SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

A verstile tool made from a JLC saw

4 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
A verstile tool made from a JLC saw
Posted by wing_nut on Friday, August 17, 2007 4:07 PM

Here is a way to make your JLC saw even more useful than it already is.  Those that already have one knows how super thin the blade is but the way the blade is held in the handle it may limit the depth of the cut depending on the situation.  A Czech modeler I traded emails with a while back breaks off pieces and puts them in an Exacto handle.  I found that is slides around a bit so I made a cut in a paint brush handle and CA’s the blade in the kerf and trimmed the side.  Works great.

WARNING!  These blades are fragile and can break easily.  Wear protective eyewear when using. Particularly when breaking off pieces on purpose.

Marc  

Posted by DrewH on Saturday, September 8, 2007 3:50 AM
Great tip Marc. I just may give that a go Approve [^]
Take this plastic and model it!
Posted by Daywalker on Saturday, September 8, 2007 5:51 PM

Good tip Marc!  I tried another variation of that one, I took an ultra-thin cutting wheel and made a seies of tiny cuts along the edge of an Xacto blade and use that as a mini-saw.

Frank 

Posted by HawkeyeHobbies on Tuesday, October 2, 2007 10:48 AM

John Vojtech does exactly the same thing. That is how he makes some of his scribing tools. I tell my customers never throw away the broken blade for just this reason.

The blade can also be mounted in a handle to make a very flexible flush cutting saw. Perfect for removing things like the underwing scoops on a Spitfire to detail the radiators inside so they can be reinstalled afterwards.

Gerald "Hawkeye" Voigt

http://hawkeyes-squawkbox.com/

"Its not the workbench that makes the model, it is the modeler at the workbench."

Posted by wing_nut on Tuesday, October 2, 2007 3:45 PM

Now there's another great idea.  Like one of the Japanese flush cut woodworking saws.

Oh my... I feel the need to hack at somethingTongue [:P]

Marc  

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.