SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

famous B-24

12 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
famous B-24
Posted by crazygerman on Sunday, April 29, 2007 7:23 PM

Today i got out the two B-24 Liberator kits and my reference books and various printouts, and my history channel DVD, (as far as i know i have every reference on the topic) and restarted an old project of mine. The Lady Be Good, a B-24 Liberator that crashed in Libia in April 1943. For some reason as soon as i heared the story i was obsessed, so has anyone else here built a model or dio on this topic, i'm curious to see how much interest there is in the story

I'm not very far in the project, i'm using two 1/72nd scale minicraft Liberators and scrtchbuilding most of the interior, i'll post some pics along the way if theres interest...i've decided to put off all other projects untill i complete the Lady Be Good.

“It’s the unconquerable soul of man, not the nature of the weapon he uses, that insures victory.” -George S Patton Jr. On the Bench; 71 "Cuda
Posted by soulcrusher on Sunday, April 29, 2007 7:30 PM

Shepard Paine did a diorama of the Lady B Good crash site many years ago. It was a big prodject because the plane had broken into two pieces when it hit the ground unmaned. All of the fabric had rotted of the control surfaced. Are you giong to build it before or after the crash? I see if I can find the pictures of the diorama.

Soulcrusher

Posted by crazygerman on Sunday, April 29, 2007 7:50 PM

Soulcrusher, if you can find some pics that would be great, thanks Bow [bow]

As for the model, i'm planing on ultimatly doing a dio with an airstrip scene with the intact bomber ready for take off , then sort of fading out to the crash scene, thats why i chose to buy two 1/72nd scale Liberators instead of a 1/48 sclae plane, but thats pretty far off and i'm still planning on how exactly to pull it off, first i want to complete the fully intact Lady Be Good

“It’s the unconquerable soul of man, not the nature of the weapon he uses, that insures victory.” -George S Patton Jr. On the Bench; 71 "Cuda
Posted by The Ferg Dog on Monday, April 30, 2007 12:14 PM

Crazygerman;

I have a book written years ago all abouut the Lady eb Good.Some good black and white photos.Yeras ago the History Channel did a show on the Lady.It was a good show.They announced about two or three years ago that they were going to do a follow up show on the Lady.I do not know if they have aever done so.The Libyan govt moved the remains of the Lady Be Good to a military airbase of theirs.They have not let anyone have access to her for some reason.I saw a 1/48 Monogram diorama under glass of the Lady Be Good at March AFB back when it was an active duty base.Being a Marine when we flew overseas we had to go thru March AFB.As usuall sometimes there could be long "hurry up and wait" periods.I would go to the displays.Today my daughter lives 5 miles from March AFRB .I go over to the static display area all the time. 

Posted by crazygerman on Monday, April 30, 2007 8:53 PM
I think i have that book, is it "Ladys Men" or "The Lady Be Good, Mystery Bomber of WWII"?, i have both, both great sources, if yours is different than theres a book i don't know about and i might have to make you an offer Big Smile [:D] i also have the history channel DVD, like i said, i'm obsessed with this story, lol, i don't know if they did a follow up on the history channel though, its a shame the libians won't give anyone access, to me its a valuble peice of american history and a monument to her crew, but i guess the U.S. government gave her up long ago.
Posted by Matt90 on Tuesday, May 1, 2007 6:11 AM
Wow, that dio is very,very cool.
''Do your damndest in an ostentatious manner all the time.'' -General George S. Patton
Posted by ww2modeler on Tuesday, May 1, 2007 6:20 AM

Great Idea.

I have a book called Log of the Liberators that has about ten pages on her.

David

On the bench:

1/35 Tamiya M26 Pershing-0%

1/144 Minicraft P-38J Lightning-50%

Numerous 1/35 scale figures in various stages if completion.

Posted by Keyworth on Tuesday, May 1, 2007 5:37 PM

Got a few pics, most of which I obtained doing some Google surfing.  Hope they're of some use with your dio.

"There's no problem that can't be solved with a suitable application of high explosives"
Posted by Bossman on Tuesday, May 1, 2007 7:11 PM

Hey Crazy...

One of our fellow forumites "Vintage Aircraft" did a dio of the same subject.  Here's the link:

/forums/1/299687/ShowPost.aspx#299687

Chris

Posted by Anonymous on Tuesday, May 1, 2007 7:16 PM

From memory, she was found by oil workers in the 1960s.

Is Shepherd Paine still around?  Dragged out his diorama book last night and had a good read.

Cheers

Andy

Posted by crazygerman on Tuesday, May 1, 2007 8:08 PM
 Thanks for the pics keyworth, theres 2 i didn't have that'll be very useful, and thanks for the link bossman, She was first sighted in may 16th, 58' by british oil workers who were flying over to map out a road, if i remember correctly, funny how fate works, anyway my model is comming along pretty well, i'll probably post some pics as soon as i finish the cockpit, thanks for all the help and encouragment 
Posted by crazygerman on Thursday, May 10, 2007 8:41 PM

I've finaly got around to doing an update on this project, and i managed to snap a pic of the interior work i've done on the co-pilots side of the cockpit...

its not done yet and its taken me around 6 hours of actually working to do, sadly a lot won't be visible when its done but its good practice for when i do the crash seen with the open fuselage. I didn't run any wires yet and i still need to add the navigators equipment and the radiomans equipment. comments and crits welcome. I hope to have better/more numerous pics up soon to show the rest of the work i've done in the cockpit.

Posted by Agent Orange on Monday, May 30, 2011 5:10 PM

I am responding to crazy german about the "lady BeGood" crash display of April 1943. I havce been following this story since 1959. I recently found a copy of the book written by Dennis E. McClendon pub. 1982. I am interested in building a scale modle of the crash site. I saw an article some time ago in a scale model magazine with all the details on how to do it, but I never followed up on it . Do you have any information about this article. 

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.