SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

Classic aviation GB? 1903-1938

19 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
Classic aviation GB? 1903-1938
Posted by Aaronw on Saturday, January 23, 2010 7:12 PM

I've recently become enamored with the aircraft of the 1920s and 30s. As that is a fairly limited category and there were some who were hoping for a Knights of the Sky 3 GB, I thought it would be practical to open it up to a pre-WW2 aviation GB. 35 years is a nice round number and 1938 offers a fairly clean cut off from WW2 without dismissing it completely.

If the type flew between Dec 17, 1903 and Dec 31, 1938 it qualifies. Wright flyer, WW1 aircraft, yellow wings, Spanish Civil War etc. There are even a few WW2 aircraft that had early versions flying, including Spitfire, Hurricane, P36, B-17, Me109, He-111, I-16, Ki-27 Nate.

In addition to combat aircraft there are lots of General aviation, racing, exploration / record breaking, and early airliners. It was also a golden age for the seaplane.

As aftermarket for many of these planes is limited or non-existant rivet counting for markings will not be in effect. As long as the variant was in use before Jan 1, 1939, later markings are ok (so a Gladiator in BoB or Winterwar Finn markings is acceptable). An exception is prototypes that flew in 1938, but did not enter service until 1939 (or later). These are acceptable but must be done as a prototype (so no sneaking in an AVG P-40, since the first flight was in 1938, but production of the P-40 didn't began until 1939).

There are quite a few Airfix, Matchbox and Revell / Monogram kits available for this period, so this can easily be a cheap quickie build for people looking to add something different to their collection. Limited run and resin kits open up many more exotic subjects.

So anyone interested in a group build highlighting the first 35 years of powered flight? I'm hoping for maybe a  Feb or March start date? I'm flexible on an end date Sept/Oct or maybe run it to Dec 17 (Wright brothers first flight).

Posted by Wirraway on Sunday, January 24, 2010 12:04 AM

I could go with either a Fokker DvII or a Dornier DO-X.  I'd be interested.

"Growing old is inevitable; growing up is optional"

" A hobby should pass the time - not fill it"  -Norman Bates

GIF animations generator gifup.com

Posted by Aaronw on Sunday, January 24, 2010 1:51 PM

Either of those would work, I'd like to see the Do-X myself.

We will have to see if there is anymore interest than just the 2 of us.

Posted by Thehannaman2 on Sunday, January 24, 2010 2:28 PM

I'd be interested.  I have several Eduard Albatrosses... Albatrosess?...  Albatrossesess..  Albatri?....

I'll build a Fokker.

Justen

"The distance between genius and insanity is measured only by success."

Member IPMS Niagara Frontier. "The BuffCon Boys."

IPMSUSA Member 45680 

Posted by satch_ip on Sunday, January 24, 2010 9:14 PM

P-26 Peashooter count?  I got one for the Secret Santa GB so double dipping would be cool.

Satch

Posted by Aaronw on Monday, January 25, 2010 12:22 AM

A P-26 would be fine.

Well up to 4, hoping for a few more but if we can get at least 6 that should be enough to try and get started. Does early Feb work for you guys? 

Posted by jeaton01 on Tuesday, January 26, 2010 12:23 AM

I think I'd like to join this one, don't know what with yet.  Probably something civilian in the inter war years.

John

To see build logs for my models:  http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html

Posted by M1Carbine on Tuesday, January 26, 2010 1:02 AM

to bad our not going up to 1939, Id do m Brewster Buffalo F2A-2

Bob

Posted by Konigwolf13 on Tuesday, January 26, 2010 2:26 AM

I'm in, been itching to build a camel for while. Hmm what were the markings for 266 sqn? Whistling

Andrew

Posted by B17Pilot on Tuesday, January 26, 2010 8:28 AM

I got a Piper Cub that will work.

Posted by Aaronw on Tuesday, January 26, 2010 1:34 PM

Ok, looks like there are enough to get started, hopefully more will join in as it gets going.

Any preference for starting, do people want to just jump right in (Feb) or would you prefer some time to get things together (March)?

I didn't look at the whole list of aircraft, I would have thought the Buffalo would have squeeked in before 1939. The idea was to highlight early pioneering aviation and WW2 resulted in a massive jump in technology. I really don't want to cut out some of the late period transitional aircraft like the Buffalo.

We could relax the 1938 date to being first fight instead of in service and drop the prototype rule. That would also let in the early wildcats. If it lets in some shark mouth P-40s I can live with that.

So lets say, first flight of the prototype by 1938, and the first major version following that, so this would allow the F2A-2 Buffalo, F4F-3 Wildcat, P-40B Tomahawk etc.

Posted by M1Carbine on Tuesday, January 26, 2010 9:21 PM

Why Thank you Aronw, I really appreciate that.  Count me in

Tamiya Brewster Buffalo F2A-2 1/48

Posted by Aaronw on Thursday, January 28, 2010 10:16 PM

Ok, I've started a post for the group build. If I've listed you please check your entry and provide the scale and kit details when you can. Anyone interested and not listed please drop in to that thread with your details. I've gone ahead and set the dates for Feb 5 (a week from Friday) and the end date in October which provides plenty of time.

/forums/t/124992.aspx 

Posted by Aaronw on Monday, February 1, 2010 12:32 PM

Just giving this one last bump, 4 days to go.

Posted by Konigwolf13 on Monday, February 1, 2010 5:35 PM

Aaron, I'll confirm mine as a Eduard 1/48 Sopwith Camel with PE.

Andrew

Posted by Aaronw on Monday, February 1, 2010 8:24 PM

Got it updated, thanks.

Posted by Aaronw on Sunday, March 7, 2010 2:55 PM

and one more plug for the build.

We are a month in but I have only heard from a few of those who were interested. For those who said they were interested, if you just haven't started yet no problem but I wanted to give another bump to let you know its open if you missed it earlier. 

The GB is scheduled to run through October so plenty of time to join in if you haven't already. I've even made up 3 nice badges for participating. Big Smile

/forums/t/124992.aspx

Posted by hughes2682 on Sunday, March 7, 2010 8:22 PM

I've got a Wingnutwings Junkers J.1 if just started last week.  It flew 1917-1918.

Cheers

Dave

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/Aaronw/Groupbuilds/ClassicAviationGB2010bomb.jpg

With enough thrust, pigs fly just fine.

Posted by mike_espo on Monday, March 8, 2010 8:49 AM

Hey Guys, I hate to admit this, but I do not know what a group build is...Embarrassed My favorite period for modelling is the Golden Age. Cool

Currently, I am about 75% finished with my Academy 1/48 P-26 peashooter. I have in transit from Ebay:

1/48 Accurate Miniatures F3F-1

1/48 Classic Airframes F11C/BF2C-2 Goshawk

In my stash:

1/48 Academy P-35A and the Hobbycraft P-35 pursuit ships

1/48 Italeri Fiat Cr.42

1/48 CA Boeing P-12E pursuit ship

1/48 CA Curtiss BF2C-1

Hoping to obtain in the future:

1/48 CA A5M4 Claude

1/48 CA Boeing F4B4

1/48 CA Curtiss P-6E Pursuit ship

1/48 Kawasaki Ki-10

What do I have to do??

On the workbench:

Trumpeter 148 MiG -21F 

Posted by Aaronw on Monday, March 8, 2010 10:32 AM

Dave the Junkers would be fine, we started last month so starting last week is no problem, just take a photo of where you are at right now and start with that.

Mike a Group Build is basically just a shared work in progress post. They can focus on certain techniques (NMF, winter weathering, vacform kits) or a specific kit (Monogram 1/48 B-17G) but most of the time they just have a common theme (bombers, F-16s, War in the Pacific). 

Everybody has different reasons to join in, some like to collect the badges for their signature, many just like the subject so join in, and they are also a useful way to start building something new and different because there will be people to help with the special techniques involved with the model. During the Knights of the sky GB there were several new WW1 builders who took advantage of having a group of people who could help with the rigging. They are also a way to bring attention and hopefully inspire others to give a less popular subject a try. Mostly they are just supposed to be fun. It is very low key, you will not be graded. Big Smile

If you guys want to join in, just post what you are going to build in the GB thread I posted above and I'll add you.

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.