SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

1/35 MH-47E conversion

91 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
Posted by intruder_bass on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 4:18 PM

Thank you, Frank

It starting to get into shape. Still have to imitate all the exterior detail - sensors, FLIR mount and rivets)))) Front pylon went through sirious sergery aswell - after all the sanding, filling, comparing to 100 photos and sanding again - there is not much of trumpeter plastic left on it.

Anyway, worked on ramp area side walls for last 6 days straight. Shoud be able to post some pics on sunday.

Andy

Posted by Norbert J on Thursday, May 17, 2007 7:38 AM

Well Andy

great job

I just subscribe to tell you I look your build with much interest

Norbert

1/35 MH-47G conversion: Ramp area build-up
Posted by intruder_bass on Monday, May 21, 2007 11:22 AM

Thanks, Norbert

Some more progress this weekend! Ramp area frames and wall detail. Still missing all the wiring and piping and ceiling and APU.

All the electric boxes and ramp control are ready but not glued on yet.

Oh BTW just realised that I forgot to take a close up of "how it looked like" on the original trumpeter's plastic.
Anybody can help me with that pic?

Andy

Posted by mother31762 on Monday, May 21, 2007 9:08 PM

Once again Andy I'm wowed at your work, it's amazing how you can put together all the detail. What do you use for reference and measurements. Andy did you sand all the molded raised detail and then added in. I replyed over at Armorama with the pic you were looking for, You can have it. I didn't know how to post a pic here....sorry.

Joe

Posted by oldhooker on Monday, May 21, 2007 10:36 PM

That's intense Andy!!!!      Captain [4:-)]

I look through the post daily for updates, and look forward to seeing further work on the beast... which your well on your way to taming... Thumbs Up [tup]... great job!!

Thumbs-up!   

Last May at Redstone Arsenal, Alabama, on board one of the 160th SOAR's new MH-47G models.

Take care,

Frank

Building 1/35 MH-47E (or Chinook Saga continues...)
Posted by intruder_bass on Monday, May 21, 2007 11:27 PM

Thank you Frank and Joe! Really glad you are interested in this build.

Joe, I got your pic! Thanks! Although yours is A mod it still represents the original Trumpeter framing.

Answering your questions - yes, I grinded all this detail off with Dremel tool since it is absolutly incorrect. Even the number of main frames is wrong. Their shape and width is different story.

Reference....well I do nat have access to real AC (unfortunatly) so the only reference I can get are photos from web and from different books/magazines...

Andy

Posted by oldhooker on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 11:36 PM

Hi Andy,

I'm intersted for sure, and a bit surprised that you're not getting more feedback!      Maybe if you'd change the "Subject" on the original entry to indicate this is a build in progress?    example: "MH-47 Conversion in Progress: new updates"

You're blazing a path where no one has gone before, and setting a standard of quality for the rest of us to strive for!  Thumbs Up [tup]   Thank you!

Take care,

Frank

Posted by intruder_bass on Thursday, May 24, 2007 7:48 AM

Frank,

I am getting feedback from you, Oldhooker! Isnt it enough? Big Smile [:D]

Honestly this thread was originaly started as a discussion about essantial corrections to a Trumpeter kit.  But turnes out that almost every single part of the kit needs to be corrected. And not too many ppl are interested in that.  

Might be a good idea to rename it now, since it is more like a build in progress kind of thread. Have no idea how to do that... You know what sailors say about renaming the ship? :-))))))))

BTW - nice pic of you in the MH-47! You have more? )))))) Oh I wish I had just 20 minutes inside that beast with my 1Gb memory camera in my hands)))))))

Andy

Posted by Avus on Friday, May 25, 2007 2:01 AM

Andriy since we have private chats from now to then you know how much I like your work, but this doesn't show here on the forum, so I decided to post this reply.

HOLY GREAT MOTHER OF ALL DETAILS!
That ramp area looks real! Can't wait to see your "Hook" done!

Klaus

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

Posted by oldhooker on Friday, May 25, 2007 12:10 PM
intruder_bass wrote

..... turnes out that almost every single part of the kit needs to be corrected. And not too many ppl are interested in that.  

I can relate... Confused [%-)]    However, altering the original subject to reflect further progression does draw in folks that would normally pass it by.

Might be a good idea to rename it now, since it is more like a build in progress kind of thread. Have no idea how to do that... You know what sailors say about renaming the ship? :-))))))))

(1)   Go to the entry you made above showing the detailed inside aft fuselage, click "Edit", and in the subject line enter: "1/35 MH-47G conversion: Ramp area build-up".      

(2)   Now, go back to your ORIGINAL post in this thread, click "Edit", and enter the same thing: "1/35 MH-47G conversion: Ramp area build-up".      

Doing it this way, it will change what the subject says in the displayed Forum, plus any reply made to the Ramp Area post itself.....    then, when you make future updates, all you have to do is change the 2nd part of the subject line to reflect that update in the current, AND the original posting.

BTW - nice pic of you in the MH-47! You have more? )))))) Oh I wish I had just 20 minutes inside that beast with my 1Gb memory camera in my hands)))))))

The MH-47G I'm sitting in is one of the 160th SOAR "Nightstalker's" birds flown down to Redstone Arsenal from Ft. Campbell, Ky for the last Guns A Go-Go Reunion.     When they lowered the ramp and slid the "steps" up to the CE Door, the AC told everyone that no pictures on board the aircraft were allowed.... and there were four 160th Flight Engineers inside making sure no one did. Sigh [sigh]      My eyes soaked up as much as they could, but that's a poor replacement for detailed photos.     (I was able to sneak one in though)Evil [}:)]

Take care,

Frank

Posted by arkhunter2002 on Friday, May 25, 2007 7:21 PM

Intruder Brass,

Have you seen the MH-47G walk around on primeportal yet?

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/michael_block/mh-47g_soa/

Your model is looking very good!Bow [bow] I am in awe of your scratchbuilt detail work on the model so far.

Take care,

Austin

Posted by intruder_bass on Friday, May 25, 2007 11:11 PM

Frank, thanks for explanation - subject changed. Nice shot BTW! Note that soundproof cover is removed on that one a bit further then on the bird from Primeportal, wich is rare I guess...

Austin thanks for the comment.

The walkaround on primeportal actually was the boost for the idea to start this project. I use photos from it all the time. They are my main reference source. Althoug it is G mod they have there, and I am building an E version, wich is slightly different (you might have noticed that my instrument panel is of an earlier style then on G mod. I also use pics from here:

http://www.chinook-helicopter.com/history/aircraft/E_Models/92-00475/92-00475.html

I am building that particular bird - "Razor 1" before it's last flight in Afganistan on March 4, 2002

Andy

Posted by Wile E on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 5:16 PM

I must admit, I'm one of the ones that has not been keeping up with this thread and sending feedback. It didn't have anything to do with the title though, more to do with time.

Andy, your work look absolutely outstanding especially the aft cabin area. The framing looks spot on accurate. I wish I had such skills. Being a Chinook guy, I can see a lot of the errors in the Trump kit which is one reason I've stayed away from it so far. You seem to be tackling them quite well. Very nice work.

As for pictures of the finer details, I may be able to help you. I work for the office that buys and equips the MH-47 fleet. I have access to all sorts of pictures and diagrams that could help you with the details. Of coarse I could only share the ones that don't risk sensative information. If I don't have it, I'm around MH-47E & G a/c everyday. There are a lot of details on long range, long nose Chinooks that go unseen that really make the difference. One thing I noted on your nose & canopy realizing its not complete, there is a quite large access panel on top of the nose forward of the windsheilds. Maybe you've already got it covered.

By all means, let me know if you need anything. I'm not too sure how to post pictures on here but I can certainly email them and get back to you quickly. Let me know.

Wile E

Posted by intruder_bass on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 1:39 PM

Wile E,

Thank you very much for compliments and for this offer to help with reference. I really apritiate it.

I'll try to gather my questions and send you an e-mail or PM by the end of the week if you don't mind.

About the nose hatch - the piece I am holding on the photo is just a simple base. All the detail will go on top of it after I cover it with foil

Andy 

Posted by DPD1 on Sunday, June 3, 2007 12:55 AM
Looks great so far... That interior rib detail is awesome.

Dave
The North Spin - Dedicated to Aircraft Flight Test for the Aviation Enthusiast
http://www.thenorthspin.com
Posted by Hatter50 on Sunday, June 3, 2007 5:33 AM

Andy,

Just to let you know that there are some, like me, that are watching in the wings.  I haven't been able to contribute but am looking at your CHINOOK SAGA for the interior of my 1/48 CH-53E.  I'm just blown away at your level of detail.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards
Steve

Posted by Trigger on Thursday, June 7, 2007 10:31 AM
 intruder_bass wrote:

Bow [bow] Bow [bow] Bow [bow]

------------------------------------------------------------------ - Grant "Can't let that nest in there..."
Posted by snowsamurai on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 10:38 PM

I just read through this incredable saga.  I just baught the 47D with plans of recreating takar ghar.  I was in the army with some of the boys who died there and thought  it a good idea.  doing a lot of research and am starting to get nervouse.  (this will be my first scratch building expiriance) 

anyway thought I would tell you all how awsume it all looks and I hope mine turns out about half as good though i'll aim for better.  finding pilots and aircrew is not easy.  the 160th uses different gear than the rest of the army also. 

well have a good one'

Posted by HeavyArty on Thursday, June 21, 2007 11:41 AM

finding pilots and aircrew is not easy.  the 160th uses different gear than the rest of the army also. 

Check the sticky at the top of the helo forums.  The new Trumpeter CH-47D Crew looks promising.  Many of the other crew sets could be modified as well.

Gino P. Quintiliani - Field Artillery - The KING of BATTLE!!!

Check out my Gallery: https://app.photobucket.com/u/HeavyArty

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

Posted by Anonymous on Saturday, August 11, 2007 9:12 PM

Hey Intruder Brass,

I was just wondering how your progress on this wonderful conversion is going?

Maybe you could post some updated pics for us all to see

Darryl

Posted by intruder_bass on Saturday, August 11, 2007 11:02 PM

I had to rebuild cockpit detail, this time more accurate with correct shape of instrument panel and floor panels based on the measurements of the real thing. That was a big step back - took me more then a month to get it done. At the same time I was working on new miniguns and ammo boxes for them aswell as detailed chaff/flare dispensers and some other exterior detail - radar pod, fuel tanks etc.

It all takes enormous amount of time!

Gave some of the parts yesterday to Sid Arnold (Armour Brigade Models) to cast from resin, so hopefully next week I'll have something to show here.

Andy

Posted by oldhooker on Monday, August 13, 2007 1:30 AM

Andy,

I use your work as a "Walk Around" reference, and it is truly an inspiration to see your builds come together!     "It all takes enormous amount of time", is an understatement, and it sure manifest itself in the EXTREMELY realistic depictions you share with us! Thumbs Up [tup]  Thank you!

Take care,

Frank

Posted by intruder_bass on Thursday, August 16, 2007 11:55 AM

Some progress...

working on FWD pylon

Ammo boxes for M-134

Various cockpit detail so far

Chaff/Flare dispensers detail - 8 per aircraft. Done with separate cartridge.

Andy

Posted by Melgyver on Thursday, August 16, 2007 4:33 PM

Andy,

Amazing work as "usual"!  Outsanding!

Clear left!

Mel

Clear Left!

Mel

Posted by oldhooker on Friday, August 17, 2007 10:36 PM

Andy,

If Trumpeter would have hired you to build the molds for this Beast, they would have sold a *Quazillion* of them by now!     

Beautiful, beautiful work!   Thank you for the updates!! Thumbs Up [tup]

Take care,

Frank

Posted by intruder_bass on Sunday, September 30, 2007 9:14 PM

OK my friends... finally all the local model shows are over and all the comission builds are finished I am back on my MH-47E project! The cockpit floor is done and its out of hair. The last pics of it before giving it to Sid for casting:

Work continues on the canopy framing and the interior detail. FLIR mount also added from underneeth the nose.

Also some minor add-ons to front pylon part.

More next week!

Andy

Posted by Avus on Monday, October 1, 2007 1:30 AM

Holy Hook!

This thing keeps looking better and better ... wait a sec ... we're talking 'bout Andy ... so it's nothig to be surprised about! Big Smile [:D]

One question: will all those parts be in the resin update set?

Klaus

Posted by intruder_bass on Monday, October 1, 2007 7:01 AM

Thanks Klaus! 

Avus wrote:

One question: will all those parts be in the resin update set?

Yes! Absolutly! (exept for the ramp area of caurse :-) )

Thats why it takes much more time then just straight build.

Andy

Posted by Avus on Tuesday, October 2, 2007 1:46 AM

intruder_bass wrote:
Yes! Absolutly! (exept for the ramp area of caurse :-) )

Woohoo! I'll be your client nr.1! 

Klaus

Posted by wooty on Tuesday, October 2, 2007 12:53 PM

Wow!! Bloody Amazing work Andy, interior detail is just superb. By the look of it you are doing a super job of the " Razor 1 " hook and i am sure your work will do it justice, great to see!

I have read a couple of books about that event and will surely be getting Trump Kit and doing the conversion!

Thanks For Sharing

Robert

Rob..

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.