Moving right along on this it is time for painting.
Up to this point not much was for sure on this build. I knew I wanted to build it so I could tackle the cammo. As I feel that is one of the major weaknesses I have in this hobby I wanted to challenge myself. Once the construction was finished some choices were needed. Just how did I want to portray this subject. It did not take long for the thought process to hone onto the choice. Something like a gate guard. Weathered but not too much. Still standing proudly as a reminder of its service.
I just had to go for it.
First was to present in that fashion I needed to try to get a handle on something I had failed with multiple times. Paint chipping. My other attempts ended with failure to get it right and substituting some other technique to get a worn look.
First is the rust, how? I sprayed Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer and then mixed in Testor Light Tan to highlight.
I let this dry overnight.
Now is the tricky part. This is where the failures of the past haunted me. I applied hairspray over the entire surface, or so I thought. I let this dry and then began the cammo pattern. The overall coat of Vallejo Olive Drab Primer was first. The instructions called for Khaki but the only one I had in the paint supply was badly neglected and had dried to a point of unusable. I went with the second choice. Gunze Sanyo Dark Earth provided the brown. Tamiya Buff and Apple Barrel (Walmart craft water based Acrylic) were used as well.
Once each dried to the touch I began the next. Everything I had seen on this method said to work on the chipping before the paint fully cured. With that in mind I waited until all the paints were dry to the touch and then out came the water and brushes for the chipping.
Currently she sits drying from the gloss coat. I plan to begin oil work once that dries.
Now lets critique a bit. I do not like the paint work. I rushed through the steps and did a poor job with it. I went freehand with the cammo and to be honest it only resembles the instruction call outs vaguely. I am pretty happy with the chipping though. I tried to keep a light approach and kept the chips and paint peeling to areas that would have seen wear and tear and where rust would naturally occur.
All comments, critiques, and criticism are requested.