SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

How about an "open call" B-36 Group Build and get those dusty kits off the shelf?

64 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
How about an "open call" B-36 Group Build and get those dusty kits off the shelf?
Posted by lajntx on Sunday, November 13, 2011 1:56 AM

Ive read all over the internet... including here... about B-36 kits being stuck in dark closets collecting dust with plans on building them going back as far as 30 years. With that being said, I thought I would test the waters here and see how many would be interested in doing an open call B-36 Group Build?

Since this is a large build, very time consuming, and sometimes intimidating. I`d like to "propose" the following special rules for a start :

1. No time limits, it would be ongoing

2. Already started ( at any stage ) and even completed works would be allowed to be entered

3. Any B-36 line, scale, any manufacturer -including scratch build, and any build types: stock, alternative history, or just personal taste

This would be a good way to exhange ideas, those that have already built theirs could give tips, and a great way to exchange excess spare parts to those that need them.

Who`s interested?

B-36 Peacemaker Builds 

On the Bench: B-36 paint test  fusealge & RB-36E assembly test build

In Que: YB-36 Conversion Build & B-36 carries B-58 Airframe to Wright Patterson

Conceptual Planning: RB-36 X-15 Mothership

Posted by sub revolution on Sunday, November 13, 2011 2:54 AM

Why not? It's been done with other subjects. Someday I would like to get around to one.

NEW SIG

Posted by deattilio on Sunday, November 13, 2011 3:03 PM

Count me in!  I have the 1/181 Revell Authentic Kit Air Power B-36 Jet-Prop Bomber that has been languishing in an unfinished state for many many months now.  I managed to snag it for a reasonable price on E-Bay but the build paused as I accumulated references to determine the demarcation lines of the varying metal skins along with some accurate markings.  Well, my bookshelf and hobby desk have occupants that have not born any results in the display area  this should nudge the efforts!

WIP:
Trying to get my hobby stuff sorted - just moved and still unpacking.

"Gator, Green Catskill....Charlie On Time"

Posted by Hans von Hammer on Sunday, November 13, 2011 3:16 PM

Believe it or not, that's the ONE "Superscale" Monogram kit I've passed up and had no interest in buying.. (I got 2 B-52s as gifts, built both, back in the 70s....)

Only passing it up because it's in 1/72 scale, so it doesn't "fit" with the rest of thier 1/48th scale bombers.. Bummer, too..

I'll just have to build it "vicariously" through y'all.. Maybe I can help with research..

• From: State of Mississippi. State motto: Virtute et armis (By valor and arms)
Posted by mississippivol on Sunday, November 13, 2011 8:37 PM

After building mine, Hans, I understand why it isn't in 1/48th!

It's a big beastie, but refreshingly uncomplicated.

Glenn

Posted by Cadet Chuck on Sunday, November 13, 2011 8:53 PM

I built the 1/72 Monogram- lousy kit for fit and design, and just too dang big.  I hung it over my basement workbench where no one can see it, I occasionally glance up at it.  Waste of time and paint, my opinion.

Gimme a pigfoot, and a bottle of beer...

Posted by Reasoned on Sunday, November 13, 2011 9:20 PM

Gee Chuck, thanks for throwing cold water on this.  Big Smile I've had this big old hunker sitting in my stash for months (bought it from a LHS going out of business sale) thinking I was going to do it for the "Too Many Props GB" and may yet.  Suppose I can dual enroll GB?  And Hans,  what's with the cold shoulder for this Monogram monster, think of all the gizmology you could stick in her! Stick out tongue

Science is the pursiut of knowledge, faith is the pursuit of wisdom.  Peace be with you.

On the Tarmac: 1/48 Revell P-38

In the Hanger: A bunch of kits

Posted by lajntx on Sunday, November 13, 2011 10:10 PM

Hi Sub, This would be a good reason to take your big toe out of the water and jump on in Wink

B-36 Peacemaker Builds 

Posted by lajntx on Sunday, November 13, 2011 10:12 PM

Welcome aboard Deattilio!

We`ll get started soon. For now lets guage interest and kick around a few ideas. Smile

B-36 Peacemaker Builds 

Posted by lajntx on Sunday, November 13, 2011 10:22 PM

Hans von Hammer

Believe it or not, that's the ONE "Superscale" Monogram kit I've passed up and had no interest in buying.. (I got 2 B-52s as gifts, built both, back in the 70s....)

Only passing it up because it's in 1/72 scale, so it doesn't "fit" with the rest of thier 1/48th scale bombers.. Bummer, too..

I'll just have to build it "vicariously" through y'all.. Maybe I can help with research..

Oh Hans you know you want too. You cant resist the power of the Biggest Bomber that ever flew.... Even in just 1/72, it`s still big enough to scare most other 1/48 models who "think" they are scarey when they put on their shark teeth noseart decal. LOL

You are more than welcome to help with research. In fact, I think most everyone else would agree with you being "drafted" if you didnt volunteer in the first place Wink

With that being said.... Here are your wings:

B-36 Peacemaker Builds 

Posted by lajntx on Sunday, November 13, 2011 10:31 PM

mississippivol

After building mine, Hans, I understand why it isn't in 1/48th!

It's a big beastie, but refreshingly uncomplicated.

Glenn

Hi Glenn, and you are certainly more than welcome to join to offer insite-- or if you find the urge: Get one off ebay and build another one so yours wont be alone. lol

One of the things I am hoping to accomplish with this by allowing builds already completed/started at any level is to allow a way with those who have planes with some age to them to be able to find parts that may have broken off and lost over time

Why stop at 1/48? This guy didnt.... and he plans to fly the thing in 2012!

http://www.atwoodaviation.net/b-36d.htm

B-36 Peacemaker Builds 

Posted by lajntx on Sunday, November 13, 2011 10:38 PM

Cadet Chuck
I built the 1/72 Monogram- lousy kit for fit and design, and just too dang big.  I hung it over my basement workbench where no one can see it, I occasionally glance up at it.  Waste of time and paint, my opinion.

Having a bad day there Chuck? Wink

B-36 Peacemaker Builds 

Posted by lajntx on Sunday, November 13, 2011 10:46 PM

Reasoned
I've had this big old hunker sitting in my stash for months (bought it from a LHS going out of business sale) thinking I was going to do it for the "Too Many Props GB" and may yet.  Suppose I can dual enroll GB?  And Hans,  what's with the cold shoulder for this Monogram monster, think of all the gizmology you could stick in her! Stick out tongue 

Hi Reasoned,

I see no reason why you cant do a dual group build seeing this one is open call to all irreguardless of where they are in their builds.... even if they would rather not build but want to participate.

Lets all talk here for a few weeks, kick around some ideas, see who else is interested. And draft those that didnt volunteer Big Smile

B-36 Peacemaker Builds 

Posted by lajntx on Monday, November 14, 2011 12:58 AM

Here is an early release of  the official Badges. Feel free to resize as necessary:

Supporting Member:

Building Member:

For those that prefer no member status - or wish to add their own label:

B-36 Peacemaker Builds 

Posted by Kugai on Monday, November 14, 2011 1:31 AM

I have one of the old 1:72 kits that a fellow kitbuilder gave me about 10 years ago.  I don't know how old the kit itself is, but the info on the box states that it was apparently the biggest plastic kit ever made at the time and the guy in one of the pics holding a completed model looks tragically typical for the 80s.

I'll probably join this after I get a few other projects done.  To prepare for that, does anyone have tips on where to get any decals to replace the originals from the kit that are probably shot?  I also had the idea of adding some bomb bay detail to show the plane with a nuclear load, so tips on any sources for AM parts for that idea would be appreciated.

http://i712.photobucket.com/albums/ww122/randysmodels/No%20After%20Market%20Build%20Group/Group%20Badge/GBbadge2.jpghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y211/razordws/GB%20Badges/WMIIIGBsmall.jpg

Posted by Hans von Hammer on Monday, November 14, 2011 7:40 AM

lajntx

Cadet Chuck:

Having a bad day there Chuck? Wink

Nah.. He always says stuff like that about Monogram kits... Whistling

And Hans,  what's with the cold shoulder for this Monogram monster, think of all the gizmology you could stick in her!

Like I said, it's just the wrong scale for me... Nothing else wrong with it that I know of, regardless of what Chuck says...  As for gizmo-ing it, well... I could, but most would be unseen, and since I only do dioramas, I'd have to build all the support equipment for it, find figures that didn't suck (hard to do in 1/72 without mucho conversion, and I don't like converting figures that small either), and it'd have an even bigger footprint than were it just to sit on the shelf or hang...  

Oh Hans you know you want too. You cant resist the power of the Biggest Bomber that ever flew.... Even in just 1/72, it`s still big enough to scare most other 1/48 models who "think" they are scarey when they put on their shark teeth noseart decal. LOL

You are more than welcome to help with research. In fact, I think most everyone else would agree with you being "drafted" if you didnt volunteer in the first place.

There's one up at the LHS that hasn't moved in the six years I've been going there, so if I ever get the urge to change m' mind I know where to go...  It's priced cheap enough and is the early 1980s boxing, so I may buy it just for the collector value...

Posted by lajntx on Monday, November 14, 2011 9:28 AM

Kugai

I'll probably join this after I get a few other projects done.  To prepare for that, does anyone have tips on where to get any decals to replace the originals from the kit that are probably shot?  I also had the idea of adding some bomb bay detail to show the plane with a nuclear load, so tips on any sources for AM parts for that idea would be appreciated.

Hi Kugi,

As far as decals go. There are very few aftermarket options right now for a 1/72 B-36. Warbird Decals does put out a sheet if you want to backdate the kit to a B-36A or a B-36B. Another option is to make your own decals. I do have several 1:72 kits. Some of which are going to be custom builds, and I would be more than happy to send you the stock decals out of one of those if you were wanting some decals that were more time frame appropriate for a stock kit.

You can get the nuclear bombs from spectre resinss, but the internal bomb bay componets you will have to custom build.

I`m at work right now, and I will post links when I get home this evening. Just let me know on the decal sheet.

B-36 Peacemaker Builds 

Posted by lajntx on Monday, November 14, 2011 9:32 AM

Hans:

A vintage stock factory sealed 1980 1/72 kit in great condition still factory sealed goes for $50 +/- $10 on ebay. Average shipping charge in the US is $15 +/-$3. If i`s "cheap" you might want to snatch it and turn a quick buck on ebay Wink

B-36 Peacemaker Builds 

Posted by Hans von Hammer on Monday, November 14, 2011 11:24 AM

Gotta wait for a payday, regardless...  But I was thinking about it, and as I thought about it, decided to check the collector prices on Old Model Kits for that boxing and, long story short, I called Doug up at the hobby shop and told him to put the Peacemaker on "Layaway" for me...

Posted by Cadet Chuck on Monday, November 14, 2011 1:43 PM

Hey, guys, I want to apologize.  I guess I was just having a bad day, and I didn't mean to rain on anyone's parade. 

I must say it is an impressive kit due to its size, and a good modeler can do it justice.

Chuck

Gimme a pigfoot, and a bottle of beer...

Posted by bondoman on Monday, November 14, 2011 2:44 PM

Nah Chuck, I'm pretty much with you, except lot's of kits are that way.

As for me, once was enough. It was fun, the kit's an RB-36 and there's aq bunch of mods to do.

It also has an inherent flaw the way that the wings don't come together over the top much.

But have fun guys. Required viewing of course is "Strategic Air Command". Fast F past the very annoying June Allyson, but watch for Stan Musial in the opening scene.

Required purchase; "Magnesium Overcast" by Jenkins. Has it all.

Posted by Reasoned on Monday, November 14, 2011 7:12 PM

Hans von Hammer

But I was thinking about it, and as I thought about it, decided to check the collector prices on Old Model Kits for that boxing and, long story short, I called Doug up at the hobby shop and told him to put the Peacemaker on "Layaway" for me...

lol!

Science is the pursiut of knowledge, faith is the pursuit of wisdom.  Peace be with you.

On the Tarmac: 1/48 Revell P-38

In the Hanger: A bunch of kits

Posted by troublemaker66 on Monday, November 14, 2011 9:06 PM

I have one of these puppies and I`m also in the way too many props GB so I`m in too.

Len Pytlewski

Posted by lajntx on Monday, November 14, 2011 10:08 PM

Cadet Chuck

Hey, guys, I want to apologize.  I guess I was just having a bad day, and I didn't mean to rain on anyone's parade. 

I must say it is an impressive kit due to its size, and a good modeler can do it justice.

Chuck

Thats ok Chuck, everyone has a bad day. This GB is also for those that have already completed theirs as well. You are certainly more than welcome to join when it starts and share your build and suggestions you have with this monster. Big Smile

B-36 Peacemaker Builds 

Posted by lajntx on Monday, November 14, 2011 10:12 PM

bondoman

Nah Chuck, I'm pretty much with you, except lot's of kits are that way.

As for me, once was enough. It was fun, the kit's an RB-36 and there's aq bunch of mods to do.

It also has an inherent flaw the way that the wings don't come together over the top much.

But have fun guys. Required viewing of course is "Strategic Air Command". Fast F past the very annoying June Allyson, but watch for Stan Musial in the opening scene.

Required purchase; "Magnesium Overcast" by Jenkins. Has it all.

Hi Bondoman. You are still welcome to join when we start because completed works are allowed as well. You`re right about the wings, not much anyone can do about it other than recast the thing. Adding the walkway strips does hid that flaw to the naked untrained eye... a little

Anyways, would love to have you join when the group starts and have you share you experiences and pictures if you feel like it.

B-36 Peacemaker Builds 

Posted by lajntx on Monday, November 14, 2011 10:16 PM

Hans von Hammer

Gotta wait for a payday, regardless...  But I was thinking about it, and as I thought about it, decided to check the collector prices on Old Model Kits for that boxing and, long story short, I called Doug up at the hobby shop and told him to put the Peacemaker on "Layaway" for me...

Hans...

FYI... If you list it on ebay have it end on a thursday night between 9 & 10pm Pacific time. That seems to be the "sweet spot" for selling a 1/72 B-36 kit of any release. Its often the difference between a winning bid of $27.54 vs $38.50 on just an average condition kit that has been opened.

B-36 Peacemaker Builds 

Posted by lajntx on Monday, November 14, 2011 10:21 PM

troublemaker66

I have one of these puppies and I`m also in the way too many props GB so I`m in too.

Welcome aboard troublemaker. Ive got a co-worker whom I am selling a kit too that will be joining us, plus I`m hoping to entice several other people whom are on the various B-36 forums I am a part of. I`m Going to try and get some of my parts suppliers to join too. Hopefully when we start in a couple of weeks we`ll have several people building - or planning to build, hopefully several that have already completed this whom can give pointers, plus anyone else whom happens to "walk in" after we start.

B-36 Peacemaker Builds 

Posted by lajntx on Monday, November 14, 2011 11:01 PM

Here is another interesting tid bit for those interested in buying a 1/72 kit.....

If at all possible try to buy this one:

Here is why, the decal sheet already includes the walkway stripes and common stencils for a B-36:

If you buy any other kit and want to put in that detail, you will have to spend about another $15-$25 on this from Warbird:

B-36 Peacemaker Builds 

Posted by lajntx on Monday, November 14, 2011 11:32 PM

Kugai

I have one of the old 1:72 kits that a fellow kitbuilder gave me about 10 years ago.  I don't know how old the kit itself is, but the info on the box states that it was apparently the biggest plastic kit ever made at the time and the guy in one of the pics holding a completed model looks tragically typical for the 80s.

Hi Again Kugi, here is some info for you....

This was the original kit that was released in 1980

The was the first Re-release in 1989:

Your original decal sheet should have looked like this:

As you can see, not much choice there in terms of a decal. You can buy this Warbirds Decal 72-002 which will give you a choice of 4 different builds. about $15-$25 with shipping/taxes depending where you get it:

Warbirds Decals 72-002 -
B-36A ‘City of Fort Worth’ 44-92015 7thBG 8thAF Carswell AFB
RB-36E 44-92020 72nd BS 15thAF Travis AFB
B-36B 44-92028 7th BG 8thAF Carswell AFB
B-36D 44-92065 356thBS 42ndBW Loring AFB

I have spare ones that look like these that came in the 1997 re-release kits which are still in pristine shape I could mail one to you if you wanted to save some $$$

Revell'ogram 5710 -
RB-36H 51-13733 28thSRW Ellesworth AFB
B-36H 51-5705 7thBW 8thAF Carswell AFB

For your nuclear Bombs.

MK-39, MK-17/24, and MK-6`s which were carried on the B-36`s.

This supplier sells them in 1/72 scale, be sure to add the shipping charges if you pay them by paypal:

http://millcreekconsultants.com/SR-N1.html

No supplier sells the internal Bomb bay componets. You can get that detail from this book:

B-36 Peacemaker in detail & scale - D&S Vol. 47.

Watch for it on ebay. Amazon is very $$$$$$. I got mine for $20ish with shipping from ebay

B-36 Peacemaker Builds 

Posted by Kugai on Tuesday, November 15, 2011 4:36 AM

Thanks for the info.  I'll need a little time to decide on the decals before making a decision there, but will check out the sources for the bombs asap.

As for the bay detail, I figured as much.  The idea used to seem like it would be too much to try, but I'm feeling a little more ambitious since I got to experiment on my project for the No Aftermarket GB.  Since the Air Force Museum is just a few hours away and I've meant to go there soon anyway, I'll probably get reference pics for this and a few other projects at the same time ( and give a heads-up so that anyone else who'd like some reference pics can send "shopping lists" ).

http://i712.photobucket.com/albums/ww122/randysmodels/No%20After%20Market%20Build%20Group/Group%20Badge/GBbadge2.jpghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y211/razordws/GB%20Badges/WMIIIGBsmall.jpg

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.