SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

My air compressor is dying!

12 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
My air compressor is dying!
Posted by Phantom Fan on Monday, July 11, 2011 8:40 AM

Last week my old air compressor, which I've had for about 15 years, was working fine throughout the Mig-27 I was working on. Then I switched over to the XF-109 & the compressor started sputtering & struggling, and hasn't recovered since. Should I try to see if it can get repaired, or would it be cheaper to get a "pre-owned" compressor from Craigslist or eBay? Could it be something as simple as dust & gunk that I could try to clean out myself?

Posted by SuppressionFire on Monday, July 11, 2011 8:45 AM

Check the oil, change it if it looks anything but a light honey color.

Dump the moisture out of the tank (usually a valve at the bottom)

If belt driven try running it without the belt to see if the issue is the motor or not.

Same with the air intake, clean the element out & replace if necessary.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y211/razordws/GB%20Badges/WMIIIGBsmall.jpg

Dre
Posted by Dre on Monday, July 11, 2011 9:08 AM

For the cost of a high-end kit (roughly $60), I recently bought a 1-gallon pancake Campbell-Hausfeld compressor from WalMart that includes an output regulator.  it's not the best hobby compressor out there, but it does the job quite well.  

But...   it is very loud, so take that into consideration as well.

Posted by Reasoned on Monday, July 11, 2011 9:45 AM

Also take a look at Harbor Freight, they have a 1/5hp tankless, adj regulator, moisture trap and quiet as can be for $80+/-.

Science is the pursiut of knowledge, faith is the pursuit of wisdom.  Peace be with you.

On the Tarmac: 1/48 Revell P-38

In the Hanger: A bunch of kits

Posted by Tojo72 on Monday, July 11, 2011 9:50 AM

I did okay with Bearair

Posted by paintsniffer on Monday, July 11, 2011 9:57 AM

My Paasche compressor cost me about $130. Assuming it lives 5-10 years that is a deal. I'd say buy a new one, it will probably make you wonder why you kept the old one so long.

Excuse me.. Is that an Uzi?

Posted by montague on Wednesday, July 13, 2011 12:55 AM

I have an Iwata compressor that also has an air tank and I am very happy!

Posted by Don Stauffer on Wednesday, July 13, 2011 8:51 AM

I think mine is dying too. It is getting a knock- sounds like a rod knock.  It has always been noisy and I have been considering getting a CO2 setup.  With the current compressor sounding like it is dying I am getting more interested in CO2.  I understand I will need new regulator because of thread differences or something.  Is there someone in the group that uses CO2 that can fill us in on what we need to go that way?

Don Stauffer in Minnesota

Posted by El Taino on Wednesday, July 13, 2011 9:02 AM

My Paasche compressor has been 3 times back for replacement and I already got tired of spending $14 bucks for priority mail flat rate shipping back to them. The last one I swear, the case of the compressor still smells like fresh paint and is already dead. I have a 3 gallon noisy Craftman. I will either plumb myself the copper tubing thru the floor to my modeling studio or will go the CO2 route.

Posted by El Taino on Wednesday, July 13, 2011 9:07 AM

If it is a 15 years old compressor it might still be worth to bring it back to life. I have a Testors made by Badger almost as old and never had any issues with it. Those new ones are made in China like for $5 bucks. No wonder they send a new one no questions asked.

Posted by Milairjunkie on Wednesday, July 13, 2011 9:47 AM

Don Stauffer

I think mine is dying too. It is getting a knock- sounds like a rod knock.  It has always been noisy and I have been considering getting a CO2 setup.  With the current compressor sounding like it is dying I am getting more interested in CO2.  I understand I will need new regulator because of thread differences or something.  Is there someone in the group that uses CO2 that can fill us in on what we need to go that way?

All you really need is a CO2 regulator & an adapter from it's outlet to suit your hose. I appreciate it's common sense, but CO2 bottles need to be secured in their operating / storage position by a chain or bracket arrangement

A few things to keep in mind though;

Two types of CO2 bottle are available (excluding size variation), one with a dip tube which gives liquid CO2  which is no use for airbrushing & one without a dip tube which gives gaseous CO2 just like you need.

CO2 regulators are usually calibrated in flow/Min at the output, which isn't exactly what airbrushers expect - shop about & see if you can get one calibrated in PSI.

Most airbrush equipment has a recommended maximum input pressure of 50>60psi, but CO2 cylinders are capable of far higher output pressure, meaning that the possibility of equipment overpressure (Boom) exists  - again if you shop around you might be able to find someone who is selling regulators with a reduced output.

We are only a small outfit, but sell "airbrushing specific" CO2 regulators with limited output & PSI output gages, so I imagine somewhere in the US there must be someone selling the likes.

Posted by Phantom Fan on Wednesday, July 13, 2011 12:16 PM

Well, I tried to take it apart & could only get half of the screws out. I gave it a few blasts with dust buster spray & that seems to do the trick, but after ten minutes, it started sputtering again. So it looks like I'll have to get a new one. This old one was a Paasche D-500, which I've seen on Ebay for around $50, which isn't too bad given my budget. Anyone recommend another model within my price range?

Posted by keilau on Tuesday, July 19, 2011 6:41 AM

Phantom Fan

Well, I tried to take it apart & could only get half of the screws out. I gave it a few blasts with dust buster spray & that seems to do the trick, but after ten minutes, it started sputtering again. So it looks like I'll have to get a new one. This old one was a Paasche D-500, which I've seen on Ebay for around $50, which isn't too bad given my budget. Anyone recommend another model within my price range?

After 15 years, you need a new comperssor. What is your price range?

Modern compressor relies on a very thin telfon type coating on the cylinder and piston wall to keep it cool and quiet. The coatings wears out. A precision made compressor runs quieter, cooler and lasts a lot longer.

I would have perfer the Sparmax or Iwata compressor due to their established track record for the low end offerings in the $200-300 range. See the recent posts on compressor suggestions.

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.