So while taking a break from my 4 kit Rudel build, i am easing off a bit and doing 3 He 162 kits. But where as the Rudel build has been on the burner for the best part of 20 years, this one has only be an idea for 18 months. After doimng my first, and up till now only 1/32nd kit, a Bf 109, i thought it would be interesting to build 2 kits of the same subject in 2 differant scales. My main scale 1/72nd and my occasional one, 1/32nd. I kew i wanted my next 32nd kit to be a jet and so it made sense to go for the 32nd kit that was my first addition, Revell He 162. and so that meant also building Dragons 1/72nd version.
But that was not all. Earlier in 2015 i had built the HPH 1/18th DB 605 engine and even then i knew i wanted to do their BMW 003 engine, as used in the He 162. So soon after decideing to build the 2 kits, i figured i migt as well make it 3 and add the engine.
I was planning on doing this last year. But not having the time to fit it in combinded with not having the engine kit meant i had to put it off. Finally having got the engine in Dec, i decided this was going to be an early build this year.
The plan is to work on both aircraft in the same way as i am with the Rudel build, working on the 72nd to a certain stage, then the 32nd and then painting. And i'll put one or two nights ashide each wek for the engine.
As with most aircraft builds, i started with the cockpits. For the Dragon, i am adding a resin pit from pavla. Unlike resin ones from companies like Aires, this has no PE, but i do have an Eduard PE set i can use if needed.
And on the larger kit, i am useing the Eduard Big Ed set. I got all this before i discovered HGW but i decided to stick with what i have, PE belts and all.
The side walls are a good example of PE not being the right option. The molded on kit sidewalls looked more like the real thing than the PE does which is to flat. But i didn't spot this until after i started sanding. There is still the pre coloured buts to add after painting and weathering.
I do rather like the ejection seat and its spports with this PE set.
And then off to the paint booth for some primer and RLM 66.
And while that was dring, i started on the big engine. Most of the main body is together.
And the sub assembelies are cleaned up and ready for painting which i will do before fitting.
Next up will be getting some primer on the engine and some washes and dry brushing in the pits before adding the finer details and getting the fuselages together.
More soon. Thanks for looking and all comments welcome as always.