SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

1/32 X15-A-2 with Drop Tanks

8 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
Neb
1/32 X15-A-2 with Drop Tanks
Posted by Neb on Monday, April 4, 2011 7:37 AM

My old thread musta went the way of the DoDo bird.Big Smile Here's some new pics of my X15 build.It won Gold at IPMS Region 4 in Pittsburgh last week. It also won best USAF aircraft, and The James Irwin award for best Real Space subject. Enjoy!

Posted by mallagoodee on Tuesday, April 5, 2011 5:40 AM

Very nicely done Neb!

Is it built right out of the box or are there any aftermarket items?

The lines on the drop tanks ... look like brass? Are they? They're great!

Have you posted any WIP pix online?

The finish looks just about perfect! Well done!

Pete

Posted by Buckeye on Tuesday, April 5, 2011 6:26 AM

That is just awesome.Bow Down

Neb
Posted by Neb on Tuesday, April 5, 2011 11:20 AM

Mostly OOB----I replaced the kit tank lines with piano wire. The kit lines were like soft solder---all wonky and bent. The interior of the canopy is scratchbuilt as Special Hobby chose not to do anything with it. I also added a lot of missing detail to the cockpit and ejection seat.

I was lucky enough to spend a couple hours with the X15 at Air Force Museum in Dayton, and the first thing that struck me when I first looked at it was that she is anything but Black. I also worked with Inconel-X where I work and had the perfect color palette to what happens when it's exposed to high heat.Wink  It's very similiar to "gun-bluing" slanting toward black and even silvers slightly at any stress/attachment point.

I was determined that I wasn't going to make a black X15 as is so common.

If you're wondering---I didn't weather the drop tanks on purpose. These were basically disposable or reusable after they were ejected, and were rehabbed and always a fresh coat of paint ---or no paint at all. So typically they always looked clean.

I've got some build pics around somewhere----I'll dig them up and get them posted.

Posted by Buckeye on Tuesday, April 5, 2011 11:24 AM

The weathering is fantastic.  Isn't it great living so close to the Air Force museum?

Posted by spadx111 on Tuesday, April 5, 2011 12:31 PM

Bow DownYesToast very nicely done .

Ron

Posted by Phillip1 on Monday, April 11, 2011 5:19 PM

This is a really good modeling job.  The Special Hobby kits can be difficult to work with.  Congratulations.

Phillip1

Neb
Posted by Neb on Monday, April 11, 2011 7:52 PM

Thanks Phillip---and you are oh so right in that the Special Hobby kits aren't for the faint of heart! Crying

These kits aren't made to be built, but are meant to be conquered. Luckily, it's my favorite aircraft and I  refused to give up on it. The results were worth it to me.  Wink

Posted by TREYZX10R on Monday, April 11, 2011 9:10 PM

Absolutely stunning!

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.