SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

USS Moscow progress pics (part II).

44 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
USS Moscow progress pics (part II).
Posted by Woody on Wednesday, September 1, 2004 10:18 PM
I've made a little bit more progress on my Baton Rouge class cruiser. Part of the fun of this project is figuring out the hidden parts of this starship. The painting from the book only shows a view of the vessel from above and behind. In addition to the painting there is a dorsal drawing in the book that you'll see in the pictures below. As you can tell there is no images of the underside. I collected several 3-view drawings that fans have come up with but I wasn't happy with what they thought the underside looked like. I hope my take on this old design has retained the look of original painting and helps connect it to later Starfleet designs.

The first part of this series can be found here. http://www.finescale.com/fsm/community/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24894

These are the shapes I cut out to build the engineering section with. Although there are only seven layers shown in this picture, I went with eight layers of 1/8th inch thich styrene sheet. Eight layers will help me make the front more round so that I can install a deflector dish similiar to the one on the TOS Enterprise. this will be the main styling cue that ties this vessel to later vessels. Most fan based drawings mount the dish on a post but that looked like an after thought to me. I not only want my deflector to connect my ship to later designs, but also to look like it was an integral part of the design.

This is my model of a ship from Atari's "Space Invaders". Tongue [:P]

This is how the basic shapes will be stacked to achieve the profile I'm looking for. The gaps will be filled by flat sheets of styrene cut to fit and by my *homemade putty made from the same styrene sheet.

* Here is the link to a thread about homemade styrene putty. http://www.finescale.com/fsm/community/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21787

Checking the proportions to my drawing that I had enlarged to the proper 1/1000 scale.

And with the other parts to confirm the look I'm shooting for.

This side view shows the undercut below the shuttle bays. This is another visual styling cue to connect this ship to those that will follow.

You can see where I have penciled in the way this area will be rounded off.

This shows how the top of the engineering section has been scribed to match the details from the original painting.

The sides of the shuttle bay have been added.

The rear of the shuttle bay has been added and just needs the door detail scribed in.

I frequently check against the painting to make sure I'm capturing the correct look.

Let me know what you think. I'd really like to know what you think of my treatment of the underside of this ship.Wink [;)]

" I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way." --John Paul Jones
Posted by maxx1969 on Thursday, September 2, 2004 12:49 AM
Woody she is looking absolutely beautiful. And great job on the saucer section. You did outstanding work on the concentric scribing.Bow [bow]
Gods speed Captain Woody.Wink [;)]

Matt
~Matt T Meyer
Posted by Buddho on Thursday, September 2, 2004 9:04 AM
Wow...Woody...that looks great.....! Our Star Trek build webpage is gonna be loaded with some awesome stuff...this included!

Regards, Dan

Posted by Anonymous on Thursday, September 2, 2004 1:54 PM
Outstanding, Woody. She's really taking shape. And great documentation on the build. You'll have to submit it to SM when you're done.
Posted by SNOOPY on Thursday, September 2, 2004 2:17 PM
That is excellent work Woody. I remember, I think it was last year, someone complaining to FSM about not enough SCI-FI interest and lack of articles. This GB goes to show that there is a lot of interest and FSM needs to encourage more people. I have seen other scratchbuild articles in FSM but this GB has nearly everythig scratchbuilt. Awesome work. Kalmbach's next SCI-FI modeling book should be of entirely new scaratchbuilt subjects with a couple of step-by-step articles.
Posted by Woody on Thursday, September 2, 2004 6:33 PM
Shucks guys your making my head swell! Big Smile [:D]Tongue [:P] Seriously though, I love FSM's Sci-Fi section we may not be the biggest segment here but you guys are solid gold in my opinion. Snoopy if they published such a book, they would have at least one sold for sure! Wink [;)]

" I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way." --John Paul Jones
Posted by Anonymous on Thursday, September 2, 2004 8:07 PM
This is coming along great. Can't wait to see the front!
Posted by Woody on Thursday, September 2, 2004 8:33 PM
QUOTE: Originally posted by Masao

This is coming along great. Can't wait to see the front!

Thank you. Big Smile [:D] I should have this section mostly done by this weekend.

Posted by fightnjoe on Thursday, September 2, 2004 8:58 PM
woody outstanding work. really outstanding.

joe

Veterans,

Thank You For Your Sacrifices,

Never To Be Forgotten

Where you can find me:

Workbench on FaceBook  Google Plus  YouTube

Posted by paulnchamp on Thursday, September 2, 2004 9:13 PM
Very impressive, Woody! I agree that it would make a great build-up article for Starship Modeller or FSM.
Paul "A man's GOT to know his limitations."
Posted by Anonymous on Friday, September 3, 2004 12:15 AM
Wow great job! Thanks for sharing the pictures with us.

Keep 'em coming!
Posted by Anonymous on Friday, September 3, 2004 8:13 PM
Very impressive!
Posted by Woody on Saturday, September 4, 2004 9:00 AM
Hey Guys Thank you!
All the kind words and constructive feedback I've gotten on this project have really added to my enjoyment of it.

Hello Lee, Welcome to the forum.

Posted by Mikeym_us on Saturday, September 4, 2004 11:33 AM
so Woody you going to try building this again in say 1/680th scale now that would be impressive and think of the possibilities of lighting up a ship of that scale :)

On the workbench: Dragon 1/350 scale Ticonderoga class USS BunkerHill 1/720 scale Italeri USS Harry S. Truman 1/72 scale Encore Yak-6

The 71st Tactical Fighter Squadron the only Squadron to get an Air to Air kill and an Air to Ground kill in the same week with only a F-15   http://photobucket.com/albums/v332/Mikeym_us/

Posted by SNOOPY on Saturday, September 4, 2004 12:13 PM
QUOTE: Snoopy if they published such a book, they would have at least one sold for sure! Wink [;)]

Woody, that would be two sold. I did not realize how small it is. That is fantastic. I must try something like that when the green backs are plentiful and time is of abundanceSmile [:)]
Posted by FireFox31 on Sunday, September 5, 2004 8:35 PM
woody im surprised your eyes still work from doing something on such a small scale, i envy you my friend lol, ive got patience but wow. That's going to look great when its all finished.
"Simple" "Budget Builder From Hell" Mike
Posted by Woody on Monday, September 6, 2004 11:54 PM
FireFox, Not to worry I have plenty of magnifying devices! Tongue [:P]
It won't be too small at just under 10 inches.
I should be posting new pics in a day or two. I spent this evening
building the deflector dish assembly. It didn't turn out too shabby
in my opinion. I was a little concerned about it because it is part of
my interpetation of the underside. I feel better seeing how it looked resting on the engineering section. Next the saucer pylon! Wink [;)]

Posted by midnightprowler on Tuesday, September 7, 2004 8:09 AM
Awesome incredible work Woody!
Lee

Hi, I am Lee, I am a plastiholic.

Co. A, 682 Engineers, Ltchfield, MN, 1980-1986

1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 1 Corinthians 15:51-54

Ask me about Speedway Decals

Posted by Woody on Thursday, September 9, 2004 8:33 PM
Lee, Thank you very much. I just now finished dry fitting the two part deflector assembly to the secondary hull. Next I'll be finishing the scribing for the secondary hull and then onto the saucer pylon. I know I haven't made very much progress this week but we are working a lot of overtime at the factory. Happy Happy Joy Joy. Yuck [yuck]

Posted by modelnut on Saturday, September 11, 2004 12:50 PM
Woody!

Any chance you might kit this beauty???

I began a MOSCOW scratchbuild myself many years ago. But gave up when I couldn't get the secondary hull designed to my satisfaction. I based the primary hull on the ERT 18-inch ENTERPRISE. Then built the impulse engines with plastic cut from FOR SALE signs. I put the engines off to the last and never finished. Sad [:(]

I think there is someone kitting the TRITIUM...

Big Smile [:D]Big Smile [:D]Big Smile [:D] - Hope set at maximum!
-Leelan
Posted by Woody on Sunday, September 12, 2004 1:16 AM
QUOTE: Originally posted by modelnut

Woody!

Any chance you might kit this beauty???

That's the plan. Wink [;)] The parts you see are just the masters for a resin kit.

I began a MOSCOW scratchbuild myself many years ago. But gave up when I couldn't get the secondary hull designed to my satisfaction.

I know what you mean about the secondary. If you follow the painting, it doesn't work right and the fan based secondary hull designs are very ugly to my eye. That and they don't "feel" right. I hope my solution is liked by Baton Rouge fans who there are more of than I had imagined.

I think there is someone kitting the TRITIUM...

A guy over on Starship Modeler has kitted a 1/1000 scale Tritium Class cruiser from "The Chronicals of Space Flight".
http://laurenoliver.tripod.com/models/trek/tc.html

By the way welcome to the forum. Smile [:)]

Posted by modelnut on Sunday, September 12, 2004 2:06 PM
COOL!

Put me on the list!

Yours is 1000th as well???

The MOSCOW was not my only attempt at scratchbuilding from that gorgeous book. I also began the POLLUX and the PATTON. But I gave up about 80% of the way through. Little niggly problems began to get on my nerves. Evil [}:)]

But maybe with a couple of ships in a 1000th scale fleet I could be tempted to start and finish them in that scale...

I would have to ship them to some kind soul for kitting though if there was any interest. Sad [:(] I know my limitations.

I will keep track of this thread and await the happy news!

-Leelan

P.S. THANKS! for the welcome! I have been lurking about on the BB since I saw a hint of it on CultTVman's BB. Lots to see here! And good ideas are hatching!!!
Posted by Woody on Sunday, September 12, 2004 4:37 PM

COOL!

Put me on the list!

Yours is 1000th as well???

There is not really a list, just keep watching this space. Wink [;)]
1/1000 is the scale of the Baton Rouge class, USS Moscow (or USS Republic maybe).

Posted by modelnut on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 12:44 PM
Standing by. I will be checking this BB for further updates.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In the meantime, I remembered that I have finished a scrachbuild from the Spaceflight Chronology: http://starshipmodeler.net/contest4/ss_s18.htm

And, in preparation for more scratchbuilds, I drew these on my old roommate's computer:
http://www.shipschematics.net/startrek/images/federation/cruiser_horizon2.jpg
http://www.shipschematics.net/startrek/images/federation/cruiser_pollux.jpg
http://www.shipschematics.net/startrek/images/federation/cruiser_cochrane.jpg
http://www.shipschematics.net/startrek/images/federation/cruiser_mann.jpg
I sent them to http://www.shipschematics.net/ with all the specs and a note saying "Adapted from Rick Sternbach" but this polite and helpful info was deleted prior to posting on the site. Angry [:(!]

I have the PATTON schematic around here somewhere! Evil [}:)] If I could only lay hands on it! I really like that ship - reminds me of a hammerhead shark! Wink [;)] Wonder if anyone would notice if I stuck some fins on it...

-Leelan
Posted by Anonymous on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 4:36 PM
Yes, I think someone would notice if you stuck fins on it.
the real question is would they like it or not :)
I don't have the spaceflight chronology, but if you are talking about the Starfleet Museum
how about a really impressive ship like the Asia Class Refit.
I dare you to attempt that one.
Posted by Woody on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 6:02 PM

Standing by. I will be checking this BB for further updates.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In the meantime, I remembered that I have finished a scrachbuild from the Spaceflight Chronology: http://starshipmodeler.net/contest4/ss_s18.htm

I have the PATTON schematic around here somewhere! Evil [}:)] If I could only lay hands on it! I really like that ship - reminds me of a hammerhead shark! Wink [;)] Wonder if anyone would notice if I stuck some fins on it...

-Leelan

Great scratchbuilt probe! You really have a bit of everything in there. Cool [8D]

Here are a couple images in case you can't find yours.Wink [;)]

Posted by maxx1969 on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 1:53 AM
Hey Woody congrats on making it into the FSM Newsletter with your project!Party [party]

Matt
~Matt T Meyer
Posted by Woody on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 6:11 AM
I've been behind on reading my email so I hadn't read the newsletter yet. My projects inclusion in the newsletter really made the start of my day brighter! Big Smile [:D]

Posted by modelnut on Thursday, September 16, 2004 12:10 PM
Thanks for the JPEGS, Woody! Big Smile [:D]

Much better than the stuff I got with my public library's scanner. Blush [:I] Tax dollars at work!

Maybe I'll dig up my old abandoned models just to share the pictures. Or maybe I will just find the floppies with the perfected orthagonal views and build 'em in 1000th scale...

-Leelan
Posted by Woody on Thursday, September 16, 2004 12:31 PM
Leelan,
I have several other views on my hard drive if your interested.

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.