SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

Does Anyone use a Wet Palette?

7 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
Does Anyone use a Wet Palette?
Posted by Griffin on Sunday, January 17, 2010 9:12 PM

I finally got around to making a wet palette today and I am kicking myself for not having done it sooner. It worked amazingly well and kept my paint wet for literally hours.

Posted by Phil_H on Sunday, January 17, 2010 9:41 PM

Yes, it's an invaluable tool, especially when painting figures.

For those who don't know what a "wet palette" is, it's essentially a closable tray with a layer of absorbent material soaked in water covered by a semi-permeable liner on which you put your water-based paints. Water from the lower layer can penetrate the liner by osmosis, keeping the paint moist and workable, for several days if required.

They can be purchased from artists supply stores, but I made myself a small one using s small, flat food storage container (with a lid), a half of a kitchen sponge and a small piece of silicone baking paper.. Total cost, about $3.00. This is sufficient to keep small amounts of Vallejo acrylics usable for up to a week - 10 days. It's invaluable when your painting time is short or rife with interruptions or distractions.

Posted by PontiacRich on Tuesday, January 19, 2010 9:57 PM

Phil_H

For those who don't know what a "wet palette" is, it's essentially a closable tray with a layer of absorbent material soaked in water covered by a semi-permeable liner on which you put your water-based paints. Water from the lower layer can penetrate the liner by osmosis, keeping the paint moist and workable, for several days if required.

They can be purchased from artists supply stores, but I made myself a small one using s small, flat food storage container (with a lid), a half of a kitchen sponge and a small piece of silicone baking paper.. Total cost, about $3.00. This is sufficient to keep small amounts of Vallejo acrylics usable for up to a week - 10 days. It's invaluable when your painting time is short or rife with interruptions or distractions.

I'd love to see a picture of one of these - could you post one!

Rich - "And when the Band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the Dark Side of the Moon" - Pink Floyd

FREDDOM

Posted by Phil_H on Wednesday, January 20, 2010 1:10 AM

Hi Rich,

Nothing could be simpler:

1: Plastic container with lid (this is a small one, about an inch and a half deep from a "dollar store" type place) 
2: Half a kitchen sponge
3: a small sheet of silicone baking paper

The sponge goes into box, water goes on the sponge and paper goes on sponge, paint goes on paper.

You can buy a  ready made commercial one from $12.00 up or make one from stuff you've got lying around at home. If you have to buy the bits, it shouldn't cost more than about $3.00 (maybe $2.00 more if you have to buy a roll of baking paper).

Posted by Griffin on Wednesday, January 20, 2010 1:15 PM

Phil - thanks for posting that. My wet palette may be the best thing since sliced bread.

Note the plastic container can be sealed shut so the paint should be usable when you return to your work (depending on time lapse).

I don't know if it matters but I used distilled water in mine. I was told I should use DW to thin my Vallejo paints so I figured it couldn't hurt.

Also, mine uses parchement paper ( I don't know if this is the same as silicone baking paper).

I've also heard you can use multiple layers of paper towel, cut to shape/size. You just saturate the paper towel and Bob's your uncle.

I'll check out the success of mine once I get back to my model on the weekend.

Posted by PontiacRich on Wednesday, January 20, 2010 2:41 PM

Thanks for posting the pics!

Rich - "And when the Band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the Dark Side of the Moon" - Pink Floyd

FREDDOM

Posted by RTimmer on Friday, January 22, 2010 10:19 AM

Thanks, Phil - this could be one of the most useful additions to my kit.

Cheers, Rick

Posted by SuppressionFire on Friday, January 22, 2010 10:32 AM

2 wize guy remarks for ha ha?

I think I just wet my palette

Wet pallets don't burn as well at the bush party!

Sorry had to tho'

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y211/razordws/GB%20Badges/WMIIIGBsmall.jpg

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.