SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

The Figure GB of 2010-2011

169 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
The Figure GB of 2010-2011
Posted by Boba Fett on Monday, August 30, 2010 2:55 PM

Welcome Sign to the GB!!! I posted a thread in the figures section asking for interest, and we got it! now down to rules...

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE

Rules:

Size: virtually anything goes. From 1/72nd figs to 1/3rd busts. If you do take 1/72nd or 1/48th though, try to pick either a difficult subject or make several. Quality counts in small scales.

Type: resin, plastic, metal, again, anything goes.

Era: Beginning to detect a pattern here? Anything goes, including fantasy/sci-fi figures. Just keep the admins happy with uh, SELECT types of figures. (Yes, that means you, Manny).

Construction: 1-piece figs are allowed, as well as multi-piece kits. Self-sculpted pieces are also great.

Painting: Take your pick, acrylics, oils, enamels, heck, use latex-based paint if you want to.

Quality: Not trying to make this into some pompous @$$ thing where perfection is demanded, but since figures are almost entirely painting exercises, let’s try to do the best we can. If you do take 1/72nd or 1/48th figs, try to pick either a difficult subject or make several. Quality counts in small scales. If you’re a budding figure-painter, I have this tutorial which should get you on your way to making your first high-grade figure. http://www.4shared.com/document/MlJc5c8O/Aces_Paint_presentation.html

Composition: 1 large-scale figure or 1 bust is perfect, and at least 3 figs of 1/48th and below should be present. Dios/vignettes are acceptable, as long as a figure is the main focus or numerous figures complement the vehicle. Example: (since I’ve been building a Mogadishu MH-60, helis have been an obsession as of late) if you have a black-hawk on the tarmac, try to have pilots, ground-crew, and other personnel walking around. Basically, the more figs the better!

Base: Merely for the sake of the figure, I’d recommend some sort of base/pedestal for your completed figure. Eliminates sheen from oil on the hands, and other contaminants. Plus it looks better.

Time: Open for discussion. Since figures generally are quicker to finish than models (unless you like 1/144th A/C or 1/76 armor) the time slot should also me shorter. Currently the time-frame is 9-months, with extensions to a year possible. Again, this is open for debate.

Badge: Badges? Yeah, you need da stinkin badges!

but host 'em yourself!

Misc.: Crossovers are allowed, partial builds are also accepted as long as there is no paint (primer is allowed) on the fig, or for sculptors, nothing more than roughed-in shapes.

Other concerns:VOICE THEM! If you would like to change/alter/even remove one of the above sections, let me know. If a majority agrees on the edit, then edited it shall be. But the part about female figures is always in effect…

Aside from that, we’re ready to roll! GB starts sept. 10th. or sooner. Maybe labor day is better And now for the roster…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boba Fett: 2 1/6th figs

Star Wars, "Walon Vau and mird" Sculpted 1/6th scale bust/half-figure

Geo-metric 1/6th Lt. Commander Data

Deafpanzer: 1/35th M-24 crewmwmber.

http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/ww137/aleffler/M24%20Chaffee/IMG00396-20110429-2146.jpg

1/16th American GI's

http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/ww137/aleffler/M24%20Chaffee/IMG00426-20110505-2307.jpg

Mad-Modeler: StarToys 1/6 Uruk-Hai.

Total American Patriot:

Bish:

Bexley: 2 54mm figures:

Smart Max's 1/35 Jeremiah Crow

Yedharo's 54mm Virgo

Oddmanrush: 2 Dragon figure sets:1/35th

German Grenadiers in East Prussia 1944,

"Fallen Commrade" Aachen 1945.

MTMARINE04: Dragon figure set: 1/35th

"Windtalkers"

Stikpusher: 54mm US Army SF Son Tay Raider, 1970.

Redraider56: B-17 dio:

B-17 Crew (10)

Ground Crew (3)

Other (about 4)

Mic: S&T 120mmm Panzer grenadier

hedorah59: Aurora monster kit or bust

Konigwolf13: Bio-Booster Armor Guyver vinyl kit.

Tonka: 2 120mm kits:

Lost Battalion "Banana Wars" Marine

Garage kit "China Marine

Last note: I will be on sporadically, not as much as I'd like. But I will check up on this as much as possible. If I go MIA for periods of time, forgive me. if I haven't been around, drop me a PM if you are new and want to enter the GB.

This is the list that has shown interest. You will have to post here to confirm yourself and you must re-state your entry.

Posted by 101stAirborne on Monday, August 30, 2010 4:54 PM

I may sound like an idiot here but what exactly is a group build? What is the purpose of a group build?

Models on the bench:

Too many to count!

Posted by Bexley on Monday, August 30, 2010 5:26 PM

I'm still undecided on my figure. I did narrow it down to two, at least.

Posted by Boba Fett on Monday, August 30, 2010 6:16 PM

@101st airborne:

a GB is a thing where people get together online and build the same subject. It helps out so you can learn new tips, tricks, and have fun. Just pick a subject that follows the rules of the GB and start building! Just keep everyone updated and post a ton of pics, everybody will be happy.

@Bexly,

what are they? maybe the other members can help yo decide.

Posted by Mad-Modeler on Monday, August 30, 2010 6:54 PM

Thx, for the Badge it looks good to me.

Resizing will take 2 seconds for me in Irfanview.

I think I will got with the StarToys 1/6 Uruk-Hai.

Posted by oddmanrush on Monday, August 30, 2010 8:46 PM

I'm confirmed! I'll be joining with 2 Dragon sets. German Grenadiers in East Prussia 1944 and "Fallen Commrade" Aachen 1945. Both in 1/35, containing 4 figures each. Should be a fun build, bring it on.

Jon

My Blog: The Combat Workshop 

Posted by deafpanzer on Monday, August 30, 2010 9:45 PM

YesThanks Boba for having me listed!  Definitely this will be very interesting and I will let you know what I will come up... either 1/16 figure or 1/35 figures on a diomara set. 

You have my vote on the GB badge... brilliant idea! 

Andy

Posted by Bexley on Tuesday, August 31, 2010 12:01 AM

I've got it down to Smart Max's 1/35 Jeremiah Crow:

Or Yedharo's 54mm Virgo:

Posted by stikpusher on Tuesday, August 31, 2010 1:21 AM

I would like to partake on this. I have a white metal figure to do. 54mm US Army SF Son Tay Raider, 1970.

F is for FIRE, That burns down the whole town!

U is for URANIUM... BOMBS!

N is for NO SURVIVORS...

- Plankton

LSM

Posted by Boba Fett on Tuesday, August 31, 2010 8:19 AM

@deafpanzer: I'd recommend the 1/16th figure. They're really fun!

@Bexly: I'd feel more comfortable with the jeremiah Crow fig, but it's up to you.

@stikpusher: Great to have you aboard! you are in!

Posted by MTMARINE04 on Tuesday, August 31, 2010 10:45 AM

Hello All!

I am currently working on German Soldiers Eastern Front in Winter Uniforms. I am also going to do Dragon's Windtalkers 1/35 scale. Kit comes with US Marines and Japanese infantry...and oddly enough Nicholas Cage (not kidding!). Think I am going to do the Marines in a Tarawa type vignette.

There are no desperate situations, just desperate people. Heinz Guderian

Semper Fidelis!

Posted by MTMARINE04 on Tuesday, August 31, 2010 10:47 AM

Oh and here are some figures i just finished the other day. It has been a long while since I painted figures. Thinking about switching to artist oils for the faces and hands.

Semper Fidelis!

Posted by Boba Fett on Tuesday, August 31, 2010 11:29 AM

http://www.4shared.com/document/MlJc5c8O/Aces_Paint_presentation.html

try this. a great tut for oils on figs. 4shared is perfectly safe, I've dl'ed hundreds of files from here myself. no virus yet. Plus this if my account. IT's in pdf. format. oils are great for control. I use them all the time. The trick is layering, and then blending. Plus keep them translucent, the undercoat is always the main tone. Oils are merely tints.

Posted by MTMARINE04 on Tuesday, August 31, 2010 1:51 PM

That's a pretty awesome file. Thanks Boba Fett!

Semper Fidelis!

Posted by Boba Fett on Tuesday, August 31, 2010 2:20 PM

irish3335 found it though. Credit goes to him. But I hope it helps! I also found that using this Method, I paint the burnt sienna, the yellow (I use yellow ochere) and then white on highlights. Then I overcoat with windsor and newton flesh tint. It blends the colors together easily and efficiently. This would work even better on 54mm's because of the blending difficulty.

Posted by redraider56 on Tuesday, August 31, 2010 2:52 PM

I got 15 or so figures I should start soon for my 1/48 B-17 dio if that counts

-Matt

On The Bench: 1/48 HK B-17G "Man-O-War II"

On Deck: 1/48 Tamiya P-38H, 1/48 Revell PV-1

Posted by oddmanrush on Tuesday, August 31, 2010 3:13 PM

15 figures?? Sorry, you must have at least 16 Big Smile Just kidding! But holy crap, I can barely stand doing 8, never mind 15! More power to you sir! And I'd love to see that B-17 dio...

MTMarine and I go waaaaaaaaay back so its good to have you aboard! Love the figures and I applaud your detail in the lapel colors and insignias.

Figures are sort of the bane of my existence. I've not done a figure in over 4 years so this GB will be a good way for me to get back into it. Hopefully.

Jon

Posted by redraider56 on Tuesday, August 31, 2010 3:18 PM

im gonna try to get the whole darn thing done over my christmas break (im a sophomore in college).  its been going on 3 years now and i started with a whole new plane over the summer and now its just needs paint. 

this long time period has allowed me to gather alot of figures and luckily i was able to obtain the Teknics Bomber Crew this summer that had eluded me for so many years

-Matt

Posted by oddmanrush on Tuesday, August 31, 2010 3:33 PM

Sounds like you've got a handful of work going on! I know what its like to try and model through college. I graduated in '07. Didn't slow me down much. Getting married and having two kids did.....But they'll be modeling soon hopefully Whistling so can't complain about that right?

Jon

Posted by redraider56 on Tuesday, August 31, 2010 3:43 PM

hands full? i also gotta fit in my 1/48 P-47 and B-24 for the 8th AF group build and i also wanna get a B-25 and B-26 done before a show in october of '11

-Matt

Posted by oddmanrush on Tuesday, August 31, 2010 3:46 PM

Yeah I hear ya. I'm in this GB as well as the Variable Geometry GB and the Anti-tank GB. I just finished up the No Aftermarket one. I seem to have a problem with joining group builds.......Likewise, I'm also trying to finish up an M60 w/ ERA before AMPS East on Sept. 25th. Good luck with your builds, sir!

Jon

Posted by Bexley on Tuesday, August 31, 2010 3:53 PM

Given that we have a year, maybe I will attempt to do both figures.

Posted by redraider56 on Tuesday, August 31, 2010 4:01 PM

Thanks!

O and here is what I got so far for the figures

B-17 Crew (10)- Pilot (Revell); Co-pilot (Verlinden); Bombardier (Teknics); Navigator (Revell); Top Turret gunner (Teknics); Radio operator (CMK); Ball turret gunner (Teknics); Left and right waist gunners (both Verlinden); Tail gunner (Teknics)

Ground Crew- 3 Revell figures

Extras (base officer or fighter pilot, crew members from another plane)- 1 Verlinden, 1or 2 Teknics, maybe 1 CMK

so I guess its a total of 15-17

-Matt

Posted by stikpusher on Tuesday, August 31, 2010 5:07 PM

Cool! One nice thing about my guy is I wont have to get all bent out of shape over flesh tones... Photos of the Son Tay raiders show faces and hands were camo'd like my Grenada Airborne Ranger I completed last year...

N is for NO SURVIVORS...

- Plankton

LSM

Posted by stikpusher on Tuesday, August 31, 2010 5:34 PM

duplicate post... wish they had a working delete feature here...Angry

N is for NO SURVIVORS...

- Plankton

LSM

Posted by Mad-Modeler on Tuesday, August 31, 2010 5:41 PM

This is the kit I will be doing for the GB:

As it is a soft-vinyl kit it still needs some trimming and filling for stability, not fully assembled yet.

Due to it's size(1/6) it will take some time to be finished.

Posted by Boba Fett on Tuesday, August 31, 2010 5:42 PM

looks great! maybe I should do my 1/6th Commander Data... will update the roster soon!

BTW: sorry to say this, but what is it?

Posted by Mad-Modeler on Tuesday, August 31, 2010 5:45 PM

No problem.

It is an Uruk-Hai Ork from the  "Lord of the Rings" Movies.

Star-Toys released the Uruak-Hai, Saruman, Gandalf and Frodo.

Mic
Posted by Mic on Tuesday, August 31, 2010 10:35 PM

Hey guys, can I join in on this GB? I got a 120mm S&T panzer grenadier that's been kickin' around in the stash for a few years. I've wanted to paint it up.

Steve

Steve M.

On the workbench: every tool, paint, brush, glue I own

Posted by oddmanrush on Tuesday, August 31, 2010 10:35 PM

Looks like there will be some pretty neat builds goin' on here. I've started my guys....

Not much to show, but that's where I'm at. Basically, I'm ready to start painting. I left the arms off of the two figures in order to make painting a little simpler, especially under the arms and arm pit and torso region. Otherwise, the bent arms would be an obstruction. Once the bodies are complete, I'll start painting the heads and weapons. I've never done the German splinter camo so this should be interesting.

Carry on!

Jon

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.