55 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
How about a 1:32 B-17G!!!!
Posted by HawkeyeHobbies on Friday, December 3, 2010 7:16 PM

http://spruebrothers.com/

Latest news release from Wingscale!

Gerald "Hawkeye" Voigt

http://hawkeyes-squawkbox.com/

"Its not the workbench that makes the model, it is the modeler at the workbench."

Posted by MichaelWWIIHistorian on Friday, December 3, 2010 7:32 PM

B-17's are one of my favorite aircraft from WWII, and i would so buy a 32scale in a heart beat, and that one being held looks realy amazingBow DownWowToast

Posted by CallSignOWL on Friday, December 3, 2010 8:04 PM

I would LOVE one of those!!! But the price is unfortunately far out of a poor college kids budget! Crying

OWL

------------------------

Now that I'm here, where am I??

Posted by DoogsATX on Friday, December 3, 2010 8:08 PM

Holy...wow! I'd love one of these but...man...the B-25 is already a stretch. I don't now where I'd put a monster like this. Maybe give it my side of the garage?

On the Bench: 1/32 Trumpeter P-47 | 1/32 Hasegawa Bf 109G | 1/144 Eduard MiG-21MF x2

On Deck:  1/350 HMS Dreadnought

Blog/Completed Builds: doogsmodels.com

Posted by DoogsATX on Friday, December 3, 2010 8:11 PM

Oh man...that surface detail is something to behold...

On the Bench: 1/32 Trumpeter P-47 | 1/32 Hasegawa Bf 109G | 1/144 Eduard MiG-21MF x2

Posted by hutchdh on Friday, December 3, 2010 8:13 PM

Agreed, where does one put this thing?  Detail is tremendous!

Hutch

On the Bench: 1:48 HobbyBoss Ta152-C; 1:48 & 1:72 Hasegawa F-104G NATO Bavaria

In queue: 1:48 Academy F-4B & a TBD Eric Hartmann bird

Recently completed: 1:32 Trumpeter P-51B

Posted by kirk4010 on Friday, December 3, 2010 8:16 PM

This would be my kit Budget for the entire year, but I would snap it up.

Will this stop all the pining for a 1/48 B-17 from Tamiya?

The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving.-Ulysses S. Grant
Posted by DoogsATX on Friday, December 3, 2010 8:28 PM

kirk4010

Nope...

Posted by Wabashwheels on Friday, December 3, 2010 9:59 PM

Is this the $229 model that you all have been talking about?    Rick

Posted by redraider56 on Friday, December 3, 2010 10:06 PM

Surprise

-Matt

On The Bench: 1/48 HK B-17G "Man-O-War II"

On Deck: 1/48 Tamiya P-38H, 1/48 Revell PV-1

Posted by B-17 Guy on Saturday, December 4, 2010 1:10 AM

DoogsATX

kirk4010:

Nope...

Damn!, ya beat me to it!!!!!

As far as the surface detail is concerned, I'm gonna shock some of you, but I dont like it. Recessed panel lines are no good on a B-17. And the rivet detail is over the top. I know, I know, they may fix that stuff, but I hope they also fix the backwards props on the starboard side. I still want a new 48th kit, this is just too damned big. BUT I love it for the fact of how much attention it's already drawing to the B-17.

Posted by redraider56 on Saturday, December 4, 2010 1:44 AM

I was just about to say something bout the rivets, ya beat me B-17Guy.  It's almost as if someone from Trumpeter was in charge of that....

-Matt

On The Bench: 1/48 HK B-17G "Man-O-War II"

On Deck: 1/48 Tamiya P-38H, 1/48 Revell PV-1

Posted by Persephones_Dream on Saturday, December 4, 2010 2:31 AM

All these years I would have sworn the band would make go bankrupt. Not so! I am SO there for this 1/32 B-17!!!! This on top of the 1/32 B-25, P-61 and B-26?? OMG! YES!!!

Posted by Persephones_Dream on Saturday, December 4, 2010 2:33 AM

and......given the releases they are working on for 1/32 scale...can a B-24 be far behind??! OH YEAH!

Posted by kermit on Saturday, December 4, 2010 4:10 AM

Indifferent

iwantitiwantitiwantitiwantitiwantitiwantitiwantit!!!!Eats

Expensive.....check

Too big for my mancave......check

Probably end up in a divorce......check

Likely have to enlarge your work area just to handle it while building......check

.........but still.....

Yup.... I definately want itPropeller

Richard

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill

Posted by Bish on Saturday, December 4, 2010 4:23 AM

Does look very impressive, though it won't be on my shopping list. When it come to B-17's, i'll stick to 1/72nd. The largest kit i plan on getting in this scale is the Revell Ju 88. But nice to see some more kits coming out in this scale.

I am a Norfolk man and i glory in being so

On the bench: Airfix 1/72nd Harrier GR.3/Fujimi 1/72nd Ju 87D-3

Posted by HawkeyeHobbies on Saturday, December 4, 2010 8:38 AM

The wing span on this is about the same as a Revell 1:72 B-52 and their 1:48 B-1B is of similar size.

Gerald "Hawkeye" Voigt

"Its not the workbench that makes the model, it is the modeler at the workbench."

Posted by Bomber Boy on Saturday, December 4, 2010 9:02 AM

I think I just Poooooooohed my pants!!! Gotta git that woman!!!!

James

James Herndon II __-_-_/"\_-_-__

Endicott ,Va

beandawgartworks.com

Posted by Hans von Hammer on Saturday, December 4, 2010 9:42 AM

Might look into that one, IF they fix the "counter-rotating engines", panel lines and those ridiculous rivets... If not, fuhgeddaboud it...

Posted by ps1scw on Saturday, December 4, 2010 11:24 AM

...need some "Yankee Lady" decals for her...

Posted by jschlechty on Saturday, December 4, 2010 12:17 PM

I've never completed my1/48 B-17 due to lack of display space for one that large.  Although I'd love to have one, I'll just look forward to viewing them at upcoming model shows and displays and stick to 1/48  fighters, and 1/72 bombers for now.

Posted by fermis on Saturday, December 4, 2010 1:56 PM

ps1scw

...need some "Yankee Lady" decals for her...

Ditto My first thought. I'd love to build it (yeah, I'd even actually pay for it!!!) and donate it to the musuem, whenever that opens back up. I'd also like to do the 25 in Yankee Warrior mkngs to donate. Kind of a "give back" for my FREE rides on both planes!

Posted by fermis on Saturday, December 4, 2010 1:58 PM

kermit

Indifferent

iwantitiwantitiwantitiwantitiwantitiwantitiwantit!!!!Eats

Expensive.....check

Too big for my mancave......check

***Probably end up in a divorce......check***

Likely have to enlarge your work area just to handle it while building......check

.........but still.....

Yup.... I definately want itPropeller

Richard

On a positive note.... the "mancave" becomes "MANHOUSE" and you have all the space you need!!!!

Posted by HawkeyeHobbies on Saturday, December 4, 2010 2:03 PM

Amazes how much criticism this prototype of a scale model gets...this is the first design mock up not the production kit.

Yes the props are wrong, but they were used to illustrate their size and give the aircraft more definition.

If the rivet details were raised, there would be even more complaints about that...recessed panel lined kits out sell those that aren't...basic business economics.

Every one has the same opportunity to bring a product to market. Many have been asking for such a kit, yet one stepped forward to bring one into reality.  Applaud the effort...if it can be done better, step up and show us all how it can be done. In the free enterprise system if you have a better product at a competitive price, you'll own the market.

Is anything perfect? We all spend money on things that are clearly over priced...that is something that will never change.

Gerald "Hawkeye" Voigt

Posted by Sparrowhyperion on Saturday, December 4, 2010 2:13 PM

By the time I could save up enough to get this kit, it would be OOP and ten times as expensive...  So I am afraid it is yet another on my "I'll have to pass on it" list.  I wonder if they will ever do a B-36.  You would need a garage to fit it in.

In the Hangar: 1/48 Hobby Boss F/A-18D RAAF Hornet,

On the Tarmac:  F4U-1D RNZAF Corsair 1/48 Scale.

Posted by B17Pilot on Saturday, December 4, 2010 2:32 PM

I will definitely be getting one of these!! Hopefully they will address some issues of the prototype, but still I will get one regardless.  Eats

Still not all that acturate with the recessed panel lines, but oh well.

Posted by Persephones_Dream on Saturday, December 4, 2010 4:29 PM

HawkeyeHobbies

Amazes how much criticism this prototype of a scale model gets...this is the first design mock up not the production kit.

Yes the props are wrong, but they were used to illustrate their size and give the aircraft more definition.

If the rivet details were raised, there would be even more complaints about that...recessed panel lined kits out sell those that aren't...basic business economics.

Every one has the same opportunity to bring a product to market. Many have been asking for such a kit, yet one stepped forward to bring one into reality.  Applaud the effort...if it can be done better, step up and show us all how it can be done. In the free enterprise system if you have a better product at a competitive price, you'll own the market.

Is anything perfect? We all spend money on things that are clearly over priced...that is something that will never change.

Hawkeye,

Amen!

I am always amazed at such complaints. I am just totally glad someone is putting the time and effort - not to mention expense - into creating 1/32 scale kits like this! So far, I am already buying at least one of almost everything Wingscale has announced that is coming up - B-25, B-26, B-17 and P-61 will be in my collection for sure! I am hoping they are also thinking about a B-24. It would be logical based on their selections so far :)

-Ro

Posted by Wingman_kz on Sunday, December 5, 2010 3:26 AM

I commented on this plane in the B-25 thread before I saw this thread. I'm glad the release is a ways off so hopefully it will give me time to save for it. I have no where to display it but will absolutely have to build one. This is awesome.

After seeing this mentioned in the other thread I followed and read a bunch of links about it. If you look around you'll find several comments from the folks at WingScale that address the details, rivets and such. The pics you may or may not have seen are of a handmade prototype. Have faith.

Tony

Posted by deattilio on Sunday, December 5, 2010 10:22 AM

Far too massive, physically and financially, for my humble hobby skills, but no less holy-freakin cow wow.

WIP:
Trying to get my hobby stuff sorted - just moved and still unpacking.

"Gator, Green Catskill....Charlie On Time"

Posted by Hans von Hammer on Sunday, December 5, 2010 11:25 AM

HawkeyeHobbies

Amazes how much criticism this prototype of a scale model gets...

No different than the criticism of the old kits...  Welcome to MY world, lol...  I gotta defend them all the time from those that can't handle raised panel lines (even when they represent over-lapping panels much closer than inaccurate, recessed, and in "made up at times" locations...Bang Head  And THAT'S what was on a B-17 in most places.) And I won't even start on panel lines that "magically appear" where there should be no panel joints in the FIRST place, just a double-row of rivets on stressed-skin panels...

Then the "kitpickers" out there need to quit b*tching about "accuracy", because it's obviously not an issue, yet they're folks on this forum all the time moaning about accuracy... Because they obviously don't know what they're talking about then...  If that's their criteria, then I'd like to see them defend it after an "accuracy" issue comes up about a kit's raised ones...  I mean, let's face it... Most folks don't get up close and personal to these birds anytime in their life (no fault of theirs though), stuck on the "civilian side" side of a rope run around a parked Warbird, lol.....  

There are those, like me, and the guys who've served on/around Military Aircraft (like you) that get into and on the Warbirds, which I've had the opportunity and luck  to do with about every CAF aircraft there is...  But the majority are stuck with guessing about it and straining their eyes on a photograph or video to find out, rather than actually having run their hands along a fuselage, wing, or prop blade...  And yet, they go with whatever cockamamee"authority" there is about panel lines and rivets, and swear up and down that this particular area is "Inaccurate" or "wrong"... 

Even the manufactures don't get it "right" with many of them having lousy Research Departments.. I've even read of kits being designed  from drawings and pictures of fiberglass mock-ups, fer cryin' out loud...

"Applaud the Effort", eh? For the asking price, it  had better be more than a "nice try" don't ya think, Hawk? P.T. Barmun was right...

Not "All of us" are sucked in by marketing tricks, Hawk...   I said earlier that I'd buy it if they fixed the areas that needed it, and not until... But for that kind of money, "Close enough" ain't good enough...

Anyway, you got your gig, I got mine, Hawk... My standards are lower in some places, higher in others, same as yours, they just seldom "overlap"  Wink get it? Overlap? Cuz we're talking about panels and some panels should overlap? Get it?Wink)

But the bottom lines for me is this: Think of the diorama possibilites with the availablilty of 1/35th figures! They're close enough to 1/32nd and WW2 tanker CVC helnets work as a good flight-helmet base for conversion!  Man, That'd be a museum-quality dio for me to build!  But anything over that price, nope... Gotta pass, and that bothers me too.. As is, I'd offer 60.00, maybe even 80.00 bucks for it, tops, and that's only because the scale is one I'd I'd love to do a "Home ona Wing and a Prayer" Fort in...  But then, I'd have to buy two,  to do a rewuired (for me) "Before/After" dio as well...

But, P.T. Barnum neer met me...Toast

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.