2010 5:08 PM

Believe the Smithsonian has one in storage

Posted by Bish on Thursday, February 11, 2010 5:12 PM

Yes, thats what the caption to pics 12 and 13 says, its from the Smithsonian. Only shows pics of the central fuselage section, wings seem to be missing.

Posted by ww2psycho on Thursday, February 11, 2010 5:16 PM

No its not real. I seen a show on it, they were testing if it was really a "stealth" plane. I think Boeing made it out of wood and some other things but used a type of paint that would reflect radar beams as if it were metal. I dont know what they did with it after testing.

Posted by benzdoc on Thursday, February 11, 2010 5:24 PM

I know it wasn't real; but the effort to build the mockup is awesome!

Funny thing about Dr. Sanger's Silverbird; wasn't there someone in Washington named Sanger whose name came up recently? I found that mildly funny... Don't get me wrong - I don't mean anything political about that, only that the name sounded familiar.

Posted by HawkeyeHobbies on Thursday, February 11, 2010 6:44 PM

It was Northrop, the builder of the B-2 which built the full sized replica to perform a radar cross section test to see if the German designers were ahead of their time. It is a composite build, using plywood, fiberglass and metal. It has no engines or controls. It appeared on a National Geographic program last year. It was more hype than substance. It did confirm that though the Horten brothers were good, their aircraft were not invisible to radar...not completely anyway. The primitive radar of the time would have had trouble detecting them but still not completely invisible...its engines were its weak point as they reflect back most of the radiation aimed at them. Had they learned how to "bury" them, it might have been different.

History Channel: Secret Luftwaffe Aircraft of WWII Stealth Bomber

Gerald "Hawkeye" Voigt

http://hawkeyes-squawkbox.com/

"Its not the workbench that makes the model, it is the modeler at the workbench."

Posted by telsono on Friday, February 12, 2010 12:01 PM

It is said that the Horten brothers were disciples of Northrup. You see alot of similarities in their designs and Northrup's work.

Beware the hobby that eats.  - Ben Franklin

Do not fear mistakes. You will know failure. Continue to reach out. - Ben Franklin

The U.S. Constitution  doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it. You have to catch up with it yourself. - Ben Franklin

Posted by B17Pilot on Friday, February 12, 2010 1:16 PM

Bish

Yes, thats what the caption to pics 12 and 13 says, its from the Smithsonian. Only shows pics of the central fuselage section, wings seem to be missing.

The one at the Smithsonian is as far as I know the only surviving one.  The wings where made out of wood so they broke/rotted pretty easy, while the center section was made out of metal to hold the engines and pilot.  Why where the wings made out of wood, because it saved weight, and metal was in short supply late in the war for Germany.

Posted by ww2psycho on Friday, February 12, 2010 2:11 PM

While scrolling through the guide, I found out that the program about it is on the National Geographic Channel Saturday Night at 9pm (your time may vary, I live in Wisconsin).

Posted by M1Carbine on Friday, February 12, 2010 2:58 PM

Nice...Love to have that on a pole outside the frnt of my house.....................LOL

Posted by yardbird78 on Friday, February 12, 2010 3:01 PM

The Northrop engineers and craftsmen went to a LOT of effort to build that replica as true to the original as possible.  It was never intended to fly, but was a test bed to see how "stealthy" it would have been.  As stated above, it was not invisible, but was considerably harder to detect than conventional aircraft of the time.  It would have significantly cut down the warning time for the RAF.

Darwin, O.F.  Alien

The B-52 and me, we have grown old, gray and overweight together.

Posted by armorbaran@gmail.com on Sunday, August 22, 2010 7:54 AM

I remember reading about this bird when I was a young un back in the 60's. but I also remember reading that composits were used because of lack of metal and stealth was secondary. Now my big question is what else northrop may have on their minds? I maybe the next fighter to replace the f117?

Posted by SuppressionFire on Sunday, August 22, 2010 8:35 AM

Seen the documentary regarding the Horten 229. Like many modern technologies of today many were first developed in Germany in the 30's & 40's.

At the end of the program a hypothetical Horten with 6 engines was able to fly across the Atlantic with a nuclear bomb to New York, 1946. 

Excellent program and the full size model was very impressive & accurate.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y211/razordws/GB%20Badges/WMIIIGBsmall.jpg

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.