Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

Top mounted fan spray booth

5 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
Top mounted fan spray booth
Posted by M1 A1 A2 Tanker on Sunday, February 14, 2010 2:51 PM

Hi

Everyone

I am looking a a spray booth redesign to better fit my workshop. Now, I read posting ad nauseam  back in 2007 when I built this one. The wisdom always seem to be that you put the fan on the back (cross draft) or the bottom (down draft), but it was mentioned there was an article in the Dec. 2000 issue of FSM about this, so I found the article and guess what the author mounted his fan on the top! This would be a perfect space saver for me, but I am concerned about doing it, for the reason mentioned here:

http://www.modelersite.com/Abr2003/english/Spray-booth-design_Eng.htm

My current booth is 23" wide (front face), 12" deep and 23" high. I have a Dayton shade pole fan rated at 465 cfm mounted to the back (cross draft).  Here is a picture:

I will likely reduce the current size of the booth for the new one. So what say you about mounting the fan on top?

Thanks

Scott

“Computers are like Old Testament gods; lots of rules and no mercy.”  ~ Joseph Campbell

Posted by Bgrigg on Sunday, February 14, 2010 3:34 PM

I built my spray booth with a top mounted fan, and it works. Sort of.

Certainly not as well as a cross draft or down draft booth. I'm waiting for spring so I can modify it to a down draft (no workshop, only the carport area to work in).

If I was starting over, I would not bother with the top draft design.

So long folks!

Posted by M1 A1 A2 Tanker on Sunday, February 14, 2010 6:15 PM

Hey

Bgrigg

Thanks for the reply. After much hemming and hawing finally went to the wife and asked about getting a Paasche 22" on ebay for $220.00 including shipping. And she said "go ahead"! Although, in the longer wrong it may cost me much more than mere money. Wink

Got a new question I'm about to post though.

Thanks Again

Scott

“Computers are like Old Testament gods; lots of rules and no mercy.”  ~ Joseph Campbell

Posted by MikeV on Sunday, February 14, 2010 6:56 PM

I wonder how the Paasche booths compare to the Pace booths?

Wisdom is the right use of knowledge. To know is not to be wise. Many men know a great deal, and are all the greater fools for it. There is no fool so great a fool as a knowing fool. But to know how to use knowledge is to have wisdom. " Charles Spurgeon
Posted by M1 A1 A2 Tanker on Sunday, February 14, 2010 7:28 PM

Not sure Mike. But they got a lot of good reviews.  And according to Paasche website the booths are made in Chicago. Which is good, I hate cheap foreign stuff.

The only thing that worries me a little is the fan is only 280cfm. But, according to my calculation and because it will be right next to the window I will vent out of, I think that will be fine. I'll let you all know.

See ya

Scott

Posted by Don Stauffer on Tuesday, February 16, 2010 9:03 AM

The location of the filter and direction of draw can be independent of where the fan is. I used to build booths with top mounted fan and filter, but if I didn't change filter soon enough I'd have stuff dropping on model.

My most recent booth has filter in back, with a plenum behind it leading to side mounted fan and hose flange.  With a plenum behind filter you can put fan just about wherever you want it, though it is a bit harder to change filter.

Don Stauffer in Minnesota

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.