SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

Kit Bash of a Visible V8 Engine

381 views
4 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • Member since
    March, 2018
Kit Bash of a Visible V8 Engine
Posted by Geokop on Tuesday, March 06, 2018 11:57 PM

Hi Everyone, I am cannibalizing all of the electrical components of my 1975 Renwal Visible V8 Engine and am installing them into one of the new "dumbed down", mechanical-only Revell kits. The drive motor, spark plugs, working distributor with the necessary gears, etc.

One kind of big problem....a wire broke off one of the red grain -of- wheat bulbs for the spark plugs. PLEASE help and tell me what size, voltage, specification bulb should I look for in a replacement? As you all likely know, the model is powered by two sized "C" 1.5 volt batteries. What are my options for a replacement for this bulb? Are there new, more efficient/ reliable bulbs that will fit and work? Any idea where a replacement can be found? eBay?  I am VERY near the end of assembly of this model with all subassemblies finished and looking beautiful. I can't quit now. THANK YOU.

  • Member since
    March, 2018
Posted by Geokop on Wednesday, March 07, 2018 11:53 AM

HiGMorrison, You're a lifesaver. I checked late last night on eBay and missed this one. Thank you so very much! I only need one, but will likely order eight and use them, saving the originals as spares. Thanks again!

GMorrison
  • Member since
    September, 2012
Posted by GMorrison on Wednesday, March 07, 2018 12:13 PM

You're more than welcome. And welcome aboard. I like to restore toylike models, such as the old gas station give aways. There's a lot out there, it's fun.

  • Member since
    March, 2018
Posted by Geokop on Thursday, March 08, 2018 10:16 PM

GMorrison

You're more than welcome. And welcome aboard. I like to restore toylike models, such as the old gas station give aways. There's a lot out there, it's fun.

 

Thank you. My parents built me a Visible V8 when I was a kid in 1968 or so. I built one in 1975 that ran pretty well but lacked attention to detail, fit, and finish. I was only 15 at the time. For this new one, I pulled out all the stops...sealed all seams and filled imperfections in the fit of the pistons,  transmission, all manifolds, the carburetor, the fuel, water, and oil pumps with white Squadron putty, primed and either hand brushed or spray painted these and other parts, etc. It's all finished except for the spark plug wiring; I hope the distributor doesn't give me fits. Besides the electrical components, a handful of parts from the 1975 engine were good enough to be cleaned, detailed and used on this new build. 

I honestly must have close to 100 hours on this project, and it's been frustrating (the model did not fit together well in some areas,  requiring much sanding and filing of flash and heavy build-up of extra plastic where surfaces mate, especially with the clear pieces of the cylinder walls and the cylinder heads) yet at the same time it's been very relaxing. Three or four hours would pass in the blink of an eye when I was concentrating on something. Maybe my next project will be an old Renwal Visible Wankel kit, if I can find one, in the Fall! I'll try to post photos of this model in about a week when it's finished. Must wait on those new bulbs. Now to decide if I'm going to use all eight new ones, or use the seven good original bulbs and one new one. Thanks again!

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

SEARCH FORUMS

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.