Hello all, having just finished the new Eduard Spit. MK IX, I find myself in a Luftwaffe mood, particularly a Messerschmitt. I've built Hasegawa's G-6 and G-14 and I've had this G-2 in the stash glaring at me for quite a while now. A look at the sprues, specifically how the cowl goes together, its appears to be a slightly different kit than the other two (the decal sheet says 1991). I think its earlier but I could be wrong. This particular box comes with plenty of nice scheme options, to include Steinhoff, Trautloff and Gunther Rall's JG 52 "Black 13" from 1942. I've always been intrigued by Rall's combat history, having chalked up 275 kills, and he seemed like a really nice guy in all of his interviews as well. Its time a pay homage.
I started with the cockpit. I already had a True Details G-1 thru 4 cockpit in my resin stash, so I decided to utilize it. These are nicely detailed and fairy cheap too. To give you an idea of the difference between True Details example and the kit parts, heres a few pics before paint. I think in the case of Hasegawa's 109, which is pretty spartan, its worth the supplement.
The "stock" cockpit.....
Now the True Details version....
I don't know if you can really tell from the pics, but the True Details example is far more detailed, especially the side walls. I also like the diagram sheet that TD supplies with all of the parts in the appropriate color (below). I don't know how accurate they are (that prominent fuel line that runs along the starboard side is supposed to be yellow in the G I think), but its a great starting point.
Well, I preshaded everything XF-1 Flat Black and the cockpit was then painted RLM 66. To represent this, I sprayed Tamiya XF-63 German Grey cut with bit of XF-53 Neutral Grey to lighten it up just a bit. I then hand paint all of the details the appropriate colors using the above picture above as a loose reference. I normally try to find some PE for instrument panels because I love the detail they tend to present, but this time I went the old fashioned route. I reasoned that the 109 IP wasn't all that complicated, and I definitely could use the drybrushing practice. I painted the bezels XF-1 and drybrushed everything Floquil Old Silver. I figure I'll give it a wash, add epoxy for glass lenses, then call it finished.
Here where I left off. Its still needs some postshading to dirty it up a bit, a Testors Gloss Coat, then a "Detailer" wash followed up with a Testor's Dull Coat. More to come soon.