SEARCH FINESCALE.COM

Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

Surface to Air missile kits in 1:72-1:76....can anyone help???

6156 views
12 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • Member since
    August, 2003
Surface to Air missile kits in 1:72-1:76....can anyone help???
Posted by Milan on Friday, September 16, 2005 3:48 PM
Good Day,

I have a keen interest in Surface to Air missile systems. Does anyone know who makes the best kits of these? I know of the SA-2 from Maquette/Gran/Airfix, the MW kits and the SA-10 from PST.. but what about others?? In Resin??

I am personally interested in the SA-4 Ganef with Transporter, SA-3 Goa with Transporter and SA-5 Gammon with Transporter. Also the ZSU-57-2 is quite interesting....can anyone help??

Cheers
Milan
  • Member since
    November, 2005
Posted by Anonymous on Friday, September 16, 2005 4:45 PM
Let's see ...

Ace makes a ZU-23 gun system in 1/72.

5 Star Models makes a SA-6, a 2S6 "Tunguska" air defense system, but in 1/35th. They used to make an SA-4 in 35th, but that's about all I can think of. The SA-2 is I think the most readily available kit of a soviet SAM in 1/72nd.
  • Member since
    November, 2005
Posted by Anonymous on Friday, September 16, 2005 4:56 PM
Airfix made the SAM dont know if they still do. But if i do will let you know . Sorry i could not be anymore help.Boohoo [BH]
  • Member since
    January, 2004
Posted by derekms on Friday, September 16, 2005 9:15 PM
ACE also makes an SA-13 Gopher and LAV-AD in 1/72 scale.
http://www.acemodel.com.ua/?p=catalogue&l=en
  • Member since
    November, 2005
Posted by Anonymous on Friday, September 16, 2005 10:06 PM
I would like to see more SAM's in 1/72 especially American and Idf. I wanted a 1/72 Nike Hercules so I had to scratchbuild it. Scratchbuilding the missles is a good scratchbuilding project. All you need are some decent drawings and the right tubes (some of the Idf missles are very simple). The launchers and vehicles are another story though.

Heres a picture of my simplistic scratchbuild effort

If they made the 1/72 kits I would get a few

  • Member since
    August, 2003
Posted by Milan on Saturday, September 17, 2005 2:14 AM
Im not too firmilar with the names of the US and IDF missile systems. Care you drop me a few names?


QUOTE: Originally posted by I-beam

I would like to see more SAM's in 1/72 especially American and Idf. I wanted a 1/72 Nike Hercules so I had to scratchbuild it. Scratchbuilding the missles is a good scratchbuilding project. All you need are some decent drawings and the right tubes (some of the Idf missles are very simple). The launchers and vehicles are another story though.

Heres a picture of my simplistic scratchbuild effort

If they made the 1/72 kits I would get a few


  • Member since
    November, 2005
Posted by Anonymous on Saturday, September 17, 2005 6:54 AM
QUOTE: Originally posted by richbasas

Im not too firmilar with the names of the US and IDF missile systems. Care you drop me a few names?


QUOTE: Originally posted by I-beam

I would like to see more SAM's in 1/72 especially American and Idf. I wanted a 1/72 Nike Hercules so I had to scratchbuild it. Scratchbuilding the missles is a good scratchbuilding project. All you need are some decent drawings and the right tubes (some of the Idf missles are very simple). The launchers and vehicles are another story though.

Heres a picture of my simplistic scratchbuild effort

If they made the 1/72 kits I would get a few



  • Member since
    November, 2005
Posted by Anonymous on Saturday, September 17, 2005 7:04 AM
Can't hepl you on this one but Trumpeter are due to release an excellent SA 6 in 1/35th hopefully sometime in October.
  • Member since
    August, 2003
Posted by Milan on Saturday, September 17, 2005 11:15 AM
I dont think i understand your response below....Sorry...


QUOTE: Originally posted by benp

QUOTE: Originally posted by richbasas

Im not too firmilar with the names of the US and IDF missile systems. Care you drop me a few names?


QUOTE: Originally posted by I-beam

I would like to see more SAM's in 1/72 especially American and Idf. I wanted a 1/72 Nike Hercules so I had to scratchbuild it. Scratchbuilding the missles is a good scratchbuilding project. All you need are some decent drawings and the right tubes (some of the Idf missles are very simple). The launchers and vehicles are another story though.

Heres a picture of my simplistic scratchbuild effort

If they made the 1/72 kits I would get a few




  • Member since
    November, 2005
Posted by Anonymous on Saturday, September 17, 2005 12:48 PM
The IDF SAM missles have names like arrow, shavit, hawk, spyder, nimrod, lahat. Here is a good link (click on "launched systems")

http://www.israeli-weapons.com/israeli_weapons.html

I like the HAWK system and especially it's triple launcher. It might be a future project for me.
  • Member since
    August, 2003
Posted by Milan on Sunday, September 18, 2005 1:49 AM
Quite impressive....who makes kits of those u mentioned in 1:72-1:76? What do u usually build in any scale??

QUOTE: Originally posted by I-beam

The IDF SAM missles have names like arrow, shavit, hawk, spyder, nimrod, lahat. Here is a good link (click on "launched systems")

http://www.israeli-weapons.com/israeli_weapons.html

I like the HAWK system and especially it's triple launcher. It might be a future project for me.
  • Member since
    November, 2005
Posted by Anonymous on Sunday, September 18, 2005 8:36 AM
QUOTE: Originally posted by richbasas
Quite impressive....who makes kits of those u mentioned in 1:72-1:76? What do u usually build in any scale??

Thats the problem. Nobody makes these kits and I doubt they will every be made. They have to be scratchbuilt. Sometimes the launchers can be cobbled and kitbashed together from other kits. I build almost all braille scale. I have some 1/35 and 1/76 though.

Some 1/72 US SAM missiles that would be good to have are Patriot (this one would be an easy scratchbuild), Pershing, Titan (actually an ICBM there are kits of this one just not in 1/72), any of the AMRAAM series, any of the RIM series (includes the Sparrow), and any of the MIM series (which includes the Patriot, HAWK and Nike's)
  • Member since
    August, 2003
Posted by Milan on Sunday, September 18, 2005 11:56 AM
So in the end, in which scales do any of these missile kits exist, ICBM or otherwise?

I actually have a kit of a few soviet and US ICBM;s in 1:144 made by monogram in the 1980s....do u know of it??

Cheers
Milan

QUOTE: Originally posted by I-beam

QUOTE: Originally posted by richbasas
Quite impressive....who makes kits of those u mentioned in 1:72-1:76? What do u usually build in any scale??

Thats the problem. Nobody makes these kits and I doubt they will every be made. They have to be scratchbuilt. Sometimes the launchers can be cobbled and kitbashed together from other kits. I build almost all braille scale. I have some 1/35 and 1/76 though.

Some 1/72 US SAM missiles that would be good to have are Patriot (this one would be an easy scratchbuild), Pershing, Titan (actually an ICBM there are kits of this one just not in 1/72), any of the AMRAAM series, any of the RIM series (includes the Sparrow), and any of the MIM series (which includes the Patriot, HAWK and Nike's)

JOIN OUR COMMUNITY!

Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.

SEARCH FORUMS

FREE NEWSLETTER
By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.