What kind of airbrush and compressor do you use? My compressor died tonight and and I'm going to have find a replacement.
Thanks for the compliments. Steve, I use a Thayer Chandler Omni 4000 which is a double action gravity fed airbrush. I like it because it has a nice sized cup with lid and it only needs one needle for everything. I need the lid...trust me....
My compressor is a Silentaire Scorpion II which is an extremely touchy subject with me, but since you asked (LOL). Its nice when it's working properly, but that is getting rare. I'm on my second one. My first one just stopped working one day and I chalked it up to age. This new one is now starting to have problems with the auto shut off. It just runs and runs and I usually have to manually shut it off. Of course the problems with the new one started just outside of the warranty period and Silentaire is unfortunately lacking in the customer service area. They told me to ship it back (on my dime) for repairs, but cautioned that any further damage I would have to be responsible for....well laddy friggin' da!. I even told them this was the second one I've had problems with. I don't know, since I've dumped almost $500.00 into their company you would think they would comp me a new one....thats a big negative. Silentaire got their last dime from me... Thanks but no thanks. I will perhaps look at other brands with similar features now.
Now that I'm done ranting, I got some more work done last night. One of the weaknesses of the Tamiya P-51, both B and D (IMO) is the radiator intake/exhaust fuselage seam. I hate it. It goes right through the detail in this area so it requires alot of sanding and rescribing...(I know..cry me river...real modeling skill required). Anyways, I have a way to sort of deal with it and get acceptable results. I tape off around the seam to save as much detail as possible then sand the seam out. I then rescribe the lost panel lines. Here's were I change it up a bit. I always lose two engraved panels (boxes) in this process, a square with a circle in the middle and triangle with 4 rivet holes ). My solution? I merely go back and replace them with thin Evergreen sheet styrene glued onto the surface to replicate the lost detail (see pic below). It's obviously not that accurate but it looks a heck of alot better than before. Also, the little vent at the back got a styrere blanking plate to hide the seam which is hard to sand out.
Now after primer (I'm please with how this area looks now)....
Overstreet's P-51 was apparently Olive Drab or maybe RAF Dark Green over Natural metal. I want to portray it at the time of the Eiffel tower incident which was likely at the end of June, therefore, its reasonable to think it only had partial invasion stripes at that point. I also remember reading that the plane was eventually fitted with the Malcomb hood, but I don't know when. I suppose I have some decisions to make. I did find the following information over at Bud Anderson's website which I will use as a partial roadmap. I have a feeling this turkey will be getting a healthy dose of artistic licensing but I will keep digging.
Other than what I already mentioned, the frame was a breeze. I did however find that upper engine panel was a tad undersized and left slight step on top. i decided not to mess with it. I'm ready for primer.
It was primed with Alclad Grey Micro filler and the seams were checked. This is my go-to primer for just about everything. I did drill out the 50 cals instead of replacing them on this one. i guess I was being lazy.
I then gave the frame a coat of Alclad Duraluminum as the base shade. Here's where I left off until I can figure out what i'm going to do reference the invasion stripes and such...