SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

No More Excuses GB: Part Deux. Closed to New Entries But Finish What You Signed Up For

690 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
No More Excuses GB: Part Deux. Closed to New Entries But Finish What You Signed Up For
Posted by macattack80 on Saturday, October 1, 2011 4:12 PM

Welcome to the No More Excuses Group Build: Part 2! 

This Group Build is based on Wyoguy's Group Build from a few years ago with a few changes.  The basis for this Group Build is to finish up the Shelf Queens.

There are plenty of excuses out there on why we don't start or finish projects.  "I ran out of time", "I never built a tank before, I don't know where to start", "I don't like creating ground work", yadda yadda yadda. 

In here, there are No More Excuses!  Let's finish some stuff.

I had the same number of requests for a November start date as I did for a January start date so I split the difference and went with December.  You can enter at any time from now until 12/30/12.

As with all Group Builds there are few rules regarding what projects are allowed.

1) Have fun!

2) Any build that has been started then put away - the "shelf queen" - is in.

3) Anything that wasn't finished for another Group Build will be allowed too - started or not.

4) You can finish a project with a diorama/vignette if the model itself is already completed.

5) You can build a model in a different genre than you are used to.

6) Anything you were planning to overhaul or rebuild is allowed.

7) Any subject in any scale is welcome. 

If you wish to join just post what you plan on finishing and, of course, your excuse.  Be sure to post WIP photos and before and after pics if necessary.

I hope we all clear up our workbenches, finish some models, share and learn new techniques.

Here is the badge in 2 sizes.  Thanks to the real red baron.  If you want to create another badge you are welcome to.  I will add it here so everyone has a few different badges from which to choose. 

So, with all that said......WHAT'S YOUR EXCUSE?!

Kevin

[

Posted by macattack80 on Saturday, October 1, 2011 4:12 PM

The roster and completed builds:

the real red baron: Shelf Queen/Overhaul: 1/72 Arifix Bristol Blenheim

Stikpusher: Group Builds: 1/48 Testors RF-4, 1/35 Dragon T-26, Tamiya M113 (completed), Esci 1/35 Tiran 5 (completed)

Screaminhelo: Shelf Queen: 1/32 Matchbox Sea Venom

CallSignOwl:  New Genre: 1/35 Italeri M41 Walker Bulldog (completed), 1/72 Italeri MH-47E SOA Chinook or RAH-66 Comanche

68GT: Shelf Queens: 1/72 Monogram EF-111A (completed), RF-4E Conversion, Italeri 1/72 F-4G, 1/72 Hasegawa P-3C, 1/35 Italeri M108, Matchbox Mig-21 (completed)

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/Scode68/Models/Finished%20Models/1061.jpg

Bufflehead: Shelf Queens: Coree Pz. IV Ausf A., Tamiya Pz. IV Ausf H, Tamiya M4A3, (completed) Dragon King Tiger

bbrowniii: Shelf Queens: Tamiya PaK 40, DML PaK 40, IL-2M Sturmovik, 1/35 Dragon Early Jagdpanzer, Marder 1A2 Schutzenpanzer w/scratchbuilt interior.

Thunderbolt379: Shelf Queen: Tamiya 1:48 Gloster Meteor F.3 (completed), 1:35 Zvezda T-72

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn48/MikeTheModeller/Tamiya%20Meteor/DSCF3826a.jpg

Bish: Dioramas: 1/35 Italeri Ostwind

waynec: Shelf Queens: 1/72 HobbyBoss BR-52 Locomotive (completed), 1/72 Hasegawa K-5 RR Gun (completed), 1/35 Italeri MAS (completed), Tamiya 1/35 M-42 Duster (completed)

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/waynec_kits/waynec%20railroad%20locomotive%20models/HOBBYBOSS%201-72%20BR-52/BR52GROUNDEYELEFTFRONT.jpg

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/waynec_kits/MAS/MASFINISHEDINCASE.jpg

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/waynec_kits/waynec%20railroad%20locomotive%20models/hasagawa%20k-5%20railroad%20gun/K5FINISHEDSIDELEFT.jpg

Vonryan: Shelf Queens/GB: Armor

Bsyamato: Shelf Queen: Italeri EB-66 (completed), Smer MS-406

bobbaily:

AndyT: New Genre: Armor: 1/35 Tamiya M4 Early Production

Mobious: Group Builds:  1/35 Tamiya Stug III Early

dostacos: Group Builds: 1/48 Tamiya Stug III Ausf. B and 1/48 Tamiya Half Track

Lewbud: Group Builds: Mi-24

OctaneOrange: Shelf Queens: 1/25 1977 Ford Thunderbird

ruddratt: Group Build: 1/72 Dragon MA3E8, DML 1/48 SPAD XIII

Centhot: Shelf Queens:  Airfix 1/72 Gnat (old mold), Airfix 1/48 Mosquito, Revell 1/72 Merkava III, Revell 1/72 Fokker Eindeckker

Kugai: Shelf Queens:

JMart: Group Builds: 1/48 Revell P-51D

Archangel Shooter: Shelf Queen: 1/32 Hobby Craft F-105 Thunderchief

Christian Theodotou: Shelf Queen: 1/48 Kinetic EA-6B Prowler

eatthis: Shelf Queens: 2 1/48 TSR-2's (completed), 1/32 Tornado GR1

dupes: Shelf Queens: 1/48 Monogram F-102, 1/48 Revell EA-6A, 1/35 Academy M4A2, 1/35 AFV Club M3A3 Flak Conversion.  Group Builds: 1/35 Trumpeter Sturer Emil.

Sub Revolution: New genre: Auto - 1/24 Revell 2006 Chevy Monte Carlo NASCAR (completed) Ships: 1/700 Hasegawa USS South Dakota

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7087/7179178146_a40276e3d9.jpg

potchip: Shelf Queen: 1/72 Dragon Ka-50

simpilot34: Shelf Queens: 1/72 Italeri F4U-4B, 1/72 Academy FW-190A-8, 1/72 Hasegawa Kawanishi E7K1 Alf, 1/48 Airfix Buccaneer, 1/72 Heller DC-6B to DC-6 firebomber 'Tanker 68'

corvettemike: Shelf Queen: 1/35 M2A2, 1/24 AMT Dodge Coronet Super Bee

DJinFlorida: Shelf Queen: Revell F-4U4 (completed)

taxtp: Shelf Queens: 1/48 Tamiya Panther, (completed) 2 1/200 Hasegawa 727-200's (completed)

Theuns, Shelf Queen: 1/72 Italeri Hudson (completed)

Me: Group Builds: 1/48 F-14D from Swing Wing GB.

Kevin

[

Posted by bsyamato on Saturday, October 1, 2011 6:50 PM

here i am Snail

Posted by macattack80 on Saturday, October 1, 2011 7:01 PM

Welcome Sign

Kevin

[

Posted by CallSignOWL on Saturday, October 1, 2011 7:46 PM

hey macattack, not meaning to be nit-picky, but  I haven't decided which chopper Im gonna build yet!

------------------------

Now that I'm here, where am I??

Posted by bufflehead on Saturday, October 1, 2011 7:47 PM

Heya! Here are the shelf queens I want to enter into this GB.  Photos are of the latest stage of build:

Coree Pz. IV Ausf A. (started 2009) -  Need to finish painting and weathering and do the tracks.

Tamiya Pz. IV Ausf H (started 2006)  -  Need to fix some broken parts, complete the schurzen and then paint and weather

Tamiya M4A3 Sherman (started 2008) - Need to finish painting and weathering and do the tracks

Dragon King Tiger (started 2007) - Need to finish assembly and all the other stuff!!

Yeah, I know its a bit to do, but a couple of these are nearing completion and the others are mostly built!  If I could finish all of these next year that would make me a happy camper!! Big Smile

As for my excuse........uh, "The dog ate my instructions?"

Thanks for recreating the GB Kevin!!Yes

Ernest

Last Armor Build - 1/35 Dragon M-26A1, 1/35 Emhar Mk.IV Female

Last Aircraft Builds - Hobby Boss 1/72 F4F Wildcat & FW-190A8

Posted by macattack80 on Saturday, October 1, 2011 7:58 PM

CallSignOWL

hey macattack, not meaning to be nit-picky, but  I haven't decided which chopper Im gonna build yet!

No biggie.  I will change the "and" to an "or"

Kevin

[

Posted by macattack80 on Saturday, October 1, 2011 8:08 PM

bufflehead, I will update the roster with your builds.  Those tanks look quite nice.  Can't wait to see them finished. 

I am happy to get the GB going.  Glad you decided to sign up.

Kevin

[

Posted by Thunderbolt379 on Saturday, October 1, 2011 9:09 PM

Glad to be aboard -- I'll post a pic of my Zvezda T-72 shortly. I started it at least five years ago, it could be more like eight. Zvezda's plastic is somewhat brittle and does not react very enthusiastically to CA glue, so the link and length tracks are a definite non-starter. It's taken me a long time to commit to buying a set of Tamiya vinyls to get the project finished, but I know where to order them now. It'll be an acrylic paintjob, Tamiya and MM Acryls used as appropriate.

Cheers, Mike/TB379

http://worldinminiature.blogspot.com/

Posted by the real red baron on Saturday, October 1, 2011 9:22 PM

Here are the pics of my Bristol Blenhiem, this was my second kit ever.

what do i need to do?? well i need to sand all of the paint off the bottom, put new decals on, finish painting the model and somehow fix the canopy?

It's actually more like a complete overhall !!!

Posted by CallSignOWL on Saturday, October 1, 2011 9:42 PM

shoot, RRB. I'd just throw that thing out! Its not like you could salvage it for parts; Airfix is kinda cruddy in that regard...  Surprise

------------------------

Now that I'm here, where am I??

Posted by macattack80 on Saturday, October 1, 2011 9:49 PM

Thanks for checking in guys.

Baron, Intead of sanding I would just strip off the paint.  That way you could save the details.   Maybe get new canopies?

Kevin

[

Posted by the real red baron on Saturday, October 1, 2011 10:02 PM

nah, im not going to throw it out, im not going to waste too much resources on it.

i might try and find a new canopy...

Posted by AndyT on Saturday, October 1, 2011 10:10 PM

While I don't currently have any shelf queens. I'd like to try a tank over the next year. Never done armor before. I'm an aircraft guy. I'd love some suggestions on a kit to do.

Andy
Imagination is Froever.

Posted by macattack80 on Saturday, October 1, 2011 10:16 PM

AndyT

While I don't currently have any shelf queens. I'd like to try a tank over the next year. Never done armor before. I'm an aircraft guy. I'd love some suggestions on a kit to do.

Sounds good AndyT!  Glad to have you aboard.  I will add you to the roster.  I can't be too much help in selecting an armor kit as I have only done 1.3 armor models.

Kevin

[

Posted by Bish on Sunday, October 2, 2011 4:57 AM

Given the run time on this, i hope to be able to complete several Dio's, but i will just enter one at a time. My first will be the 1/35th Italeri Ostwind that i built for the 1,000 road wheels GB a couple of years ago.

I am a Norfolk man and i glory in being so

On the bench: Airfix 1/72nd Harrier GR.3/Fujimi 1/72nd Ju 87D-3

Posted by vonryan on Sunday, October 2, 2011 8:06 AM

well here's my pickins. i NEED to get these done. at least one of them would be great.  i  have other GB i'm in on other sites so here we go.

Posted by 68GT on Sunday, October 2, 2011 8:17 AM

I have a 1/72 Monogram EF-111A that I need to finish.  I have the cockpit done, airframe primed and pre-shaded but that all I did.

I have a 1/48 Testors/Italeria RF-4C that I was converting over to a RF-4E and this is as far as I got.

A Testors/Italeria 1/72 F-4G that only got this far.

A Hasegawa 1/72 P-3C that was close but the decals got messed up and the I gave up.

I also have the Testors/Italeria M108 listed in my signature that I can't remember when I started but hasn't been touched in almost a year.  I'm sure there is more around but these are the only ones I have pictures of at the moment.

On Ed's bench, ???

Posted by Bish on Sunday, October 2, 2011 8:52 AM

68, i am looking forward to seeing what you do with that 111. I started the same kit many years ago but then when i went back to it a couple of parts were missing. So now its sat in a box to be used for spare parts an di have the Hase kit in the stash to build instead. So will be nice to see what you make of it.

I am a Norfolk man and i glory in being so

On the bench: Airfix 1/72nd Harrier GR.3/Fujimi 1/72nd Ju 87D-3

Posted by Screaminhelo on Sunday, October 2, 2011 9:46 AM

Not much to show here right now, the Venom is at the house and these two are the only ones that I have access to until I get home in Nov.  There really isn't much more than this worth showing though.  The fuse is together along with the wings and the tail booms.  My big focus on this one was to exercise my scratch building skills a bit on the pit.  I'll put up a few more just before the build starts.

If it helps anyone to get over their fear of helos, I can definitely help out with H-60 reference and get you going in the right direction for other whirley birds.

Mac

I Didn't do it!!!

Posted by Mobious on Sunday, October 2, 2011 10:25 AM

Sign me up! I've 2 unfinished projects from previous GB's.

Mobious

"It's a problem of applied physics" Roy Brown

Posted by bsyamato on Sunday, October 2, 2011 12:46 PM

here my disaster, italeri eb-66e brought and started in 1997.

Main problem is the putty, at the time using only milliput putty. Really hard to sand, and various gray as primer

in some box i have others pieces and decals

Posted by dostacos on Sunday, October 2, 2011 2:39 PM

I have a stug and a half track I was in a group build I did not finish { I moved my work station and access to my paint booth was screwed up...that's my story and I am sticking to itWink } pictures to follow

Dan support your 2nd amendment rights to keep and arm bears!
Posted by Mobious on Sunday, October 2, 2011 3:59 PM

dostacos, I have a similar story. Went to retrieve my Tamiya 1/35 Stug from the garage where it was packed away and  the instructions are now missingConfused Possibly packed away in one of the dozen or so boxes packed away into deep storage during the "Great Remodeling Campaign". That should be enough excuses to at least cover me while I try to find my tools, adhesives, paints and assembly instructions. Should have labeled all those boxes.Sad

"It's a problem of applied physics" Roy Brown

Posted by macattack80 on Sunday, October 2, 2011 7:44 PM

Mobious, welcome to the GB.  Just let me know what kits you plan on finishing

Dostacos, welcome to the GB as well.  What are scales and manufacturers of the Stug and half-track?

Vonryan, nice collection of armor you have there to finish.   Should look real nice when they are done.

68GT,  I like the RF-4E conversion.  I will update the roster. 

Bish, that Ostwind looks nice.  It'll look great on a base. 

Screaminhelo, that engine looks nice.  Looking forward to seeing your build.

Kevin

[

Posted by lewbud on Sunday, October 2, 2011 8:42 PM

the real red baron

Here are the pics of my Bristol Blenhiem, this was my second kit ever.

what do i need to do?? well i need to sand all of the paint off the bottom, put new decals on, finish painting the model and somehow fix the canopy?

It's actually more like a complete overhall !!!

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc465/the_real_red_baron/P1000891.jpg

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc465/the_real_red_baron/P1000892.jpg

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc465/the_real_red_baron/P1000893.jpg

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc465/the_real_red_baron/P1000894.jpg

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc465/the_real_red_baron/P1000897.jpg

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc465/the_real_red_baron/P1000899.jpg

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc465/the_real_red_baron/P1000900.jpg

If I may offer two suggestions.  The first is keep it just like it is and buy another and build it with the same markings.  That way you and others will see just how far you've come as a model builder (I know my first build is out there somewhere in a box at my Dad's house).  The second is, see if you can find some Super Clean on your side of the world.  It's a purple colored degreaser that a lot of modelers here in the States use as a paint stripper.  It's nontoxic and biodegradable.  If you can find the stuff (probably at your local DIY store), pour it in plastic tub big enough to hold your kit and then leave the kit to soak for a couple of days, weeks, months, years, etc. It won't hurt the plastic.  Check on it every now and then, scrub the old paint off with an old toothbrush.  Rinse thoroughly several times.  I see a lot of tape present, don't know it will do anything about the adhesive residue, but GooGone or a similar product will take care of that.  That being said I'd like to join up, will have to find the old Group Build Count thread and figure out which kit(s) I'd like to finish.

Buddy- Those who say there are no stupid questions have never worked in customer service.

Posted by Thunderbolt379 on Sunday, October 2, 2011 10:09 PM

Good point, lewbud -- I was looking for the Group Build Tally thread the other day and couldn't find it... I hope it's not been taken down!

M/TB379

Posted by lewbud on Monday, October 3, 2011 12:53 AM

Thunderbolt379

Good point, lewbud -- I was looking for the Group Build Tally thread the other day and couldn't find it... I hope it's not been taken down!

M/TB379

Nope, still somewhere.  Maybe more people would use it if the moderators would sticky it at the top of the Group Builds section, like it was before the format change (hopefully that was a subtle enough hint to sticky it again).  Here's the link  /forums/t/64166.aspx  I'll start with the Mi-24 Hind that started out in the Mud Movers build and was carried over to the Cold War Build.  Maybe the third time will be the charm.

Buddy- Those who say there are no stupid questions have never worked in customer service.

Posted by lewbud on Monday, October 3, 2011 1:04 AM

Bumped the Group Build Tally thread, should be easy to find for the moment.

Posted by Thunderbolt379 on Monday, October 3, 2011 1:08 AM

Thanks! Just modified my page, and willl hopefully modify it again in a few days -- I just finished masking two planes for their final camo shades...

M/TB379

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.