Second attempt with airbrushing acrylics, a success.
Posted by scigs30
on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 4:52 PM
In my attempt to begin airbrushing inside the house, I decided to switch to acrylics. My choice of acylics is limited to Testors since that is what my hobby store carries and I dont really want to have to order paint online. It is so nice to drive a mile and get the color I need at anytime. My first attempt with airbrushing Testors acrylic on my ME109 went well until I peeled off my masking tape. The ME109 was primed with Testors acrylic primer and after peeling away masking tape some of the paint peeled off the plastic. The thing I liked was how well the paint sprayed and how easy it was to clean. This time I took an old Revell P40 that had missing parts and broken parts and tried using acrylics again. This time I once again first washed the plastic and built the model. I then primed the plane with Testors fine gray primer from spray can. I then sprayed Testors acrylics with no issues once again. I did hardline masking since I really wanted to test the adhesion of the paint, I masked everything. Instead of using Tamyia masking tape, I went with straight Home Depot 3M scotch tape, straight from the roll to the model. After all the masking there was no peeling of the acylics what so ever. I then airbrushed Testors gloss acrylic clear and applied the decals with Testors setting solution. I then sprayed the model with Testors Acylic flat coat. I will now begin building my older Monogram models using Testors acylics.