SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

The Ostfront GBII - 2011/12

247 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
Posted by kermit on Monday, March 5, 2012 2:09 PM

Anything eastern front i.e. russians against axis WW2 would apply modeler#1

Richard

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill

Posted by modeler#1 on Monday, March 5, 2012 3:24 PM

Ok

Here are some progress pics

I plan to do a tank from the 11 pz division

On the Bench: Nothing atm

Posted by bufflehead on Monday, March 5, 2012 4:54 PM

Greg - That is some excellent solder work on the Marder!  Reminds me of the work wing_nut did in the Marder Madness GB, IIRC!  You guys should be give the Heavy Metal  award for your PE work!!  Its going to look sweeet once its got some paint on her!

modeler#1 - I've been wanting to build that old Tamiya Pz.IV Ausf.D kit for the longest time!  Looking forward to how your's turns out!  If you don't mind a question:  What is that color chart behind the kit box cover?

kermit - no probs on the GB update!  To be honest, I didn't even know my info was missing!  Questions for you:  my T-26T and F-22 gun are done....can I post them here instead of the first Ostfront GB?  Same with the BT-5, which I should be resuming work on this weekend or next.   Does it make sense to post them here instead of resurrecting the first GB thread?  I'm still planning on building the GAZ69 and the T-70, but a bit later down the road.

Ernest

Last Armor Build - 1/35 Dragon M-26A1, 1/35 Emhar Mk.IV Female

Last Aircraft Builds - Hobby Boss 1/72 F4F Wildcat & FW-190A8

Posted by modeler#1 on Monday, March 5, 2012 6:06 PM

bufflehead

modeler#1 - I've been wanting to build that old Tamiya Pz.IV Ausf.D kit for the longest time!  Looking forward to how your's turns out!  If you don't mind a question:  What is that color chart behind the kit box cover?

The chart is a Vajeio Paint chart (sorry If i spelt it wrong)

Posted by kermit on Tuesday, March 6, 2012 10:28 AM

Bufflehead,

By all means go right ahead. Now that you mention it... it kinda strikes me as odd to dig an old GB up from page six to post finishing pics. I totally agree.

Here is what i will do: i will just add your builds from the last GB to this term's roster so you still have ample time to work on your builds as you see fitWink I am delighted to host more of your workBig Smile

Richard

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill

Posted by modeler#1 on Wednesday, March 7, 2012 6:31 AM

Got some wark done

Added wire

did weld lines

Posted by modeler#1 on Sunday, March 11, 2012 11:19 AM

storage bin damage

tank comander

more weld lines turret about 50% done

some work on the hull

ran out of primer halfway through

Posted by bufflehead on Thursday, March 22, 2012 11:28 PM

I like that battle damage on the stowage bin modeler#1!  Did you get more primer?  Oops

Ernest

Posted by bufflehead on Thursday, March 22, 2012 11:54 PM

Hey my Osfront buddies!  I hope everyone's doing well and enjoying some fun modelling this year!  I'm back with an update and default bump!!

Since I forgot to post the finished pics of the RPM T-26T Artillery Tractor and the Bronco F22 76.2mm Gun in the first Ostfront GB, here they are:

Back in November I accidentally hit the gun with something (?) and broke off the tall sighting mechanism.  I picked up two pieces and stashed them away to fix later.  At the end of the year I tried to glue them back on and found out I was missing a third piece, which was the base piece to mount to the breech....OOPS!  So now I can't fix it and in the last photos the mechanism is missing!

The last update on the Italeri BT-5 showed the model after the green base coat.  Soon afterwards I applied some highlights using a lightened basecolor, but I didn't take any photos.  Pic below are before the highlights were applied:

I was finally able to complete some other projects and get back to it!  So yesterday I applied some "preshading" on all the panel lines using Flat Black.  Yeah, it looks pretty garish, but its done on purpose.  You can also see the highlights in this photo

Then I applied a "blending coat" using the base color, but thinned down with about 40% thinner. This coat blends the very light highlights, the dark shading and the base color together resulting in a much nicer look. Most modelers apply the black preshading BEFORE the base color, but I like to do it after the base color and highlights are applied. Just me I guess...

Wheels received the same treatment:

Turret: Before and After

The muffler is mostly done.  It will get some final touch-ups before being installed and then get dirtied and dusted.

Filters, markings, detail painting and weathering to come!

Ernest

Posted by modeler#1 on Saturday, March 24, 2012 10:03 AM

bufflehead

I like that battle damage on the stowage bin modeler#1!  Did you get more primer?  Oops

i used white spray paint to prime the rest worked okay a little thick but nothing too bad

I love that bt-5 the preshading looks wonderfull!

I have got a lot done since i last posted- i have pre shaded,painted,put decals on,and applied some pigments. pics will probably be up today.

Posted by modeler#1 on Saturday, March 24, 2012 10:27 AM

like i said before:some updates

primed the tracks in black

turret assembly in final stages

pre shading the hull

and the turet

and some stowage

i will post some current pics later today

Posted by modeler#1 on Saturday, March 24, 2012 4:09 PM

more pics.

Posted by bufflehead on Saturday, March 24, 2012 9:26 PM

Looking good modeler#1!  I like that you applied the preshading, but I don't notice it much after the panzer gray was applied.  Maybe the glare from the flash washed them out in the photos?

Ernest

Posted by modeler#1 on Sunday, March 25, 2012 9:08 AM

No there's nothing wrong with the photos the pre shading did not turn up. probably because black and dark grey don't mix.

Posted by Njal Thorgeirsson on Sunday, March 25, 2012 8:11 PM

Hi!

I'd like to enter- I will be building the Tamiya 1/35 citroen traction. It's not much, but I haven't completed anything in a while so I look forward to a quick build!

FACEBOOK: Ryan Olson Thorgeirsson for pics of all my builds.

"There are two kinds of people in this world; those who put fries/chips on their sandwiches, and those who don't enjoy life."

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Posted by kermit on Monday, March 26, 2012 11:36 AM

Guys,

EXCELLENT work sofar everybody! I love each and every picture i get in my email!

Njal,

Ofcourse! I would be more than happy to put you on the big list and even a quick build is a build so i wish you the greatest fun with your decompression buildYes

I know it has been quite a while since the last time i posted an update on the Tiger tank but now that i have cleared my bench a little with completed projects i find my mind wandering of to it more and more.

Richard

Posted by modeler#1 on Monday, March 26, 2012 6:44 PM

got some more progress done

Peticularly proud of the photo below took forever to get that string in place

rust and chain

some stawage im thinking of puting on. but doing a solid stained wood base instead of a diorama so that might take away from the main focus.

Posted by bufflehead on Monday, March 26, 2012 8:45 PM

Glad to see you back Richard!  Looking forward to seeing your Tiger soon!

modeler#1, the Pz. IV is coming along nicely!  I like the dirty, dusty look you gave it!  Not too sure about that chain on the muffler though.  Most AFVs at this time of WWII didn't use chains for anything.  For towing they would have used tow cables which were stronger and more durable.  Its your build though, so if you want to stick with the chain, go right ahead!

Ernest

Posted by bufflehead on Thursday, March 29, 2012 9:26 PM

Another update on the BT-5! 

I finally applied several filters, then the markings, and then a overall brown wash to dingy it up!

For the filters and wash I used MIG products.  Green filter first, then grey(more like a tan) and then brown. 

Then I applied the markings using dry transfers from Woodland Scenics:

I've never liked Italeri decals as they are very prone to silvering, even with a gloss undercoat.  I couldn't find an exact match for the numbers, but the WS transfers were close enough and the right size.

The red stars were made using a generic photoetch star stencil.  After protecting the markings with a couple of coats of Vallejo Acrylic Flat, I applied the overal brown wash to break up the green a little and give it a dingy look.

Next I'll add some chipping, paint the shovel and fender straps, do a dark pinwash, and finally add some dust and dirt.  Oh, and I have to add the tracks....almost forgot that!

Ernest

Posted by bufflehead on Monday, April 2, 2012 12:13 AM

Back with another BT-5 update:

Chipping was added using Vallejo German Camo. Black Brown.  Applied using the sponge technique, but a few hard to get to areas were done with a fine brush.  Started painting the details (shovel, fender straps) and finally installed the muffler.  I had to take the turret off the bottle holder to remove the hatches so they could be chipped properly, so I decided to photograph the model with the turret on.  I also decided to temporarily add a couple of wheels to see how the weathering was turning out.  I think the wheels need to be dirtied up some more!!

I have to leave town next Monday for a business trip so I'm trying to get this done no later than this coming weekend.  Not much more to do....finish up the detail painting, add a bit more washes, work on the headlights and then finish up the tracks.  

Ernest

Posted by dupes on Monday, April 2, 2012 10:06 AM

Ernest - BT-5 is looking great! Can't quite make out what scale your dry transfers are...help me out?

Posted by kermit on Monday, April 2, 2012 10:45 AM

Ernest,

Lovely work on the BT-5!YesYesYes. If you ever start masterclasses on weathering sign me up for sure as i really love the technique and skill you display with your models. I am really impressed!

These mig filters, do they brush on straight from the bottle or maybe airbrush on? Are they acrylic?

Up until now i always sufficed with drybrushes, watercolor washes and pastel chalks but these Mig products and the AK interactive stuff are really calling me lately...

Richard

Posted by bufflehead on Monday, April 2, 2012 8:35 PM

dupes

Ernest - BT-5 is looking great! Can't quite make out what scale your dry transfers are...help me out?

Thanks dupes! The dry tansfers are

MG708 NO.ROMAN, R.R.-WHITE

approx sizes: 1/16, 3/32, 1/8, 3/16, 1/4, 5/16

The size I used was the 2nd largest, 1/4. I measured them and they are VERY close to 1/4"

The roman lettering on this transfer is a little wider than on the kit decals and the style is a bit different, but I looked high and low to find a decal set or transfers that came close with no luck. I was shocked to find these in the RR section of the LHS in San Jose!!

Ernest

Posted by bufflehead on Monday, April 2, 2012 8:54 PM

kermit

Ernest,

Lovely work on the BT-5!YesYesYes. If you ever start masterclasses on weathering sign me up for sure as i really love the technique and skill you display with your models. I am really impressed!

These mig filters, do they brush on straight from the bottle or maybe airbrush on? Are they acrylic?

Up until now i always sufficed with drybrushes, watercolor washes and pastel chalks but these Mig products and the AK interactive stuff are really calling me lately...

Richard

Richard, thanks for your kind words!  There's still a bit of work to do and I might screw it all up in the end, so we'll see how she turns out.

The MIG filters are enamel based, meant to be applied over an acrylic paint coat.  They can be applied with either a brush or AB, however I prefer using a brush because I can manipulate the filter more to my liking.  Although its not meant to be used as a wash, I find that if applied slightly thicker than designed the color will pool or streak in the areas that I want.  Unlike oil based filters, these enamel based filters dry quite quickly and the pigments are hard to remove,  so I have to maintain control of this or else I can end up with a disaster. 

Combined with pre/post shading with the AB, chipping, dot filtering and washes, I find that drybrushing is practically unnecessary.  If I do drybrush, I go in the opposite color direction, using burnt umber or dark brown oil paint to reverse highlight exposed metal edges, rivets and bolts, or to depict wear or ingrained dirt on a surface.

I've yet to try any AK Interactive products, but I agree it does look very compelling!

Ernest

Posted by dupes on Tuesday, April 3, 2012 8:58 AM

Excellent info! I'm going to need to dig up a set of those...no doubt MUCH cheaper than going for individual Archer Sov sets. Yes

Kermit - just realized that the Sd.Kfz.251/2 I cracked into would qualify for this GB. Not knowing when I'll get to my P-39, is it a problem if I switch? It's the Cyber Hobby kit in 1/35.

Posted by kermit on Tuesday, April 3, 2012 10:33 AM

Bufflehead,

Thank you for explaining the use of the Mig filters and washes. I am certainly going to add some to my arsenal in the future, providing the gods of wallet filling are smiling down on meWink Mighty interesting stuff!Yes

Dupes,

By all means go right ahead with your build and thank you for thinking of the Ostfront corner to do it. Looking forward to your updates on it!Big Smile

Richard

Posted by bufflehead on Tuesday, April 3, 2012 8:39 PM

Dang dupes!  Until you mentioned it I didn't realize that whole transfer sheet cost less than $6!!  You're right, a much smaller Archer Set would probably run twice that!

Ernest

Posted by tigerman on Saturday, April 7, 2012 2:05 AM

Ernest, that's brilliant work my friend. Loving it.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y269/wing_nut_5o/PANZERJAGERGB.jpg

Eric 

Posted by sub revolution on Monday, April 16, 2012 11:37 PM

Excellent work around here guys!

So some of you may be wondering where me and my poor little T-34 have disapeared to...

I am sorry to say that, sparing a very long, stupid story, the model was either stolen or thrown away. Safe to say I hold no hopes of seeing it again. Sad

But don't count me out yet! I'm going to the LHS tomorrow, and hope to find another one or something similar. After all Richard, this would be what the 3rd, 4th time I've dropped out of one of your GB's? This madness has to stop!

Will update tomorrow on my findings. Thanks.

NEW SIG

Posted by sub revolution on Tuesday, April 17, 2012 7:57 PM

Ok, so in light of my current living situation, I decided to revert back to my comfort zone: Airplanes! I'll come back to do a tank later... This may actually work well for the GB anyway, since it doesn't look like there are many flying things in this one. So here's what I got:

SDC14088

Academy 1/72 P-39N Airacobra (and yes it thankfully has a Soviet option!) I saw this guy at the LHS and just couldn't resist! Plus he can keep my IL-2 for the 1942 GB company.

SDC14089

Very simple little kit (and builds into a teeny-tiny little plane!) But that's good, I need simple right now. Those in the No Excuses GB can see why...

Sorry to bother you again Richard. I think I can finish this one though!

Thanks

NEW SIG

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.