SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

Three tone camouflage painting step-by-step

4 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
Three tone camouflage painting step-by-step
Posted by Pawel on Tuesday, September 8, 2009 9:18 AM

Hello everybody,
recently I finished a KITECH 1/48 LAV-AT model, see the review here. I thought I'd share the painting procedure with you, maybe somebody can learn something? Well here it comes. This is what it looked like before painting:

Scratchbuilding by Pawel
Scratchbuilding by Pawel
Scratchbuilding by Pawel
Scratchbuilding by Pawel
Scratchbuilding by Pawel

First I painted the whole thing with Tamiya primer from a spray can.
Next came the preshading with Humbrol 32, dark grey. It will constitute base for the green color. I recommend doing the first color all over the vehicle, as it's easy to miss some spots and have to do it twice. Normally the colors should be applied from the lightest to darkest. With shading this rule is reversed some.

Painting by Pawel
Painting by Pawel
Painting by Pawel

The green color comes in. While doing it you shold concentrate on spraying it on the centres of panels and flat surfaces, leaving the edges considerably darker.

Painting by Pawel
Painting by Pawel
Painting by Pawel
Painting by Pawel

Then my cool trick comes in: after the green paint dries completely, take the removable glue and mask the spots that are supposed to remain green. Well I normally use UHU Patafix (german brand), this time I went for Faber-Castell Tack-It (similar product, also german). What we talk about here is a kind of putty/glue, that can be shaped, is tacky, but you can remove it from the surface without it leaving any residue. It can normally be found in stores selling art and draftsman supplies, it's household uses include temporarily glueing a poster to the wall and stuss like that. What I did was to shape the removable glue in long thin rolls, about 2-4mm thick, put them along the outline of the intended green spots and masing the inner surface with masking tape.

Painting by Pawel
Painting by Pawel

After this was done I pre-shaded for black color with Humbrol flat black 33. You should try to keep the airbrush perpendicular to the surface all the time and not spray under the mask, but this isn't as critical as keeping the coats light.
Then came the black spots, painted with Humbrol dark grey 32, which is a much better camouflage black than black.
After the black dried it was time for masking again.

Painting by Pawel
Painting by Pawel
Painting by Pawel

The next color would be brown.

Painting by Pawel
Painting by Pawel

As the backgroung was dark already, I didn't see the need to preshade. I just painted the centers of the panels and flat surfaces with Humbrol tan 118.

Painting by Pawel

After the paint dried, I removed the masks. My favourite step! Here's what it looked like:

Painting by Pawel
Painting by Pawel
Painting by Pawel

Now for weathering. First came a wash of dilluted future (well polish variant of it) with some wood stain for color (I took it because it was just sitting on my workbench - any nice dark water-based color would do). Then my girlfriend mixed some sand color for me and I applied a wash with this color to the wheels and sprayed/dusted it on the vehicle hull, heavier coat in the wheel well area, lighter on the sides, almost none on the top. While the paint is still fresh, you can take a fine pointed brush, dip it in some compatible thinner and paint very realistic water runs, as if the rain washed some of the dust down.
Then I just picked up the details (reflectors, periscopes) with a fine-pointed brush and dry-brushed the tires dark grey and called it a day.

Model by Pawel
Model by Pawel
Model by Pawel
Model by Pawel
Model by Pawel
Model by Pawel
Model by Pawel

Just after processing the fotos I realized I also have to pick up some more viewing ports and lights. Well, I hope You like it, please tell me what do you think about it? Till the next time

Pawel

All comments and critique welcomed. Thanks for your honest opinions!

www.vietnam.net.pl

Posted by P mitch on Tuesday, September 8, 2009 9:29 AM

Pawel

I like it and its not "Over Weathered" had to put that as I'm the fool that started tha last post on that subject. Even better that its a 1/48 which I've always found a nightmare to paint in anything other than one colour (but then I never claimed to be good at it)

Congratz

P mitch

"If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: it's all balls." R J Mitchell

Posted by Pawel on Wednesday, September 9, 2009 9:03 AM

Thanks for Your comment P mitch,

I just thought let's show the people how one can easily paint modern scheme. My method isn't too hard, is it? And there's no need for a modern vehicle, regularly maintained, operating in peacetime, to be beat up really bad.

Now for all the people who wanted to have a separate "modern" group - please let me know if You find posts like that above helpful. If not, I won't waste more time on pasting all the pictures, why clutter up the internet? I'm a bit tired of Panzers too but think the only way to help it is to make some work in this direction. Best greetings to all, have a nice day

Pawel

www.vietnam.net.pl

Posted by wbill76 on Wednesday, September 9, 2009 9:16 AM
A very helpful and detailed SBS Pawel and the results you've achieved speak for themselves. Thanks for posting it! Thumbs Up [tup]
Posted by Pawel on Thursday, September 10, 2009 9:08 AM

Thanks wbill,

I'm glad You found my post helpful. Just thought I'd share and maybe even learn something myself. Any comments, fellow modellers? Thanks in advance

Pawel

www.vietnam.net.pl

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.