Enter keywords or a search phrase below:

What to do with 1/400 fire hose racks?

7 replies
1 rating 2 rating 3 rating 4 rating 5 rating
  • Member since
    February 2004
  • From: Michigan
What to do with 1/400 fire hose racks?
Posted by gawrycht on Wednesday, May 22, 2019 7:07 PM

I decided to build my first ship model ... the 1/400 scale Blyskawica by Mirage.  Deciding to upgrade from a OOB build, I purchased some brass barrels, PE anchors, chain, and watertight doors.  As a bonus, the fret of doors also included various hatches, life rings, and fire hose racks.  Obviously the doors and hatches are pretty self explanatory; but those fire hose racks!  Can't figure out what to do with those.  At first I was thinking they were deck mounted, which would mean (I think...) bending and joining two of them together.  Now that I look more closely, though, I am wondering if they are more like a reel mounted on a bulkhead. 

And that's where my lack of knowledge on all things nautical comes into play.  How and where are those hose racks installed?  I can leave them off, since I don't know, but I hate not using the PE I get for a model and, honestly, I hate not knowing what to do with them even more.  The set I got was the GMM 1/400 watertight doors set.  Has anyone worked with that set, or any other that includes fire hose racks, that can tell me what to do with them?  Appreciate any info you can share!

  • Member since
    November 2005
  • From: Formerly Bryan, now Arlington, Texas
Posted by CapnMac82 on Wednesday, May 22, 2019 7:44 PM

You may have to go searching for reference photos.

Some racks hold folded hose:

Other racks are a reel one hose-width wide.

Various kinds are used on board ship.

  • Member since
    March 2003
  • From: Towson MD
Posted by gregbale on Wednesday, May 22, 2019 7:46 PM

Don't worry. Unless you've served on a warship...and most of us haven't...a lot of the detail is new and strange until you've started seeing countless old photos to be able to pick them out.

Google 'warship fire hoses' and you'll see photos of typical installations. They're usually prominently mounted on exterior bulkheads at intervals, to be able to reach key areas. If you can find drawings of your ship or similar types, you can often spot the hose racks once you know what you're looking for.

Good luck...and please be sure to share your build if you'd care to. We'd love to see it. Big Smile


 George Lewis:

"Every time you correct me on my grammar I love you a little fewer."
  • Member since
    September 2012
Posted by GMorrison on Wednesday, May 22, 2019 8:02 PM

I couldn't find any fire hose racks. Usually it's a give away if there's a valve or hydrant right next to it. Lots of other interesting details. The pattern of the watertight doors is unusual to me anyways.

The racks vary a lot, but pretty common is a D shaped basket, open side up. The hose gets coiled and dumped into it.

Nice subject, look forward to seeing it built.


Modeling is an excuse to buy books


  • Member since
    July 2014
  • From: Philadelphia Pa
Posted by Nino on Wednesday, May 22, 2019 9:24 PM

I believe you have these:


They are wall (bulkhead) mounted. They already have the connection to the "main". 

     I cannot find any Ships photo's in my collection that match these.  I thought I recalled a Destroyer Escort with this style rack but did not locate it.

    It will add some detail to the bulkheads so unless you find a good reason not to, I recommend using them...BUT It is your call.   

Paint'em first!  ... And maybe add some thickness to the Main pipe to make it look more 3 dimensional.




  • Member since
    September 2012
Posted by GMorrison on Wednesday, May 22, 2019 9:28 PM

I wouldn't bother. The PE is not ship specific anyways.

Modeling is an excuse to buy books


  • Member since
    June 2014
  • From: New Braunfels , Texas
Posted by Tanker - Builder on Thursday, May 23, 2019 8:33 AM


 I got to tell you. I won't use P.E hose racks.They look too flat! So if you can find resin or shave some off another kit, don't bother. No one will notice UNLESS you are going to compete with it.  T.B.      P.S now that most of my ships ( Tramp Steamers and Tankers of all types) are either H.O. (1/87 or N.(1/160 ) I use everything I can to detail them .  

  • Member since
    May 2010
Posted by amphib on Thursday, May 23, 2019 12:27 PM

Those are the type of racks that were on the ship I was on except the half moon rack was painted red and the hose was a dark gray


Our community is FREE to join. To participate you must either login or register for an account.


By signing up you may also receive reader surveys and occasional special offers. We do not sell, rent or trade our email lists. View our Privacy Policy.