SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

Two 1/48 Eagles in flight

4 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
Two 1/48 Eagles in flight
Posted by oortiz10 on Sunday, May 22, 2011 3:45 PM

Hey gang,

Just thought I’d share my latest project with you all.  Last year, a local military surplus store remodeled its site and turned some of its floor space into a pseudo-museum.  The proprietor is an old WWII vet who has spent the many years his store’s been open collecting military memorabilia.  When I learned the store was remodeling to better display its artifacts, I asked the staff if the store would be interested in displaying some of my kits.  I figured it’d give the visitors a good visual reference for some of the aircraft related stuff the museum has displayed, and since my storage and display space is limited, it’d give me a place to display my kits.

The staff agreed and wondered if I could build an F-15 to display alongside the museum’s F-15 ejection seat.  I agreed, and this is what I came up with.

The stand’s home made with some 4x4 pine shaped and attached to a pre-cut pine base I picked up at the local DIY store.  The whole thing was stained before the shaped acrylic rods were attached. 

One kit's Revell’s 1/48 F-15E, built OOB using the kit’s decals and painted with MM enamels.  The pilots are Hase’ pilots that were hacked up and repositioned, and are held in place with masking tape seat belts.   

This is Tamiya’s 1/48 –C boxing built mostly OOB.  I used TwoBobs decals and a spare set of Revell intake trunks and exhausts on it.  This jet’s painted with MM enamels and acrylics.  I used another Hase’ pilot in this one too.  This pilot's also strapped in with tape 'belts.    

I know that the pilots' helmets aren't current and correct, but I used what I had.  As far as the color goes, I wanted something that would add a little contrast and draw the eye. 

Anyway, let me know what you guys think.  I’d be interested to hear your feedback.  Thanks for looking!

Cheers,

-O

-It's Omar, but they call me "O".

Posted by spadx111 on Sunday, May 22, 2011 3:54 PM

nice i like it great pics

Ron

Posted by Hans von Hammer on Sunday, May 22, 2011 5:19 PM

Only thing I can think of is that I'd like to see them photographed aganst a sky...

Sure hope those models are gonna be protected somehow while on display, too..

Posted by Bronto on Sunday, May 22, 2011 5:26 PM

Nice display stand.  I hope it is steady or protected enough on display as it would be a shame if some one knocked over your work.

Posted by oortiz10 on Sunday, May 22, 2011 11:09 PM

Thanks for the compliments gang!

In regards to the stand, it’s actually very stable.  It’s only 3’ tall from the base to the top of the post.  I decided to keep it short to keep the CG low and to keep it “bottom heavy.”  The post’s set back from the base’s center line to counterbalance the weight of the jets on the end of their rods.  That way most of the weight’s almost directly over the center of the circular base.  It’s going to be set away from a traffic area, so while visible to the public from all angles, it won’t be accessible.

Thanks for looking and, again, thanks for the kudos!

Cheers,

-O

-It's Omar, but they call me "O".

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.