SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

Memory Lane...

4 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
Memory Lane...
Posted by DoogsATX on Tuesday, August 31, 2010 6:29 PM

My parents sent over a few pictures of the select cadre of models I built growing up that survived various jostlings, moves, roman candle attacks and other calamities to spend a happy retirement at their home in Arizona. It's been almost three years since I've been out there, and ever since I came back to modeling this summer I've been anxious to see my old builds so I could gauge my progress. Figured I'd share them here in case anyone else wants to do the same. I find the progression of abilities fascinating...it's always fun to see where someone started from.

Apologies in advance for the various states of disrepair. Arizona's lack of humidity apparently plays hell with CA and other adhesives over time.

This first batch was built when I was somewhere between 12-14

1/48 Academy (?) Spitfire Mk. XIV 

1/48 Monogram P-47D (I actually have one of these heading my way thanks to eBay. I'm super-eager to do a comparison)

1/48 A-10 Warthog. Not sure the make.

1/350 Tamiya USS New Jersey

1/350 Tamiya USS Enterprise

These last were built over winter breaks during my freshman and sophomore years of college. I spent these in Arizona, but my entire social network was in Dallas, so there was nothing to do but build...

1/48 Revell (?) P-47N Thunderbolt

1/48 Hasegawa A-7E Corsair II

And...here's where I'm at these days. Still have a long way to go, but it's amazing what ten years of maturity, the acquisition of some small degree of patience, and the internets can do.

On the Bench: 1/32 Trumpeter P-47 | 1/32 Hasegawa Bf 109G | 1/144 Eduard MiG-21MF x2

On Deck:  1/350 HMS Dreadnought

Blog/Completed Builds: doogsmodels.com

Posted by stikpusher on Tuesday, August 31, 2010 7:30 PM

Thanks for sharing! Your new works are really looking good!Yes And some of your older builds have held up better than mine from the same age of my life... LOL!Wink

F is for FIRE, That burns down the whole town!

U is for URANIUM... BOMBS!

N is for NO SURVIVORS...

- Plankton

LSM

Posted by jetmodeler on Thursday, September 2, 2010 6:23 AM

Its great to see how much you have progressed over the years. Thanks for sharing.

Posted by hutchdh on Sunday, September 5, 2010 7:44 PM

You have progressed nicely.  I had a hole stash of built kits I left at home when I joined the Air Force when I was 18.  I visited home about a year later to find all my stuff was tossed by my Dad!!!  He thought I was too big to keep "toys."

Speaking of memory lane...your thread got me to thinking of the best Christmas I had as a kid.  At about age 13 I received 13 plastic models...I was in heaven.  A good mixture of funny cars, original flying sub, sea lab, large revell stuka, and Gemini capsule....sigh, the joy filled hours I spent putting those together that year was priceless.

Hutch

On the Bench: 1:48 HobbyBoss Ta152-C; 1:48 & 1:72 Hasegawa F-104G NATO Bavaria

In queue: 1:48 Academy F-4B & a TBD Eric Hartmann bird

Recently completed: 1:32 Trumpeter P-51B

Posted by stikpusher on Monday, September 6, 2010 2:33 AM

Yeah most of my modles did nto survive my first enlistment either. Only a handful of my tanks wer salvagable. I kept many for years and ended up letting my kids play with them when they got bigger.

F is for FIRE, That burns down the whole town!

U is for URANIUM... BOMBS!

N is for NO SURVIVORS...

- Plankton

LSM

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.