SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

A Little Russian

11 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
A Little Russian
Posted by jeaton01 on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 10:57 PM

This is the 1/72 Pavla kit of the UT-1, which was one of Yakovlev's designs before he headed his own OKB.  It was a sport plane, and shortly evolved in to a 2 seat trainer and that airplane trained a large number of the USSR's WW II pilots.  You can see the similarity of the planform to the Yak-1 and its  progeny.  The airplane with it is of the same era and also 1/72, the ANT-25 from the UKAR kit.  The span of the UT-1 is a shade under 4 inches.  Except for the stars and the bort? numbers the markings are painted on.  Comments/critiques are welcome.

John

To see build logs for my models:  http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html

Posted by deattilio on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 11:08 PM
Awesome job! Super clean looking planes. That UT surely had to be a challenge.

WIP:
Trying to get my hobby stuff sorted - just moved and still unpacking.

"Gator, Green Catskill....Charlie On Time"

Posted by JoeRugby on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 11:12 PM
Fantastic..simply fantastic!  excellent paint job, how was it to mask the cowling and stripe?
Check out the WW I Special Interest Group @ http://swannysmodels.com/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=WW1SIG
Posted by ruddratt on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 11:17 PM

Wow! That's damm cool, John! ...and tiny! Very nice work all around. The hand-painting looks really good! You always come up with some of the most interesting and unusual subjects here. I always look forward to seeing what's next off your workbench! Thumbs Up [tup]

....and even though I know next to nothing about Soviet aircraft, I had a feeling I'd seen that shape somewhere before. Wink [;)]

Mike

"We have our own ammunition. It's filled with paint. When we fire it, it makes pretty pictures....scares the hell outta people."

Posted by mucker on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 7:52 AM
I love the vibrant colors and unique subjects, John. Nicley executed!

Posted by rjkplasticmod on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 8:40 AM

Nice one John Thumbs Up [tup].

Regards,  Rick

RICK At My Age, I've Seen It All, Done It All, But I Don't Remember It All...
Posted by jeaton01 on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 10:05 AM

Thanks for the nice comments, once again you are all too kind!  I have liked the UT-1's lines since I came across it some years ago.  I plan to do an RC model of it and will probably publish the plans.  I was able to get extensive drawings of the airplane from Yakovlev last year.

It wasn't difficult to paint the nose cowl and engine as they were separate resin parts.  The fuselage was masked with Tamiya tape cut in strips about 1 or 2mm wide except for the scallop shapes at the front, which I did by cutting ellipses from the Tamiya tape using an old drafting template.  These were put on first and the the straight lines were taped over them, helped with alignment.  I did the side stripes as one run to keep them straight, and then placed a star shape over the where the stars go to make the break with the correct angles.  Some of the detail on the wheel fairings was freehand painted and won't stand up to a close up photo, but it looks good in the display case.  These new digital cameras do have their down side!  The kit has a nice resin cockpit but the opening is so small I can't get a photo of it.

John

To see build logs for my models:  http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html

Posted by brain44 on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 10:11 AM

Beautiful work, John, and the juxtaposition of the two a/c is great!  Is the big bird the same one that Chakolov flew from Russia to Vancouver, WA in the 20's?  Thanks for sharing!

Brian  Cowboy [C):-)]
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books (The Shootist)
Posted by jeaton01 on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 10:37 AM
Yes, Brian, it's the ANT-25.  Thanks.

John

Posted by Lucien Harpress on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 10:55 AM
Very nice pair of planes, I must say!  I've always been really drawn to the ANT-25.  I like those high-altitue, long range jobs with the enormous wingspans anyway, and the ANT-25 adds to that with its unique Russian... I don't know, "ruggedness".  A bit less refined looking?  Whatever the case, I think they both look AWESOME!!
That which does not kill you makes you stranger...
-The Joker
Posted by oldhooker on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 11:02 AM

Hi John,

Wow, those are some pretty, small, jewells in your collection Thumbs Up [tup] ...and a nice break from the typical!   

Beautiful work, thanks! Smile [:)]

Take care,

Frank

Posted by wing_nut on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 3:23 PM

Hey nice John.  I just saw the ANT 25 on a TV show about Russian a/c a few weeks ago.  had never heard of it 'til then.

Marc  

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.