SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

M42 Duster

10 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
M42 Duster
Posted by Tank Jockey on Thursday, January 20, 2011 12:32 AM

Hello All; its been a while since I posted on Fine Scale.

Anyway, was curious about 1/35 scale models of the M42 Duster AA Track? I know Tamiya makes one which seems to be hard to find along with their M60A3 (the first tank I served on when I joined the Army). Seems like the really cool tanks which Tamiya makes are the ones they like to discontinue. With that said, I think Matchbox made an M42 Duster in 1/32 scale perhaps??? I was curious if they still do and is it worth getting one as opposed to the Tamiya one?

Ironically, there was a Florida National Guard Duster unit in my hometown back in the 60s. They would always bring their M42 out for Shriner parades and as a display at our annual local fair which always fascinated me. This is why I think I got hooked on armor at an early age and ended up becoming a Tanker.

I'd love to make a diorama of the Florida National Guard Armory from the 60s / my hometown with that M42 sitting proudly out front of it.Toast

Joseph

Posted by Phil_H on Thursday, January 20, 2011 12:49 AM

I beleive the Tamiya kit is the only  styrene kti of the M42 in any scale. If I recall correctly, it was repopped for a brief run within the last 12 months, so it may be easier to obtain than in previous years.

AFV Club has been hinting at one (and assigned a kit number for it) for many years, but don't hold your breath waiting.

Posted by Jon_a_its on Thursday, January 20, 2011 5:29 AM

Avoid the Matchbox one, It's a re-pop of an old '50's kit, possibly Renwal or similar, unless you really like the nostalgia trip. Wink

The Tamiya M42 can be made into a nice kit, several builds have been blogged, here & elsewhere, Google is your friend.

If enough people build it, maybe AFV club will release it?

East Mids Model Club 32nd Annual Show 2nd April 2023

http://www.eastmidsmodelclub.co.uk/

Don't feed the CM!

Posted by Rob Gronovius on Thursday, January 20, 2011 7:14 AM

Jon_a_its

Avoid the Matchbox one, It's a re-pop of an old '50's kit, possibly Renwal or similar, unless you really like the nostalgia trip. 

This is correct, the Matchbox M42 is the original 1/32 scale Renwal kit. The molds are owned by Revell and the kit has been released under the Revell name as well (Twin 40). Both reissues omit the suspension tension springs included in the original Renwal kit. The Renwal kits were quite high-tech for their time, with working spring loaded suspension, a feature shared with their M41 Walker Bulldog.

The only other scale kit (besides Roco 1:87 scale ones) was the 1/40 scale UPC M42 "Flak Wagon". UPC was a company that bought or used other companies' molds. They released several of Adams' 1/40 armor kits, so this M42 may have been an Adams kit originally, but I never found any mention of a 1/40 scale M42 by Adams, so I'm not sure of the origins.

Posted by cwalker3 on Thursday, January 20, 2011 4:54 PM

Is this what you're looking for?

http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=170422&page=1

Cary

Posted by fificat on Thursday, January 20, 2011 6:15 PM

Yep, this is me.  $15 for the model--with the plastic coverings on the parts on the sprues removed.  USPS shipping for the actual cost of shipping.

Posted by Tank Jockey on Thursday, January 20, 2011 10:50 PM

I'm not sure if you are replying to me directly but is that price for a Tamiya M42? If so and the message was meant for me I'd be interested in one. I'm also curious if there is any after market barrels for M42s floating around out there? I just invested in some after market pieces for my Italeri M60 kit that includes a metal barrel for the M60A3 and a set of movable track links (when assembled).

Joseph

Posted by fificat on Friday, January 21, 2011 9:53 AM

I know nothing about after market barrels.  If you are interested in buying this, email me at fifi at cncnet dot com.  I will check with USPS about mailing cost.  All parts are in the kit, but the cellophane covering of the parts and their sprues have been removed.

Posted by Rob Gronovius on Friday, January 21, 2011 12:40 PM

Barrel Depot makes a 40mm Bofors gun tube, but it has the older style funnel-shaped end. There is an Eduard PE set that details out the flash suppressor of the gun tube.

Posted by Pawel on Saturday, January 22, 2011 6:27 PM

Howdy!

You might want to check my web page out. On this page I show the progress of updating a Tamiya's M42. Lot's of work I tell ya... Thanks for looking, have a nice day

Paweł

All comments and critique welcomed. Thanks for your honest opinions!

www.vietnam.net.pl

Posted by Tank Jockey on Saturday, January 22, 2011 9:22 PM

Fantastic Work plus Very Realistic!

As mentioned in my original post, there used to be a Florida National Guard M42 Unit in my home town that would frequently roll one down the street for parades or have one on display at our county fairs. Looks like the Real Thing to me; Great work! Cool

Joseph

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.