SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

Revell 1/96 Saturn V WIP 4-08-09

21 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
Revell 1/96 Saturn V WIP 4-08-09
Posted by DantheMan85 on Wednesday, April 8, 2009 3:59 PM
Well after waiting for close to a year, and watching ebay bids on this kit go over 150$ plus. I was lucky enough to be the only bidder on this. It came to day in its original box with Revell tape on it. I will be getting the after market kits to help finish my Saturn V as accurate as possible. Here's the pictures.

On my Work Bench: Tamiya Ford GT 1/24

Up Coming: ?

Posted by Summit on Thursday, April 9, 2009 9:53 AM
I am looking forward to seeing this project transform.  $150.00 + Wow I never knew they sold for so much. I picked one up at a hobby shop on a out of town trip last Fall. This place had kits stacked to the ceiling and I saw the Saturn V back in a corner covered with dust - price tag $59.99 . I did order the Aftermarket Decals form Space Model Systems as I was not impressed with the pre-printed markings. I have only gotten the engine nozzles started on mine, too many other projects on the bench.. Be sure to post lots of progress pictures Thumbs Up [tup]
Sean "I've reached nearly fifty years of age with my system." Weekend GB 2008
Posted by DantheMan85 on Friday, April 10, 2009 7:12 PM

Thanks Summit, I bought mine off of ebay for just over 100 dollars, the box had 25th 1969-1994.  I did a dry test fit today, and bulit up the model. It does measure up just past 46 inchs, the only fit problem I has was with the thin plactic sections that you rap around in the four sections.  Heres what she looks like in the dry test fit.

Posted by Astronaut Buck on Tuesday, April 14, 2009 8:59 AM

I still have this model from when I was a kid.  It is a great model if for nothing else than size alone.  I had modified the Apollo CSM to a block 2 design and added launch connect interfaces on the surface.  There is a worth while information stream in Space Model Systems Saturn V clinic.

I just bought another on eBay myself and am exploring replacing the wraps with PCV tubing.  I was also looking at potentially filling the stages with a low expansion foam to give it some heft.  I saw this in one of the artlices in the magazine that someone did with aircraft and it caught my interest.  I am also building one in the Skylab configuration....all I need is time and money : )

Enjoy the kit!  It is great and let us know your progress.

Posted by Jim Barton on Tuesday, April 14, 2009 4:44 PM
I built the original when I was a kid back in the 1970s.

"Whaddya mean 'Who's flying the plane?!' Nobody's flying the plane!"

Posted by dcaponeII on Tuesday, April 28, 2009 5:46 PM

I got mine at Hobby Lobby with the 40% off coupon so it was only about $60.  Here are a couple of photos of how I laid mine out.  It's gone now.  I donated it to a United Way Auction.

Sorry I couldn't find the photo with the Apollo Spacecraft.  I used Glenn's RealSpace Models resin CSM. BPC, and LES and they are gems.  I'll see if I can't find the missing photo

Posted by Summit on Tuesday, April 28, 2009 9:24 PM

dcaponell - I have a copy of it hid away in my Refrences. Smile [:)]

Photobucket

Posted by dcaponeII on Wednesday, April 29, 2009 6:31 AM
It's not much of a reference to go by as it has a lot of compromises in the build, but thanks for finding it for me.  One of these days I'll take another crack at another one.
Posted by DantheMan85 on Friday, May 29, 2009 11:55 AM
Thanks guys for the photos, will help alot.

Posted by Sin After Sin on Saturday, June 20, 2009 6:47 PM
I just purchased the 40 year anniversary model. I'll look forward to seeing your progress.
"The best way to predict your future is to create it"
Posted by german plastic model rocket builder on Friday, July 17, 2009 2:31 PM

A little preview for the final assembly of mySaturn-V, which is also a copy of that one at the Cape Canaveral. I used the Revell-Kit plus resin and PE-Parts of Newware. Interested in more Pictures?

Regards from Germany

Thomas

Posted by mallagoodee on Saturday, July 18, 2009 5:19 AM
More pictures?? YES!

Did you scratchbuild the top of the 1st stage?
And the display stands??
And the engines? (The engines look quite detailed!) And the bulkhead the engines attach to, did you augment that too(with rivets and plates) ... or is this just the quality of the kit? (I thought I had this kit when I was a kid, but it must've been the 1/144 one.)

Yes, load this thread up with lotsa pix. It looks like you've done a terrific job!

Pete
Posted by german plastic model rocket builder on Saturday, July 18, 2009 8:03 AM

Sorry for my bad english.

I would like to introduce myself briefly: My name is Thomas, come from East Germany and am interested since my childhood in American space. Particularly for the space shuttle. I built these Saturn-V on the occasion of the 40. anniversary of the moon-landing.

Yes, the top is scratchbuild:

The engines are original Revell, I however much wire cultivated:

The bulkhead deck is from Newware.cz. I bored still further holes inside. There there is no rivets, only the plates is. Rivets I painted with a black pin.

It is, as if one stands in Cape Canaveral under the rocket:

The display stands is also scratchbuild. I have however no pictures of the assembly.

The mounting plates for the cover of the engines are also from Newware.cz

More Pictures from the 1st stage:

Greetings from Germany,

Thomas

Posted by RTimmer on Saturday, July 18, 2009 3:55 PM
Very nice - thanks for sharing!  Cheers, Rick
Posted by german plastic model rocket builder on Sunday, July 19, 2009 8:57 AM

Pictures from S-II and S-IV:

Greetings from Germany,

Thomas

Posted by Lancair IV on Sunday, July 19, 2009 10:07 AM

Outstanding work.....

Bow [bow]

Please keep posting detail pictures.  I love this tyoe of workmanship.

Cheers

Rob Byrnes

Novi, Mi

Posted by Summit on Monday, July 20, 2009 4:33 AM
Thomas - Your Scratch building skills are Fantastic Bow [bow] Wow - what a treat this has been to see your work. I cant wait to see more Approve [^]Thumbs Up [tup]
Posted by german plastic model rocket builder on Monday, July 20, 2009 3:27 PM

Thanks for your interest and the praise!  Pictures of the building from 2nd stage:

Original Revell

Cut out of different parts

A punched ring was appropriated

Original Revell engine

Test alignement of engine, PE- and Resin parts can also  be seen

The first wires

Ready

from the inside

The top of 2stage

After grinding and the first paint job "rust"

With varnishes yellow thinly about that

PE parts

Pipes and Cables

Finished second stage

Standing displays

Greetings from Germany

Thomas

Posted by subfixer on Thursday, July 23, 2009 9:19 PM
Thomas, your work is excellent!

I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Posted by redshft1920 on Friday, July 31, 2009 3:01 AM

Amazing details in all the photos associated with this thread!!! GREAT ideas for my 1/96 scale. Speaking of costs, I had to go $200 on Ebay for the first one I bid on, but the guy was a jip and PayPal refunded my money. Kept looking and found two within two days of each other and bid on both....and WON both!!! One I picked up for $118 and the other for $135. In checking out both kits as I received them, I found that one kit had the LM, CSM, and all parts in that bag molded in gray plastic as is shown in the early images of this thread. The other kit has the SAME parts molded in the same white plastic as the rest of the kits pieces. ODD!

Still, its my second since my first as a kid in the 8th grade in 1968, and this one is a real challenge with this sheet material for the main body pieces of each stage. This one is great practice for the later build of the other kit sometime in the future when I've built up some better assembly and modeling skills. SHEESH, what great work folks do on this stuff. I can't touch anything like these yet, but By God I'm trying.....

Bob

Bob Moody in Cedarville AR

Posted by DantheMan85 on Saturday, August 15, 2009 8:00 PM
Thomas just wow, your Saturn V looks great!!

Posted by Astrazoic on Wednesday, August 19, 2009 12:52 PM

Thomas -

Superb work you did on the Saturn 5. One of the best I've seen.

Phil Smith

www.astrazoic.com

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.